Has a valid key slipped through?

XL-DJK

You may also see the keys in Service Packs for Windows 2000. When I first slipstreamed SP3 in W2K I noticed a product key in the unattend.txt file. I tried it and it didn't work in this case. I just assumed it was a sample but non-working product key. :}

It seems as though Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot this time... the blacklisted keys can be used for retail and oem versions now, and the Windows Update v5 works with them (Virtual PC install of Home Edition retail using a blacklisted volume key, and it works). Microsoft made a big mistake here, piracy prevention my eye! :realmad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read here and there that Microsoft was going to remove piracy protection from this SP in order to let everybody be protected (so that viruses would be less spreadable) and that this might be why blacklisted keys work? I dunno.

Maybe the top-priority is to see that users patch up their OS and not spread viruses/worms, than to prevent piracy which is inevitable - just a matter of time before crackers get through ANY form of protection - so the retraction of the proposal to restrict access to SP2 only to licensed users.

@arablizzard2413

Too freaky

... Home Edition retail using a blacklisted volume key, and it works...

Just to be sure, you used a VLK on a Home Edition Retail CD and in actually installed? :huh:

Now that is something weird...

Yes I used a blacklisted Volume key (the one that was included in the unattended.txt file when you slipstream sp2 into Home Edition, which is a known blacklisted key) on an unmodified sp2 integrated Home Edition and not only did it install, but it never asked for activation (though the activate windows shortcut still worked) and Windows Update v5 downloaded and installed the updates (all three of the optional recommended updates). Not exactly reasurring in my opinion :} Microsoft is helping prirating by providing a working key with their software.

I thought I read somewhere that initially M$ was going to make this patch available so even those who have hacked copies of WinXP could use this patch, (I believe in another forum or on M$'s site itself during the beta,) maybe that's the reason for the key being there, plus, if you don't have a "real" key to put in, and don't look and change it, once you install it, it will report back to M$ that you are using a fake copy of XP and either shut you down, or give them a way to track the hacked copies for further prosecution? There has to be a reason M$ did this, other than the fact they wanted all copies of WinXP protected.

Just a few thoughts.

Hey guys,  integrate SP2 into a copy of your WinXP CD, and then look at the unattend.txt file in the i386 folder, see a product key at the bottom?  If so, post the first 5 digits here, I want to see if there's a bug here:

Mine starts with :

CD87T

Does yours?

If it's different, I suggest we test them on a virtual machine and post our results, see if the cd keys work

Those of you with AUTHENTIC CD KEYS, see if it's the same as the CD Key you used, I know MINE isn't :whistle:

Welcome to many moons ago.