RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

Regarding the compression program problem. I followed your guide integrating the pack & manually nliting put it together with my OEM structure for unattended ran in Virtual PC all other programs installed & ran ok but the three comp. progs would not install & run? I realize VPC won't install & run certain programs but this has not been the case previously with these comp. programs. I installed the new disk on my test machine with the same result. I'll manually install these programs & see if the problem persists.

I have no idea what's going on. Like I said a bit ago, I was able to manually install WinRAR 3.4 just fine. I don't know of anything in my pack which could be causing issues like that. Everything is quite self-contained.

Thanks for the new release.

Quite happy someone facilitates our life.

I have a question though: is the tcpip.sys in the pack patched to allow unlimited connections ? If not, could I just place the one found in those forums over the one in your pack?

Thanks.

Thanks for the new release.

Quite happy someone facilitates our life.

:lol:, something like that :P

I have a question though: is the tcpip.sys in the pack patched to allow unlimited connections ? If not, could I just place the one found in those forums over the one in your pack?

Thanks.

No, it's not patched for unlimited connections. I actually originally put the patched file in the pack, but later decided to go back to the original for a few reasons which I'll explain to you.

First, I want as many files in the pack to be protected by Windows File Protection as possible. The patched version (as you would imagine) has a different checksum from the original, so the security catalog doesn't recognize it as valid and hence won't protect it.

Second, most average users will see no benefit from patching the file, and patching the file is (for the average user) something that's irreversible (as opposed to SFC_OS.dll, which can be patched but still have WFP enabled). Those who can actually use the patched file (pretty much if you're using P2P apps) will be able to patch it easily afterwards.

Yes, you can patch the file, fix the CRC header with ModifyPE, and makecab the file and replace it on the CD. The only real downside is that it won't be protected by Windows File Protection and the registry entry for the checksum will be incorrect, which might throw off qfecheck (it's very easy to change that, though).

EDIT: Also, nLite will still allow you to patch the file. And nuhi's slaving away on an updated version which natively supports this pack as I write this :):D

Thanks for replying.

That's what I thought.

So, am I right in assuming that I can perform the copy of the hacked tcpip.sys from RunOnceEx ?

I guess by then the KB would have been applied and I could safely replace the file ?

Thank you.

P.S: There is no way to have Windows protect this hacked file ? Not even a hack of something ?

Thanks for replying.

That's what I thought.

So, am I right in assuming that I can perform the copy of the hacked tcpip.sys from RunOnceEx ?

Yes, that would be fine.

I guess by then the KB would have been applied and I could safely replace the file ?
The registry entries for the Hotfix are applied somewhere around the T-39 stage of setup (ain't it cool? B)), so that should be OK.
P.S: There is no way to have Windows protect this hacked file ? Not even a hack of something ?
That's what I'm currently working on figuring out. What'll have to be done is to create a digitally signed CAT file that says that the file with that checksum is OK. Easier said than done, but I've got some tools that'll hopefully allow me to accomplish that feat (i'd like to be able to protect some other files in the pack as well which are currently unprotected).

@RyanVM,

first of all: great work!

I really like the Lite-Pack.

My question: Can I customize your Pack?

Because I install Flash using the Shockwave Player 10.1 and Flash Player 7 installation package.

What should I remove from the Pack, so Flash isn't in it anymore?

And can I grab makecab from the Full-Pack and add it to my CD?

Does it need any entries in the infs or in the registry?

Keep up the great work :thumbup

@RyanVM,

first of all: great work!

I really like the Lite-Pack.

My question: Can I customize your Pack?

Because I install Flash using the Shockwave Player 10.1 and Flash Player 7 installation package.

What should I remove from the Pack, so Flash isn't in it anymore?

Don't extract flash.oc_ or swflash.in_ from the CAB download.

And can I grab makecab from the Full-Pack and add it to my CD?

Does it need any entries in the infs or in the registry?

You can just pull makecab.ex_ out of the full pack and replace it with the version in i386. Or just PM me with your email address and I can send it to you.
Keep up the great work :thumbup

i would like to use every thing but these can this be done . if so how thanks for a good add on pack

Microsoft Calculator Plus 1.0

Microsoft Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0

Hacked sfc_os.dll (WFP still on by default)

Hacked uxtheme.dll (Allows unsigned themes)

This is great..now we don't need to bother with the WindowsUpdate problems any more...or leaving 2, 3 services just for that purpose.

Unless there is someone here who's not reinstalling every week...heh

Thx Ryan.

i would like to use every thing but these can this be done . if so how  thanks for a good add on pack

Absolutely. Just download the full pack and extract it to a directory other than i386. You can expand the INF file to see which files belong to those components and delete them.

Might I ask why you don't want those files specifically? CalcPlus has the same look and functionality as the original calc.exe, but it has some improved functions. RDC is the same as before, but with an option to automatically reconnect if disconnected. The hacked SFC_OS by default still leaves WFP on. You'd still have to edit the registry if you want WFP turned off. The hacked uxtheme won't impact you at all until you want to use unsigned themes. If you stick to signed themes, there's no difference at all.

i would like to use every thing but these can this be done . if so how  thanks for a good add on pack

Absolutely. Just download the full pack and extract it to a directory other than i386. You can expand the INF file to see which files belong to those components and delete them.

Might I ask why you don't want those files specifically? CalcPlus has the same look and functionality as the original calc.exe, but it has some improved functions. RDC is the same as before, but with an option to automatically reconnect if disconnected. The hacked SFC_OS by default still leaves WFP on. You'd still have to edit the registry if you want WFP turned off. The hacked uxtheme won't impact you at all until you want to use unsigned themes. If you stick to signed themes, there's no difference at all.

i have no use for rdc or the calc or themes plus i remove all that with nlite

i have no use for rdc or the calc or themes plus i remove all that with nlite
If you remove them with nLite, then there's no point in going through the hassle of taking them out manually. nLite will still get rid of them like normal.

EDIT: Assuming you follow my nLite instructions, anyway. Component removal happens after the pack is extracted.

I would like to cast a vote for instead of having svcpack.inf and sysoc.inf in your pack, that you include instructions...what if people actually already have their svcpack.inf, then they copy yours over and it overwrites what they have done...like mp10 or dotnetfx...also, those who have other optional components, if they copy yours over, the one they already edited will be gone, and you may get lots of questions as to what happened...just personally, I would include instructions for those files, instead of the files. THANKS RyanVM lol.