extract .\i386\winlogon.ex_ and check the file version

(note: WIN51IP = Pro // WIN51IC = Home)

for WindowsXP the ver.# is 5.1.2600.0

the root dir contains 'WIN51IP' or 'WIN51IC'

for WindowsXP SP1 the ver.# is 5.1.2600.1106

the root dir contains 'WIN51IP.SP1' or 'WIN51IC.SP1'

for WindowsXP SP2 the ver.# is 5.1.2600.2180

the root dir contains 'WIN51IP.SP2' or 'WIN51IC.SP2'

'WIN51' on its own is common to all these.

sharky

So the bottomline is you can not buy this version any more.
Yes, MS officially says once an SP is released, versions without the SP cannot be sold (atleast, if you want to stick to legality).

@Soldier1st

Yes, SP1 makes it better - but it becomes a useless junk when you want to move on to SP2. The old SP1 stuff stays on and increases size of the CD.

prath thanks

@Soldier1st

Yes, SP1 makes it better - but it becomes a useless junk when you want to move on to SP2. The old SP1 stuff stays on and increases size of the CD.

This true as well M$ should never intergrate sp imo let the enduser do it.

I really wouldnt trust downloading a warez version of an OS anyways, not only would I classify that as more illegal then downloading a warez game, but yeah, its an OS, and you just downloaded it, and its been through a lot of people before it got to you..

actually, it depends on how much you wanna spend....

You can still legally acquire an XP RTM CD, but not from a store. Now, if you were to purchase one of those MSDN OS licenses or above that includes the OSs, you should be able to download them. My friend has a OS license and he's able to download OSs back to Windows 98, even though it's not supported. They're still available because people still use it, and MSDN is primarily for developers.

But like I said, how much you wanna spend?

If 'gold' means without service packs - then this is a 'gold' version;

unregistered, unsused, unwrapped, retail boxed full version, completely legitimate from Microsoft staff, to me, for winning a compo on the day of a conference. 

How can you POSSIBLY even know if it's service pack free without opening it? SP1 came out what..... 2001? You most likely have a nice retail SP1 slipstreamed CD.

i have it i have it B)

It doesn't mean you can give it to him... Legally...

i never implied that, and even if i did want to give it to him i could, i could let's see give it to him via gmail, upload it to my ftp, or web server...gee....

how do i send thee let me count the ways.....

gamehead200 just b/c i said I have it, did/does not mean i will redistribute it. and according to my partner agreement with m$ i can do whatever the heck i want B)

i wonder what you'll interpret that as...i've been here a mere week (registered on the forum) and am not a big fan of yours oh guru mod gamefreak200

i apologize if i offended anyone else