Making your own Rounded Cables...

ThA_FiLeR

Well, I was thinking of buying some rounded cables for my SCSI devices because those are the worst cables tat block the most air flow. Since the SCSI rounded cables were way to expensive for me I built some of my own, It's really not that complicated.

Well ok, they dont look as good but if you dont have a window in your case (like me) I'd concider doing this it's only gonna cost you about 2-3 bucks and they are just as effective as the ones you buy. Tommorow I'm gonna do the rest of my cables.

Nice Job Filer! Great way too save on rounded cables, I too feel they are too expensive for me, well, I'll have to try that on my computer. Wish I had some longer cables, but eh, what can ya do. :)

I see you have a RAID board in there. Where did you get the extra long 80 wire cables? I have a FastTRAK and it came with 18 inch cable and they just barely fit my mid tower case. When I get a full tower they are not going to be long enough........

You have a server case, lolol.

what is wrong with owning a server case?

i have a server case aswell by cheiftec because i prefer having a large case with lots of room for expansion and also lots of room for case fans :) ,i wouldnt want some mid tower peice of crap that traps hot air and acts like an oven :rolleyes:

You have a server case, lolol.

what is wrong with owning a server case?

i have a server case aswell by cheiftec because i prefer having a large case with lots of room for expansion and also lots of room for case fans :) ,i wouldnt want some mid tower peice of crap that traps hot air and acts like an oven :rolleyes:

Amen to that

lol, never knew i had a server case, I have this since 1996 before this mobo I had a P2 450mhz in it. I still love the size of this case. I still use the cables from the mobo that was in here before, the 80pin cables came with my SCSI devices. And the cables that came with my mobo are still in the box and they are the exact same size. And also, I suggest that you dont try to do this with the 80pin white SCSI cables, theres barely any space between the wires, thats why i re-routed that cable instead of making it rounded.

Filled up with:

50X Creative CD-ROM

32X UltraPlex SCSI CD-ROM

4X PlexWriter CD-R

8.5GIG SCSI HardDrive

40GIG Western Digital

15GIG Western Digital

Chaintech 7AJA2

1.3GHZ T-bird

Standard HS with high RPM fan

having a server case owns !!!

as for the cables, wrapping some spiral wrap round them will finish them off nice filer.

you can put some around the one you didnt do too, no need to cut it :)

Just got done finishing all of them, the most hard one was the ATA 133 cable because there's barley any space between the wires like on the SCSI HD cables. I'm probably gonna buy one for my SCSI HD because its not really possible to do those w/o damaging alteast 1 wire.

• 1 month later...
Just got done finishing all of them, the most hard one was the ATA 133 cable because there's barley any space between the wires like on the SCSI HD cables.

A couple of tips :

1) Instead of using those cable ties, use insulation tape-- but put the tape at equal intervals down the cable, the interval is best if it's the width of the tape itself. This creates the effect of stripy cables, and is a good alternative to spiral wrap if you can't get hold of it or don't want to use it. If you use blue, red or green tape it looks a lot more professional and people will look in your window and see a pretty sight :)

2) A good way to guarantee you won't wreck your SCSI cable, is to use a thin knife, like the Stanley scalpel kind and do this: Get a magazine or neswpaper, and put the cable on it. Dig the knife into the gap between the cables you want to cut, and into the magazine or newspaper below so it's dug in quite deep-- Then all you need to do is make the cut by pulling the cable along the knife instead of moving the knife itself. This was how I did mine and it resulted in perfect cuts without getting even close to baring wire, and you can guide the cut so much easier, it's pretty much flawless.

Also, make sure you make only a small cut (about 1") and then rip the cable from there-- Don't open the cable up sideways, but instead grab one side and pull it towards you and push the other side away, ripping the cable from top to bottom instead of left to right-- There's no way you'll wreck the cable if you follow these tips :rolleyes:

Hope this helps someone :D

TDS