RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

I guess that's a throw back to my Win 3.1 days. Multiple sections in INI files was a bad thing. I see that and cringe..

BTW, Very slick how you did this making use of the OCM. Looking at how you did the hotfixes themselves; I wish this is what the /integrate option had done. Only issue I can see is  your're going to have to hand update this for  every hotfix which could get tedious. Wonder if there is anything we can do about that. Worth talking through. I don't mind helping maintain it if need be.

Incidentally, the [ProductCatalogsToInstall] section actually does something? I've played with that a few times with hotfixes and never seems to matter if I have anything in there or not. Only thing I could figure was that it provides a list of opional CATs to search through.

Actually, updating for new hotfixes is VERY easy with this method. In fact, the main reason I did it this what is exactly because of that. I'm planning on making upgrade packs when new hotfixes come out so people don't have to download the full 5+MB archive every time.

All it'll take is an update HotfixUpdates.inf and of course the newer files :D

(EDIT: Put it this way, it took me about 15 minutes to add KB885523 into it the other day, and the vast majority of that was me having to install the update in VPC to get the registry entries added for it)

And yes, [ProductCatalogsToInstall] is vital to the proper installation of the hotfixes :). It's that stage that allows the updated files to be protected by WFP (can be confirmed by finding them in dllcache).

Yeah, The registry observation is what I considered a pita. I guess its not really too bad.

I figured it was something like that. I've never been able to locate something that definitively said that it was an alternate search source for WFP.

Overall outstanding job. I have a build runnign right now on my two primary laptop platforms to see how it goes.

What you intending to do with makecat? :w00t:

Hmm, there's and interesting thought. Doing it this way, I'll end up with the hotfixes potentially in the recovery console build as well as the main build. I don't think I've ever looked to see if svcpack.inf was executed when cmdcons was installed.

@RyanVM

In HOTFIXUPDATES.INF I see few C:\WINDOWS which mean it is not drive independent.

Why not replace C:\WINDOWS with %10%

Maybe you have a good reason to do so but I just give you this idea to be able to have correct path if the installation drive is not C:

BTW Good work

:thumbup

@RyanVM

In HOTFIXUPDATES.INF I see few C:\WINDOWS which mean it is not drive independent.

Why not replace C:\WINDOWS with %10%

Maybe you have a good reason to do so but I just give you this idea to be able to have correct path if the installation drive is not C:

BTW Good work

:thumbup

Good idea. Consider it done.

@RyanVM

(EDIT: Put it this way, it took me about 15 minutes to add KB885523 into it the other day, and the vast majority of that was me having to install the update in VPC to get the registry entries added for it)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an INF file included with the hotfix, with the neccesary registry changes?

Thanks for this pack and you did an great work :thumbup

I have downloaded the lite version, because i have french version of Windows.

One question, perhaps a stupide question :

How do i know if it's installed and how i know the differents with your pack and without your pack?

Ooops sorry they are 2 questions :whistle:

Thank you again

Irving

@RyanVM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an INF file included with the hotfix, with the neccesary registry changes?

There's a few problems with the INF file included. First, there's a crap ton of extraneous garbage in them that isn't necessary. Second, I looked through them before, and frankly I didn't see the entries that were needed in them :lol:.

I just install the fix in VPC then run ART on it to see the changes. Generally, it's just adding the entries to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates key and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix key.

Thanks for this pack and you did an great work  :thumbup

I have downloaded the lite version, because i have french version of Windows.

One question, perhaps a stupide question :

How do i know if it's installed and how i know the differents with your pack and without your pack?

Ooops sorry they are 2 questions  :whistle:

Thank you again

Irving

Actually, that's a very good question. And there's a couple of ways to verify that it's installed correctly.

First, at the T-12 stage of setup, you'll see a little window pop up with a title of "Updating Registry". That's my pack adding a couple extra registry entries that can't be added from INF files. That'll tell you that the INF executed properly.

To verify that the hotfixes are installed, you can do a couple things. First, you can go to Windows Update. If everything is installed OK, only Windows Journal Viewer and Windows Media Player 10 will be on there.

Second, you can download the program "qfecheck" from Microsoft (it's also included in the full pack), and it can verify that the hotfixes installed are up to date.

Third, you can go into c:\windows\system32\dllcache. In there, you'll see all the files currently protected by Windows File Protection. You'll see tcpip.sys build 5.1.2600.2505 and update.sys buid 5.1.2600.2508 in there (amongst a few others). Those are the hotfixed versions.

Fourth, you can go into c:\windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}. There you'll see KB884020.cat, KB885523.cat, KB885626.cat, and scripten.cat. Those cat files were all installed by my INF file.

Thanks for your replay :)

I will look it in the windows system those files.

First, at the T-12 stage of setup, you'll see a little window pop up with a title of "Updating Registry". That's my pack adding a couple extra registry entries that can't be added from INF files. That'll tell you that the INF executed properly.

I don't see much about little window pop up, because installation are so quick that don't see those windows, perhaps look more carefully.

But anyway, you did an great work :):thumbup:thumbup

Irving