.net (netfx) install the way mce and tabletpc do

Just an annoyance that I noticed today....

The DOTNETFX folder on the SP2 CD that gets freely shipped to you, is sick. Its unnecessarily bloated! It has the initial contents of the cab files, and then some DLLs (MSVCP7.dll and so on) and the updates to the .NET in install in there! And I haven't checked yet if it is 1.1 or 1.1+SP1 - so that's another....

It just seems of no point to use the folder provided on that CD. And they had a good chance to offer a merged version! We might as well do our slip-streaming and SFXing!

BTW, I got the SP2 CDs ordered for.

31 of 'em, for myself, friends, and clients. Black and white print, and delivered in a cover, via courier. So that confirms that they do process any number of orders, no matter if the same address! :thumbup

evilvoice, you didn't need to res-hack the setup.exe!

I just renamed RyanVM's .NET installer to "setup.exe" and placed it in "CD-root\DOTNETFX\".

Oh well, its your choice to do what you want, but I just thought mentioning the above could be useful.

PS, if you rename his dotnet pack to one name, make sure you rename the one in your svcpack directory, or they will be written 2x and cdimage will not use symbolic links for the file (hence why I res-hacked setup.exe, so instead of it taking up 2x the space on my cd, it only uses the space once).

The DOTNETFX folder on the SP2 CD that gets freely shipped to you, is sick. Its unnecessarily bloated! It has the initial contents of the cab files, and then some DLLs (MSVCP7.dll and so on) and the updates to the .NET in install in there! And I haven't checked yet if it is 1.1 or 1.1+SP1 - so that's another....

SP2 CD isn't useless! You need to do the following, if you want to prepare a copy of .NET Framework 1.1 that has SP1 slipstreamed.

1- In your (shipped) SP2 CD, and in this directory: X:\DOTNETFX\, you'll find two files: DOTNETFX.EXE and NDPSP.EXE!

2- Run DOTNETFX.EXE from the CD, then go to your %TEMP% folder. From the folder "IXP000.TMP", copy netfx.msi and netfx1.cab to a safe place on your HD.

Now, follow setup screens to install .NET Framework 1.1! Restart your PC if prompted. I don't remember if a restart is required, really.

3- Run NDPSP.EXE from the CD, then go to your %TEMP% folder. Wait few seconds till you find an MSP file created there. It's 18.3 MB in size. This file is the patch needed to update .NET Framework 1.1 with SP1.

Copy it to the same place where you keep MSI and CAB.

Cancel the setup process at this point, or complete it if you want to update the version installed in step 2.

Please be informed that you MUST complete the installation process mentioned in step 2. Otherwise, you can't get the MSP file.

4- Now, create Administrative Installation Point using MSI+CAB.

This is the switch you need to create AIP: netfx.msi /A

Provide a path for AIP when prompted. I assume your path is C:\NET11SP1

5- Put MSP file in C:\NET11SP1\NDPSP.MSP, I assume you name it so.

This is the switch you need to patch AIP: msiexec /p C:\NET11SP1\NDPSP.MSP /a C:\NET11SP1\netfx.msi

After the patch operation completes, delete NDPSP.MSP from C:\NET11SP1\ as it's no longer needed.

By now, you should have three objects in C:\NET11SP1\, and they are:

- Program Files (folder)

- Win (folder)

- netfx.msi (file)

They total 56.1 MB in size. You can compress them using WinRAR or whatever with the following comments:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=netfx.msi /qb
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

And I haven't checked yet if it is 1.1 or 1.1+SP1

Due to that sentence, I understood that you didn't know it. That's it.

Ah, and in the post you linked above, you talked about downloading SP1, not that one on the CD.

CHEERS!

::Putting self in newby mode to ask questions::

Ok, now let me get this straight, I extract both of the DOTNETFX.EXE and the NDPSP.EXE from the SP-2 CD to somewhere, (using the /c switch?) and get the three files from them, netfx.msi and netfx1.cab and MSP, move them to a seperate folder, deleting the rest. Then I create a what? (AIP?) from the .msi and .cab? And how do I go about using the MSP to patch it? I also take it once I have done all this creating and patching I just put my empty DOTNETFX folder on my UXPCD and put this newly created file in it, wont I need any of the other files from the CD version of that folder in there as well? Also, how am I making sure it's being installed, do I have to call it from somewhere, such as cmdlines.txt or WinNT.sif? What would those calls be?

::taking self out of newby mode to understand answers::

ok, thanks to both of you.

I don't recall if I had read the other thread or not, but now I am cleared up on what to do, thanks to both of you.

I do have one last clarification question, when naming the file so it installs silently, I would use setup.exe for the name of the file and stick it into a folder on my UXPCD called DOTNETFX, (assuming it's not already there from slipstream onto an SP-1 version of XP, I would create this folder in the root of the UXPCD,) making sure it's the only file in that folder, correct? This will force Windows XP SP-2 to actually install the file during install or will I need to place it in my $OEM$\$1\Install folder and call it from say RunOnceEx.cmd?

That's the biggest problem I am having now, is where to put this file and how to install it silently while running my UXPCD. Yes, I read what prathapml said about calling for it in the install, but someone else mentioned something about just putting it in the DOTNETFX folder as well, I want to do this as simply as possible.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

I would use setup.exe for the name of the file and stick it into a folder on my UXPCD called DOTNETFX in the root of the UXPCD

Yes. That's one good thing. But that isn't going to force anything.

You see the updated Autorun in the CD once you slip-stream? (Perform Additional Tasks >> Install .NET Framework)

That option which was not doing anything even if you click it becomes activated, that's all.

Otherwise, to install it automatically during unattended, you need to do the normal things (using switches, calling the setup from a batch-file or something, etc.). Sad but yeah, its not as easy as we'd like it to be - but its quite simple.

1. Slip-stream SP1 onto .NET 1.1.

2. Put this folder on your CD.

3. Call it according to your path-on-CD with "/QB" switch to silently install.

4. Enjoy!