.net (netfx) install the way mce and tabletpc do

I think i may have asked before.. not sure.. :)

I have tried int he past to get the .net frameword to isntall using the netfx.cab that is present on xp sp2 cds in a pro (corp/retail .. whatever) or home install (not mce or tabletpc). netfxocm.in_ (netfxocm.inf) is what does it for mce and such, but it only is called on for those two variants of xp, not home or pro. This would prevent the need for a seperate redist isntall being placed on the cd.

Only alternative, tried and worked as documented by many others in this forum, delete netfx.cab and put redist installer on cd and call from one of the many unattended install methods.

Any ideas anyone?

sweet.. if you can show me how you got 1.0 working i might be able to make needed changes to 1.1  :)

netfxocm.inf has all the installation instructions for 1.0. It just needs to be updated for 1.1. I can run install watcher for it to get the files that are moved, and the registry keys, but it doesn't make it into an inf. If anyone knows of a program that can convert msi to inf, or something of that sort, then we would be gold.

I'm assuming you want to have the netfx.cab on the xp cd, rather than add the second cd. Copy netfx.cab from second cd, to i386 folder. If you don't have this cab file, there are sites which can make it for you.

DOSNET.INF

d4 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

to

d4 = \I386

sysoc.inf (compressed)

netfx=netfxocm.dll,UrtOcmProc,netfxocm.inf,hide,7

to

netfx=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,netfxocm.inf,hide,7

netfxocm.inf (compressed)

Needs = wbem,com,TabletPC,Freestyle

[netfx_install]

to

Needs = wbem,com
OptionDesc = ".Net Framework"
SizeApproximation = 59515

Some of this may not be needed, but this is how I got it working. Again this is net framework 1.0, not 1.1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone who has gotten sleepnmojo's method above working, please confirm?

@Alanoll

And what may the name of the ident for the second CD be? :)

@takuma

No, don't bother about what the 2nd CD is. Just make a new text-file in the root of your normal CD, with the name that Alanoll would (hopefully) post.

Hey, here's some info for those doubtful about why .NET doesn't install from autorun (when you click):

1. Open up the setup.exe (autorun) in the root of the CD, using Resource Hacker.

2. Browse to "String Table \\ 83 \\ 1033 \\ 1313"

3. There you see the command run when you click "Install .NET framework" in the autorun, which is:

4. "dotnetfx\\setup.exe"

5. So just keep the dot net installer and setup.exe in the location and it will work.

The question is, from where is that folder-path based off from?

Is it CD-root\dotnetfx\setup.exe

or CD-root\I386\dotnetfx\setup.exe

or CD-root\cmpnents\I386\dotnetfx\setup.exe

or CD-root\cmpnents\netfx\I386\dotnetfx\setup.exe

Hey, here's some info for those doubtful about why .NET doesn't install from autorun (when you click):

1.  Open up the setup.exe (autorun) in the root of the CD, using Resource Hacker.

2.  Browse to "String Table \\ 83 \\ 1033 \\ 1313"

3.  There you see the command run when you click "Install .NET framework" in the autorun, which is:

4.  "dotnetfx\\setup.exe"

5.  So just keep the dot net installer and setup.exe in the location and it will work.

The question is, from where is that folder-path based off from?

Is it CD-root\dotnetfx\setup.exe

or CD-root\I386\dotnetfx\setup.exe

or CD-root\cmpnents\I386\dotnetfx\setup.exe

or CD-root\cmpnents\netfx\I386\dotnetfx\setup.exe

This is what I think we all should do, i have tried it and it worked.

You have to download .NET Framework 1.1 (dotnetfx.exe, 23.1 MB) and in the WinXP SP2 CD, you have to create a folder as DOTNETFX then you have to send dotnetfx.exe to DOTNETFX folder and then finally rename dotnetfx.exe to setup.exe.

I don't know what do you mean by this: So just keep the dot net installer and setup.exe in the location and it will work.

Because .NET Framework 1.1 installer is same as setup.exe, you just rename the installer to setup.exe.

Finally i got two ways to make .NET Framework 1.1 run from autorun option.

1st way:

1. Create a folder named DOTNETFX in the root of slipstreamed CD

2. Download dotnetfx.exe from Microsoft and place this file into just created DOTNETFX directory

3. Rename dotnetfx.exe to setup.exe

2nd way:

1. Download the .NET Framework 1.1 Redist

2. Save it somewhere easily accessible via a command prompt, such as C:\.

3. Have a folder available where you will slipstream SP2 into a Windows CD, this folder should include folders such as docs, i386, support, valueadd, etc. I'll refer to this folder as C:\XPCD.

4. Open a command prompt and navigate to where you saved dotnetfx.exe.

5. Type dotnetfx /c at the command prompt.

6. You'll be presented with a window asking you where to save the extracted files.

7. Save these files in C:\XPCD\dotnetfx\

8. Open the C:\XPCD\dotnetfx\ folder. You'll see several files. Rename install.exe to setup.exe.

Both ways are working but i want to ask you guys to tell me which is the better way but don't say like 1st way because its easy. Give a better reason.

working on my Unattended XP, i made a splitstream of my XP CD today, with SP2, using nlite.

in nlite options, i remove the NetFramework and it will install itself (NetFramework 1.1) with my others softwares using RunOnceEx method.

is this method still good/working for SP2 (this is what i used for SP1a) ??

thx