.net (netfx) install the way mce and tabletpc do

You'll see several files. Rename install.exe to setup.exe.

Actually, what install.exe does is check if your system needs installing InstMsi.exe or InstMsiW.exe (both=Windows Installer), then call the MSI to install NetFramework 1.1!!

Since WinXP has Windows Installer built-in, you should delete both files: InstMsi.exe & InstMsiW.exe!

Plus, you should delete install.exe, too!

Yes, I just wanted to say that no point in extracting EXE, unless we want to save about 3.5 MB by deleting both InstMsi.

EXE calls install.exe, which in turn does what I said before. So, either we use MSI+CAB only or the original EXE.

You should still need to have the IDENT file for the second disk though.....as that's how it finds d4

Not sure about that. Mine usually asks me to just insert the second disk. Don't see any file that would be used to identify it. Only a readme.txt, then the cmpnents folder.

Both ways are working but i want to ask you guys to tell me which is the better way but don't say like 1st way because its easy. Give a better reason.

I currently use way 1. Way 2 has given me problems before, at least from cd. It will ask for the .net framework cd. Way 1 copies the files over to the hd, and does the install, which is why it works.

Read more here

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=20743

So are you all guys satisfied with 1st, i mean is it working fine for all of you?

1st way:

1. Create a folder named DOTNETFX in the root of slipstreamed CD

2. Download dotnetfx.exe from Microsoft and place this file into just created DOTNETFX directory

3. Rename dotnetfx.exe to setup.exe

2 things..

1st

MS should make the DOTNETFX folder available for download similair to support tools for the public, not just MSDN. They made it and are pushing use of it in programming so they should support it a little better.

2nd

Why havent they updated netfx.cab that Tablet PC and MCE use to 1.1 yet?

So are you all guys satisfied with 1st, i mean is it working fine for all of you?

1st way:

1. Create a folder named DOTNETFX in the root of slipstreamed CD

2. Download dotnetfx.exe from Microsoft and place this file into just created DOTNETFX directory

3. Rename dotnetfx.exe to setup.exe

It works fine, but that wasn't really the purpose of this thread. It was how to install using the netfx.cab.

I only use this way because I prefer the 1.1 over the 1.0

2 things..

1st

MS should make the DOTNETFX folder available for download similair to support tools for the public, not just MSDN. They made it and are pushing use of it in programming so they should support it a little better.

2nd

1) the dotnetfx folder only contains 1.0, not 1.1. They do offer a redistributable, which is fine to download. Dot net isn't at the point where its needed on the cd. When longhorn comes, it will be, since everything is based on it. The version in Longhorn is meant to be the real offical version. The ones out now are more trial to fix most of the problems.

2) When switching from 1.1 to 1.0 some programs may break. It is rare, but is know to happen. This may be the case here. I really haven't checked, but that may be why.

2 things..

1st

2nd

1) the dotnetfx folder only contains 1.0, not 1.1. They do offer a redistributable, which is fine to download. Dot net isn't at the point where its needed on the cd. When longhorn comes, it will be, since everything is based on it. The version in Longhorn is meant to be the real offical version. The ones out now are more trial to fix most of the problems.

2) When switching from 1.1 to 1.0 some programs may break. It is rare, but is know to happen. This may be the case here. I really haven't checked, but that may be why.

1st

Yes it is available for download.. it is quite commonly used in many of the non MS programs I use.

2nd

If you get the msdn cd of sp2 update the new dotnetfx folder contains version 1.1, not 1.0.

Finally..

.net runtimes are nothing more then what the vb runtimes of the past to me. Something countless programs needed but were always one more download to get the latest verison of it. They should have just called it VB7 runtime library... :lol:

My point is.. maybe windows xp itself doesnt need it to be installed for normal use, but it is commonly required for many modern apps that I, for one, instlall and use within windows xp. At 250+ mb they should have gone the rest of the way and integrated the deistributeable into the download.

i reduced my Unattended XP using the Gosh reduction method..

Link to Gosh topic

His work is very good and his reduction method has helped me to have a ~350Mb XP CD (with SP2).

Gosh :thumbup

but now i can't install dotnetfx 1.1 !

i don't know i i can integrate dotnetfx in my unattended XP CD.

i tested the 1st method described in this topic, it didn't worked.

now i'm ready to test the 2nd method, but i'm affraid that the result will be the same :}

if someone use the Gosh method to reduce the size of his unattended XP CD and knows how i can install DOTNet Framework 1.1 during XP installation, thx a LOT !

:}

if not, thx for any help :rolleyes:

i need framework but now i completely blocked.

Apply any of the 2 methods above, THEN reduce source using gosh method.

Remember that reducing source is the last step to be done before finalising your CD - you can't add/remove anything easily after that.

thank you

i'm installing my SP2 unattended CD just now to test again.

i removed components using nlite, and i haven't reduced size of source for the moment.

last time i test, XP installation stop at 37 minutes with no message, i think i removed one component that wouldn't supposed to be deleted :}

strange because i re-install the same ISO and it passed the 37 minutes.

anyway.....i think it will be good now :yes:

2nd way:

1. Download the .NET Framework 1.1 Redist

2. Save it somewhere easily accessible via a command prompt, such as C:\.

3. Have a folder available where you will slipstream SP2 into a Windows CD, this folder should include folders such as docs, i386, support, valueadd, etc. I'll refer to this folder as C:\XPCD.

4. Open a command prompt and navigate to where you saved dotnetfx.exe.

5. Type dotnetfx /c at the command prompt.

6. You'll be presented with a window asking you where to save the extracted files.

7. Save these files in C:\XPCD\dotnetfx\

8. Open the C:\XPCD\dotnetfx\ folder. You'll see several files. Rename install.exe to setup.exe.

I can confirm that this works - and a small tip for ya people....

Since this is going to be only used on WinXP (from its autorun, or from its unattended setup calls), you can delete InstMsi.exe and InstMsiW.exe, and re-claim about 4 MB of space on the CD. To me, that is the main reason why I'd prefer this extracted (2nd) method, over the first method (which simply uses the downloaded file).