RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

I would like to cast a vote for instead of having svcpack.inf and sysoc.inf in your pack, that you include instructions...what if people actually already have their svcpack.inf, then they copy yours over and it overwrites what they have done...like mp10 or dotnetfx...also, those who have other optional components, if they copy yours over, the one they already edited will be gone, and you may get lots of questions as to what happened...just personally, I would include instructions for those files, instead of the files.  THANKS RyanVM lol.

Short answer: this isn't a democracy, so no :P

Now for the long answer. My directions explicitly say that the pack should be extracted immediately after slipstreaming SP2. The main reason for saying that is exactly what you pointed out. Second, I'm aiming for the widest audience possible with this. The fewer modifications people have to make, the better. Many people are very uncomfortable opening up even two relatively straightforward files for editing, let alone decompressing, editing, and recompressing the files. Not to mention that the more editing people are required to do, the more likely they are to make mistakes. I for one don't like troubleshooting other people when it's a mistake on their end, not mine.

So bottom line is that if people follow the directions on my page, they won't have problems ;)

However, I can (and probably will) edit the page with directions for those who don't want to extract sysoc.inf and svcpack.inf and would rather edit it themselves. I will not be taking them out of the pack, however.

Honestly, you prolly dont even need to do that...and the reason is that most of the people that DO edit those files are already gonna know what to be on the lookout for...plus your svcpack.inf is compressed...and i believe the instructions here say to leave it uncompressed, so that shouldnt cause problems...but, yea, I would just put a little note saying (this pack does include svcpack.in_ and sys_oc.in_ so if you have edited those files, dont copy the ones in the pack over) something like that....course, I already knew they were going to be overwritten ;) ...Great job though...

PS (whats this NAME CHANGE stuff...LOL just messin with ya)

Honestly, you prolly dont even need to do that...and the reason is that most of the people that DO edit those files are already gonna know what to be on the lookout for...plus your svcpack.inf is compressed...and i believe the instructions here say to leave it uncompressed, so that shouldnt cause problems...but, yea, I would just put a little note saying (this pack does include svcpack.in_ and sys_oc.in_ so if you have edited those files, dont copy the ones in the pack over)  something like that....course, I already knew they were going to be overwritten  ;) ...Great job though...

PS (whats this NAME CHANGE stuff...LOL  just messin with ya)

I like to keep my beta testers on their toes ;):P:D

BTW, thanks again for your help in getting this out the door.

With RunOnceEx.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Configuration des logiciels" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "MSN Messenger 6.2" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Messenger62\MsnMsgs.msi /qn" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Install\Messenger62\messengeroff.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "MSN Messenger Plus! 3.20" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\MsgPlus320\MsgPlus-320.exe /SilentInstallNoSponsor" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 2 /D "pskill.exe MsgPlus.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 3 /D "pskill.exe msnmsgr.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 10" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\WMP10\MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:\"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore\"" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /VE /D "Tag&Rename 3.1.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Tag&Rename315\TagRename315.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /NORESTART" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "WinRAR 3.40 Fr" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Winrar\Winrarfr.exe /s /W" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /VE /D "Démarrer" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

Before it's works great.

@kelsenellenelvian, yes...just make sure to delete the old cab and in_ file...and also make sure to update txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf with the new names of the cab and inf...as I believe the last pack was named differently than this one...but yea, shouldnt be too hard to update to the new pack...as far as overwriting other, things, go ahead and overwrite with the new files.

@Alpheratz, the pack should not have done anything to your install of msn/plus...are you sure that the files are on the cd - i had trouble once where I recorded an iso and yahoo was corrupted, so it didnt install...A few people have tested this out, and I can assure you I had no trouble getting msn msgr and msgplus installed...

@evilvoice:

Yes it's not installed, but its in $OEM$\$1\Install\Messenger62 and $OEM$\$1\Install\MsgPlus320, all are there, they are not move from there.

Before in RunOnceEx.cmd you see that go installer, after (now) it's go right to another programme without installer Msn messenger...

I mean before it's take 1 minute to install and now 1 sec..you see?

I don't understand why.

Ps

I have the lite one version 1.00

Irving

I think what is wrong, it's in Dosnet.inf.

I didn't put [files], because in my dosnet.inf are not [files] inside, do i make it?

Here are my dosnet.inf

[Version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2600.2180

[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d2 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d3 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386
d4 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

[Miscellaneous]
ProductType = 0

MinimumMemory = 67108864

DestinationPlatform = i386

ServicePack = 2.0

[UnsupportedArchitectures]
halcbus.dll   = %cbus2_mp%
halcbusm.dll  = %cbusmc_mp%
halmca.dll    = %mca_up%
halmpsm.dll   = %mps_mca_mp%
halncr.dll    = %ncr_mp%
missprocfeat  = %missing_proc_feat%

Must i do by meself [files] ????

Thank you

Irving

SO can i just put this in over your first pack and change the inf files???

Directly from the changelog:

For these reasons, there will be no 1.0.0-->1.0.1 upgrade patch to download. Please re-integrate the pack on a fresh XP CD following the new installation directions.

I think what is wrong, it's in Dosnet.inf.

I didn't put [files], because in my dosnet.inf are not [files] inside, do i make it?

Here are my dosnet.inf

[Version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2600.2180

[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d2 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d3 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386
d4 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

[Miscellaneous]
ProductType = 0

MinimumMemory = 67108864

DestinationPlatform = i386

ServicePack = 2.0

[UnsupportedArchitectures]
halcbus.dll   = %cbus2_mp%
halcbusm.dll  = %cbusmc_mp%
halmca.dll    = %mca_up%
halmpsm.dll   = %mps_mca_mp%
halncr.dll    = %ncr_mp%
missprocfeat  = %missing_proc_feat%

Must i do by meself [files] ????

Thank you

Irving

dosnet.inf is a hell of a lot longer than that. Scroll down a bit. Or you could always do a trusty Ctrl+F to find it.

Installation Instructions

Manual installation for both the Lite and Full packs.

UNPACKING

Unpack the CAB archive to the i386 directory of your Windows XP SP2 Installation Source (ideally, this pack should be extracted immediately following SP2 slipstreaming). Overwrite all files when prompted to.

DOSNET.INF

Find the first [Files]section and add the following lines:

d1,RVMUpPck.inf

d1,RVMUpPck.cab

TXTSETUP.SIF

Find the first [sourceDisksFiles] section and add the following lines:

RVMUpPck.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

RVMUpPck.cab = 100,,,,,,_x,,3,3

Does it matter WHERE in DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF I put those lines? Is it OK if I put your new lines FIRST, before all the code that was already there?