Search function on the forum

It has to be said that the search function on this forum is VERY! poor. example: I searched for 3 key words when I opened most the the threads they didn't contain a single word of what I searched for. :no::}

It makes using the forums a huge pain and most of the time I find my self going elsewhere.

help for search

And then, see whether you are using the google search field (on top) or the forum's own search function. For most purposes, the forum's search is extremely powerful (which incidentally, no one can do a THING about, since its Invision software, and all boards running on IPB will have the same search :P). If you take 5 mins to figure out how the "advanced search" works, you'll find it much more helpful. In most cases, using Invision search is just like google's search, with the difference that searching for multiple terms is a bit more intricate to learn.

Google is also rubish for me when I can't find what I'm looking for.
;):yes:

@greekos_kentos

It might take some minutes before anyone can fully understand how the search works (in general - even google search is not learnt instantly, it took some learning before you understood how to use it for your purpose, right?).

The search on all Invision forums is the same.... and its very powerful (much better than phpBB which is suddenly enjoying popularity). Whatever I search, I get the result I'm looking for, how is that? Just take 5 minutes to learn....

• 2 weeks later...

I fail to see how a search function that when you search for 2 pictular terms. The top 5 results do not contain a single word of the two words searched for is any good? I've tryied to use the search function here many many times and can hardly ever find what I am looking for. All other boards i use i no trouble. :(

I fail to see how a search function that when you search for 2 pictular terms. The top 5 results do not contain a single word of the two words searched for is any good? I've tryied to use the search function here many many times and can hardly ever find what I am looking for. All other boards i use i  no trouble.  :(

it's probally because the "two words" in quesiton are neither in the same post of the topic or on the same page. This search function is the same from all other IPB forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, Ill have to admit theres definately something up with the search lately...

I use the '+word1 +word2 +word3' all the time and it wasnt until the last couple weeks that I constantly get nothing but 'search not found please broaden search...' and these are things that I know have threads that contain the words Im searching for...

What makes me think something has in fact changed... on the 'advanced search' screen (the search button at the top of the forum), I couldve sworn there used to be a link directly under the search field that when clicked brought up a pop up window with search tips or something... I know that it was in this pop up that I found out about the '+word1 +word2 etc' method of searching... Has it been updated / changed in the last couple weeks?

For example.. try searching for any one of the following that claim there arent threads that meet the criteria:

+netuser +password +expire

but this thread does in fact contain each of these terms

+network +tray

hell, this thread has both of these in the title, let alone numerous times throughout the thread!

These are just a couple examples and if you really want more, I can give you plently as Ive run into this issue numerous times over the last couple weeks.

I hope someone figures something out with this cause up until recently, Ive never had a problem with finding what I need with the search function... let alone all of the duplicate questions newbs will post cause search didnt find it for them...

but this thread

Thanks!