Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

how can i automaticly integrate the moox builds (http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/)?

or do i have to install silently first and then integrate by unpacking moox?

but that would thake another 6mb on my cd..

Well, as long as you want to use the Firefox installer you most likely won't succeed in integrating those moox builds into the installer based routine. So your presumption to install silently first and then unpack the moox files over your earlier installation is certainly right. :)

And about that 6mb issue ... no comment! :wacko:

By the way: I myself prefer http://firefox.dbltree.com/ -method for a silent installation if you want to include certain extensions, etc. since nobody could explain me what would be the advantages of Simon's method compared to that. :no: And if you just want to have a clean (and silent) install I'd suggest to simply change the config.ini directive "Run Mode=" to "Silent" or "Auto" as described in this file.

@Astalavista, nice that people can now select what they preffer, no offense :)

@crahak is easy, a simple explanation on how to built your own: unpack the file with winrar and you'll notice you can open xpi files with winrar (zip compressed). just edit, replace and so on... (prefs.js, bookmarks.html, .jar files...). then repack everything again with the mozilla installer as you already know. i spent only 10 minutes converting my localized language setup to the english one.

@Astalavista sinceraly i don't have idea but i can guess... because of the %APPDATA%\Mozilla paths, when you create a new user a new folder is created and the chrome folder is different too, so... a different user don't have the same extensions/themes and preferences.

@thehalon basically you'll need to rebuilt the installer, you can take a reference in the first post - step 1 - of this guide.

now let me defend my way :)

differences between msi methods: you can safely edit my installation and add your custom settings you just need winrar (what a wonderful program). msi installers don't have that nice MSFN bookmar ( :P ) and that amount of included plugins and the most important in the unattended world, silent by default, no need of /qn/qb switches. hey! forgot the most important, that good looking firefox icon (xDDD)

now Supperfast Download!! provided by buletov.

Teh Click^!

Apart from all things already said, I've got a general question:

Looking at the unpacked Firefox installer directory there you can also see some .xpi files. And software extensions of Mozilla and Firefox respectively have this xpi ending, too. Soooo ... wouldn't it be possible to edit the config.ini file suitably to let the setup routine install one's own extensions as well in one step?

To make it clearer: help.xpi which is one of the default components seems to get installed by the following paragraph in config.ini

[Component Help]
Description Short=Firefox Hilfe
Description Long=Firefox Hilfe
Archive=help.xpi
Install Size=449
Install Size System=0
Attributes=SELECTED|INVISIBLE|FORCE_UPGRADE
Force Upgrade File0=[SETUP PATH]\chrome\help.jar
FileCount=      1

Couldn't this be adapted for any xpi extension which should be installed along with the default ones?

@thehalon Yes, I've been meaning to use that version too.

@SiMoNsAyS

Hmm, no I did not know the xpi files were in fact zip compressed (never looked into it). Looks like I got some homework to do. It might not be very complex (not sure - haven't peeked yet) nor very time consuming, but it doesn't look like a very easy way to maintain it either. What I'd really want is some way of just replacing the new plugins (add/replace xpi's) and have a script wrap it all together or something along those lines. Yes, you can call me lazy ;)

Firefox is a great browser, but installing it could be a lot easier. There's nearly a dozen different installers and methods. I'm not exactly sure how all of them work (I need some time to sit down and read/try some of them) and how easy they are to customize/maintain, or which ones have pre-made default profiles that you can configure and such... There's just too much to keep up with! And you can't just make the install once and you're done, it's a ongoing thing (lots of new versions, plugins being constantly updated/fixed and everything) so you gotta keep updating it...

I'll try to spend some time to look at it tomorrow...

Looking at the unpacked Firefox installer directory there you can also see some .xpi files. And software extensions of Mozilla and Firefox respectively have this xpi ending, too. Soooo ... wouldn't it be possible to edit the config.ini file suitably to let the setup routine install one's own extensions as well in one step?

To make it clearer: help.xpi which is one of the default components seems to get installed by the following paragraph in config.ini

[Component Help]
Archive=help.xpi
Install Size=449
Install Size System=0
FileCount=      1

Couldn't this be adapted for any xpi extension which should be installed along with the default ones?

Ive tried what you are suggesting, i couldnt get it too work, i even compared the help.xpi to other extensions and edited them, still couldnt get it too work.

All this was on the PR release, havent tried it now, but im certain its the same.

because of the %APPDATA%\Mozilla paths, when you create a new user a new folder is created and the chrome folder is different too, so... a different user don't have the same extensions/themes and preferences.

That is so true. I was building my msi, and in my experience, it works for me everytime, but not if I install it on a different pc.

****! I still can't figure out how to execute a script at the end of the installation in the msi!!

****!  I still can't figure out how to execute a script at the end of the installation in the msi!!

You can use IEXPRESS.EXE

Write a script and create an install package with IEXPRESS

Your script can start /wait the installation of the MSI and then continue with some commands.

I do it myself with a batch file and you can hide the cmd.exe windows.

It's an idea

[Component Help]
Archive=help.xpi
Install Size=449
Install Size System=0
FileCount=      1

Ive tried what you are suggesting, i couldnt get it too work, i even compared the help.xpi to other extensions and edited them, still couldnt get it too work.

All this was on the PR release, havent tried it now, but im certain its the same.

Oh well! :( Thanks for your info on that. It's really a pity it doesn't work out as supposed. It would be a really nice and als somewhat clean way of installing what extensions ever by the usual setup routine. I hardly dare to say it must be possible to get this "method" to work anyway but I guess one would have to have deep knowledge of FireFox's own installation process to get there. :}

simonsays

@Astalavista sinceraly i don't have idea but i can guess... because of the %APPDATA%\Mozilla paths, when you create a new user a new folder is created and the chrome folder is different too, so... a different user don't have the same extensions/themes and preferences.

:realmad: what where the developers thinking?!

If i have 10 users on a particular workstation, that means if they all want to use

flashgot or whatever extension they have to individually download flashgot :wacko:

question if u install google toolbar on IE doesn't it get applied to all users?

question if u install google toolbar on IE doesn't it get applied to all users?

IE doesn't have a profile manager :P and if you are not an admin you can't access other users' favorites/temp files :) ... and IE sucks :thumbdown:lol:

tip: old versions of firefox (firebird) created a shortcut to the profile manager that now is not created (or at least for me not), to run it "firefox.exe /p" (no instances of the browser must be running).

Edited by SiMoNsAyS