My favorite browser is...

xper

Yeah, you might check out iRider. It's an IE shell (unfortunately) but I think the enhancements are worth it........

If you liked that, check out MyIE2 - it's free, and has all thos features and more!.

I see too many posts biased towards firefox here - it's not really all that great. Opera will kick-the-pants off firefox/IE any day. What I mean is, supporting it is fine - but bad-mouthing the others is nothing but "Microsoft style" - which we all hate. There's various competitiors in the browser market, and it does one a lot of good to take an open-minded look at all (yes, even the IE-shells).

Am I an opposer of firefox? Look below ####

--------------------

hey all those who want firefox to become a "me too" of IE (in terms of cluttering up the "Options" dialog box) must do this:

1. start firefox v0.7 or higher

2. go to the address-bar

3. type

about:config

4. Get psyched........

Many of your supposedly "compatibility with some sites" issues will disappear once you take the time to fine-tune Mozilla (firefox) in the above way.

Speed it up as well. Reduce the memory usage too!

All you losers with your IE shells, STAY AWAY from IE, dont goto opera, its worse than IE, goto firefox the best browser.

Agret: calling people losers is definitely a top-notch way to convince them you're right. Really makes you look smart, too.

Where's a proper rolleyes icon when you need it?

Seriously, Agret: criticize software all you want. Don't insult people.

Why do you assume that I don't know about Firefox? I do use Firefox when I want to do some quick surfing. It's a very nice program. It is not, however, a replacement for iRider. You missed the point of my post. iRider has organizational features that Firefox does not have. If Firefox would use a tabbing mechanism similar to iRider's, I'd switch to Ffx in a minute. But it doesn't, so I'm sticking with iRider as my main browser.

Prathapml:

If you liked that, check out MyIE2 - it's free, and has all thos features and more!.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I've already tried it. MyIE2 uses more or less the same tab style as everybody else. iRider's tabs are different. They are listed in a tree hierarchy on the left. It takes some getting used to, but it is extremely useful for long surfing sessions.

You guys really ought to take a look at the iRider demo -- at least a couple of screenshots -- before assuming you understand how iRider compares to other browsers. It really is different. The only other similar browser I've come across is Sleipnir. Freeware, but in Japanese and I don't read Japanese. :) There is an English Yahoo group for anyone who's interested.

And no, I do not have any connection with iRider. I'm just a satisfied user.

Go Mozilla. Firefox all the way. I don't even use IE anymore after finding out about tabbed browsing. Opera has that annoying ad on top, and it's a bit weird. Mozilla is good for Linux Users. IE is not W3C-compliant, so it's not that good.

However, I think that of all browsers. Safari is the best. It has an oh-so-pretty GUI, is as secure as Firefox, and has tabbed browsing. Apple should port Safari to PC, but, of course, that's never going to happen. Apple wants people to buy Apples.

I bet the next version of IE will have tabbed browsing, since all these other browsers have tabbed browsing.

• 2 weeks later...

Now what was that browser name ??/ Hmmm ?? which on do I like ??? It sounds a little like godzilla, but I can't quite remember what it is :D:):rolleyes: ... well I just think it's very good, espacially ver 1.7 (I'm a proud sposor and owner of the payed version. - if you like it - SUPPORT IT.

All you're issues about tabed browsing etc, all solved, the only thing is activeX, but I can live without it. Haven't tried out the new "FireDog" version, but I like to wait a while before implementing any newbees on my system, let others find the major bugs.

Another thing is, that thank to this browser I have all my popup problems solved, and I don't need a popup killer sitting in my taskbar, so the issue of using a little more memory than others is also not a problem.

Nowadays, IE6/IE-shells are simply too vulnerable and bullet-ridden with security holes. That's because of the deep integration between the OS and the browser. Here's a proof of one such lame exploit:

1. Go to google or any other site, or open a HTML page in IE.

2. Right-click anywhere in the white space and select the option "View Source".

3. The code will be shown/opened in notepad - so far, so good.

4. Now make a folder called "NOTEPAD" on the desktop.

5. Repeat step 1 & 2.

6. You will see that the notepad folder (instead of notepad-the-accessory) opens.

7. Hereafter, it's your guess as to how this bug can be manipulated maliciously (embed an active-X control as folder icon in desktop.ini or autorun a JPG file with system commands, etc.).

It is tested to work on IE5/IE6 and on all versions of MS-supported windows versions (Win98/98se/ME/2k/XP/2k3).

But I seem to be here preaching to the already converted - last I saw, IE/IE-based browsers had a very low share of votes. The majority of the 'post'ers here have reported using alternative browsers.

prathapml, that's really quite spooky and kinda scary. Although, as you say, unsure as to how that could be utilised at the moment.

For all it's major flaws, I still use IE6 as my main browser, mostly because of Windows Update to be honest. I am a little paranoid about how secure IE is though.

I have played about with Firefox a lot recently and quite like it, very simple to use, which is something that makes me a little nervous, as it sometimes appears to be 'too friendly'.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid again :)

Smudge

Nowadays, IE6/IE-shells are simply too vulnerable and bullet-ridden with security holes. That's because of the deep integration between the OS and the browser. Here's a proof of one such lame exploit:

1.  Go to google or any other site, or open a HTML page in IE.

2.  Right-click anywhere in the white space and select the option "View Source".

3.  The code will be shown/opened in notepad - so far, so good.

4.  Now make a folder called "NOTEPAD" on the desktop.

5.  Repeat step 1 & 2.

6.  You will see that the notepad folder (instead of accessory) opens.

7.  Hereafter, it's your guess as to how this bug can be manipulated maliciously (embed an active-X control as folder icon in desktop.ini or autorun a JPG file with system commands, etc.).

It is tested to work on IE5/IE6 and on all versions of supported windows (Win98/98se/ME/2k/XP/2k3).

Errr, I done what you said. When I repeated steps 1 & 2 after creating the folder, the source page opened up in notepad as it should. :)

That could be because you did it in a non-IE browser :rolleyes: . Carry out those steps exactly, and you will get your "View Source" option to be useless (until you delete the NOTEPAD folder from desktop).

While, as of now there's no known exploit of this bug, in the future there could be. Possibly, with a malicious Jscript file being linked as the folder's icon or some such :)

That could be because you did it in a non-IE browser  :D . Carry out those steps exactly, and you will get your "View Source" option to be useless (until you delete the NOTEPAD folder from desktop).

:)

I did try it in IE. I can tell which browser I'm using you doughnut!

:rolleyes: