Windows Update Security Warning

MtK

I did see something a while ago that explained how to install windows update v4 silently, i assume you could do the same thing with WU v5...

Looking back through my notes, i found the following (related to WUv4, so adjust it as required), it's something I probably copy/pasted from some other thread on this site, or maybe somewhere else, i dunno, but here it is...

Download WU from http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/...icode/iuctl.cab -- Extract the .cab file to a temp dir, to manually install right click the iuctl.inf file and select Install.

or in a batch file use the following to auto install (adjust path to suit):

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\Hotfixes\iuctl.inf

I just tried changing the v4 in that URL to v5 to test it but it just took me to the WU site rather than giving me the cab file to download, so I'll leave it to you to find the package you need.

Hope that helps somewhat, or at least shows you it was possible so you don't give up just yet...

Regards :)

I did see something a while ago that explained how to install windows update v4 silently, i assume you could do the same thing with WU v5...

Looking back through my notes, i found the following (related to WUv4, so adjust it as required), it's something I probably copy/pasted from some other thread on this site, or maybe somewhere else, i dunno, but here it is...

Download WU from http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/...icode/iuctl.cab -- Extract the .cab file to a temp dir, to manually install right click the iuctl.inf file and select Install.

or in a batch file use the following to auto install (adjust path to suit):

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\Hotfixes\iuctl.inf

I just tried changing the v4 in that URL to v5 to test it but it just took me to the WU site rather than giving me the cab file to download, so I'll leave it to you to find the package you need.

Hope that helps somewhat, or at least shows you it was possible so you don't give up just yet...

Regards :)

Windows Update version 5 is different in that you can't simply "install" from an INF file. There are many files involved and you have to register the proper dlls after installation to get it to work.

Here are all the files involved when installing Windows Update V5

post-70-1096175683_thumb.png

You can find all those files here: http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/Self...te/AU/x86/XP/en :) Just get the filenames from Metzen's screenshot and add them to this url. Now all we have to do is find out how to install it (I believe wusetup.inf (included in wusetup.cab) installs everything...).

edit1: stupid me, the urls are included in Metzen's screen :blushing:

edit2: after downloading all those files, I extracted them in one directory and this (see attachment) is what I got (note that both the files and my OS are Dutch :)).

edit3: Here's also a list of where you can find the files on your systemdrive (I couldn't find the ones that are blank):

cdm.dll      = Windows\system32
iuengine.dll = Windows\system32
wuapi.cat    =
wuapi.dll    = Windows\system32
wuapi.inf    =
wuau.adm     = Windows\inf
wuauclt.exe  = Windows\system32
wuauclt1.exe = Windows\system32
wuaucpl.cpl  = Windows\system32
wuaueng.cat  =
wuaueng.dll  = Windows\system32
wuaueng.inf  =
wuaueng1.cat =
wuaueng1.dll = Windows\system32
wuaueng1.inf =
wuauhelp.chm = Windows\Help
wucltui.cat  =
wucltui.dll  = Windows\system32
wucltui.inf  =
wuident.txt  = Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate & Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup
wups.cat     =
wups.dll     = Windows\system32
wups.inf     =
wuredir.xml  = Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77
wusetup.cat  = Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate & Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup
wusetup.inf  = Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate & Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup
wuweb.cat    =
wuweb.dll    = Windows\system32
wuweb.inf    =

Phew, I'm going to take a break now :P

post-70-1096191248_thumb.png

OK, I've got them all. Time for playtime B)

And now for some good news...

If you take the following 13 files from the cabs downloaded from the image above, compress them and put the files in your i386 folder (replacing the old ones), Windows Update v5 works as if everything was installed.

cdm.dll

iuengine.dll

wuapi.dll

wuau.adm

wuauclt.exe

wuauclt1.exe

wuaucpl.cpl

wuaueng.dll

wuaueng1.dll

wuauhelp.chm

wucltui.dll

wups.dll