.net (netfx) install the way mce and tabletpc do

2nd way:

1. Download the .NET Framework 1.1 Redist

2. Save it somewhere easily accessible via a command prompt, such as C:\.

3. Have a folder available where you will slipstream SP2 into a Windows CD, this folder should include folders such as docs, i386, support, valueadd, etc. I'll refer to this folder as C:\XPCD.

4. Open a command prompt and navigate to where you saved dotnetfx.exe.

5. Type dotnetfx /c at the command prompt.

6. You'll be presented with a window asking you where to save the extracted files.

7. Save these files in C:\XPCD\dotnetfx\

8. Open the C:\XPCD\dotnetfx\ folder. You'll see several files. Rename install.exe to setup.exe.

I can confirm that this works - and a small tip for ya people....

Since this is going to be only used on WinXP (from its autorun, or from its unattended setup calls), you can delete InstMsi.exe and InstMsiW.exe, and re-claim about 4 MB of space on the CD. To me, that is the main reason why I'd prefer this extracted (2nd) method, over the first method (which simply uses the downloaded file).

i install NetFramework with runonceex method, i works, at last :)

i'll try this method tomorrow, it can be useful if we can save space.

sleepnmojo (above) seems to have gotten it working. I normally install it either through cmdlines, or the autorun - so I can't comment on the certainty of the install. I suppose doing what he has described (in the first page) should get you what you want. :)

Hey there's a problem with method 2-

If you extract contents of dotnetfx.exe (.NET 1.1) into a folder called DOTNETFX, and rename install.exe to setup.exe, the option to install .NET framework from the autorun starts to work. But then, it is not able to complete the install - it asks for "insert Disk1" and you have to abort it. If you copy the same folder to a hard-disk and run .NET setup from there, it works perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

My interim solution has been to make a silent SFX-extraction archive, which will extract all files from the folder into a %temp% and then runs the install - that way it doesn't ask for "insert your Disk 1".

My interim solution has been to make a silent SFX-extraction archive, which will extract all files from the folder into a %temp% and then runs the install - that way it doesn't ask for "insert your Disk 1".

A month back, I said it. It should work fine from hard disk. B)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=155704

And you only need MSI+CAB!

Hey there's a problem with method 2-

If you extract contents of dotnetfx.exe (.NET 1.1) into a folder called DOTNETFX, and rename install.exe to setup.exe, the option to install .NET framework from the autorun starts to work. But then, it is not able to complete the install - it asks for "insert Disk1" and you have to abort it. If you copy the same folder to a hard-disk and run .NET setup from there, it works perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

You should read this thread, I discussed this on page 2, with another thread that talked about the problem.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=170243

Can anyone please send me dotnetfx folder which comes with SP2 on MSDN's ISO?

You can also get that folder by ordering the SP2 CD from microsoft - its free, and ships to your location as well. Only problem is the 4-6 weeks waiting time. Go here to order it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

Tell me how many times you've ordered it, LOL. ;)

Only problem is the 4-6 weeks waiting time.

When I ordered SP1, I received it after 4 days only. Microsoft ships CDs from the nearest location to your country, not necessarily from the US. They shipped mine from Germany.

And I've already ordered SP2. :P

netfxocm.inf (compressed)

Needs = wbem,com,TabletPC,Freestyle

[netfx_install]

to

Needs = wbem,com
OptionDesc = ".Net Framework"
SizeApproximation = 59515

Not sure about this but wouldn't this work, instead?

Needs = wbem,com,TabletPC,Freestyle,Whistler

[netfx_install]

along with replacing the v1.0 cab with v1.1 cab in the ~/cmponents/dotnet/ folder?

Or what is M$ considering XP home and Pro to be these days, if not Whistler?

Has anyone thought to do a comparison of the two .cab files to see what the differences are between them? Also, has anyone thought to do a comparison of the files in SP1a and SP2 so as to see where it may be listed in SP2 to call for the .net installation?

(Of course I realize not everyone has a copy of the MCE or Tablet edition to do a SP2 comparison between them, but there should be something in one of the .inf's somewhere that is making the call to the .net that maybe noones looking at yet.)

Not having any luck with my SP2 installations @m, I am unable to test this myself as of yet, but it would be interesting to find out if those are the only calls to the .net installer or not, and if there are any other ways to configure the installation, maybe by placing some more code into one of the .inf's to do the registry functions, is all is needed besides that one line change.

(FWIW, I'm writing this on a Mac, because the two computers I was upgrading to SP2 have a major problem with my networking card drivers, (not from the driver pack install, but from a subseqent download from WinUpd which messed them up,) and cannot currently connect. But I too am looking for a remedy to allowing for .net installation as an integral part of the unattended install, while debugging the driver issues.)

@DisabledTrucker - Not sure about the netfxocm.inf change. You should give it a try and let us know.

As for the cab files in 1.1, they are a different format than those of 1.0. They could be made similar, but that means someone would have to do it. Along with that, I'm sure the netfxocm.inf will also have to be edited, since it has all the regkeys, and locations of where the files go.

If you did a SP2 slipstream, you can find the netfx.cab file on the root of the xp cd, in cmponents/dotnet folder.

@DisabledTrucker - Not sure about the netfxocm.inf change.  You should give it a try and let us know.

I will as soon as I am able to finish rebuilding my XPSP2 DVD.

As for the cab files in 1.1, they are a different format than those of 1.0.  They could be made similar, but that means someone would have to do it.  Along with that, I'm sure the netfxocm.inf will also have to be edited, since it has all the regkeys, and locations of where the files go.
I would be willing to attempt it, but I have no idea as how to go about doing file comparisons, without having to resort to looking at each file individually and writing them down with all their differences, I heard there is a program to do this, I just dont know what it's called or how to use it. Surely once I found out what has been changed, I can compare the two and make a combined version of them with the SP to version 1.1 included, as well at the update to version 2.
If you did a SP2 slipstream, you can find the netfx.cab file on the root of the xp cd, in cmponents/dotnet folder.

I knew where to find the files, just wondered if anyone else had tried doing what I mentioned as of yet?

Edit: Think I may have found a registry key that may allow for installing the one on the disk at installation, take a look at the included Setup.reg file for more info.

SetupReg.reg

Edited by DisabledTrucker

Your setup.reg would be equivalent to putting netfx=yes in the winnt.sif file under components. Also for your other entries. When they get to the freestyle and others, it will fail because its not media ctr edition. The only other way I can see it working is if you modify the inf files. It goes through each of the infs anyway, check your log files in %SYSTEMROOT%. Thats why I went the route I went.