11 hours ago, IDA-RE-things said:

Is shuch HW acceleration works on you Gfx card w/o such side effects, with any of old versions of Chrome, which was officially supported by XP ? (I dont remember version), say some versions released beetween 2008-2013 years. It's need to check the code of libLGESv2, how it handlend on such old Gfx card while translating OpenGL calls to D3D9 calls.

Thanks for replying! The last official Chrome which supported Windows XP was the version 49.0.2623.112. I think I have a copy of it in my archive. In any case, I will check if the hardware acceleration worked at all in this version on my hardware and report here.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

"Chrome developers disabled Canvas HW Accel for XP (the artcile is about 12 years old!), it calls Direct3DCreate9Ex from d3d9.dll which is DirectX 9L available only on Vista+, but it is possible to wrap D3D9Ex on Windows XP via WineD3D Direct3D to OpenGL wrapper. (special thanks to WineHQ/Crossover) Then we need to disable blacklist and disable sandbox in launch options."

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15073593/does-chrome-support-gpu-hardware-acceleration-for-the-2d-canvas-under-windows-xp

Implying WineD3D actually works, much less works well (tried the suggested hack years ago, didn't get anywhere). Bogging down Pentium 4 with translating D3D to OpenGL, it's a great idea!:buehehe:

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Implying WineD3D actually works, much less works well (tried the suggested hack years ago, didn't get anywhere). Bogging down Pentium 4 with translating D3D to OpenGL, it's a great idea!:buehehe:

Yeah, but it's not my idea, I actually wanted to further elaborate on what you wrote about Chrome 49! With a simple calculation, if they already knew it was blocked on XP almost 12 years ago, it brings us back to 2012 - early 2013. What was the Chrome version, then? 21? 20? 19? 18? So, it was blocked centuries ago! Overall, I agree with you, not a good idea at all.

OK, it worked for that guy somehow, so should have worded a bit differently. I think I just got a black window back then.

Still, better try this: https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?prefix=Win/291943/

Just remember to disable GPU blocklist on chrome://flags page.

Though TBH I'm not sure if canvas accel works specifically, hard to test in reality such an outdated browser, but period correct WebGL stuff seems to work. None of that slow 100% CPU sucking SwiftShader nonsense.

The hint comes from https://superuser.com/questions/958238/how-to-enable-webgl-on-chrome-on-xp.

I like the last comment from the guy who asked: Interesting, but I have updated to Win10, so I can't test. I think Chrome no longer supports XP anyways.

Edited by UCyborg
Additional detail

On 6/6/2024 at 5:43 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Thorium SSE2 122.0.6261.168 WINXP x32, which is actually the version 122.0.6261.169, stores extension settings in the registry. That you cannot replicate it is unfortunately not my problem. smilie_denk_24.gif And I don't believe that this version does it only for me. :buehehe: Or do you think I created all these entries by myself just to confuse you? :roll1:
Here is a screenshot:

Thorium-Registry-keys.png

I thought it was before the flags got applied, because those surely look like the telemetry (stats) is in full swing.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I will check my registry entries when I am back at my desktop computer. Thanks for the heads up! :)

You're welcome!

On the other hand, Thorium may not understand the standard Chromium flags.

Usage Stats is what of the most interest. It needs to have a value of zero.

15 hours ago, Dixel said:

You're welcome!

On the other hand, Thorium may not understand the standard Chromium flags.

Usage Stats is what of the most interest. It needs to have a value of zero.

usagestats is not a flag but a REG_DWORD registry value as far as I can see. It was set to the value of zero on my machine. :cool:

Thorium-Registry-keys-metrics.png

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 6/15/2024 at 12:23 PM, AstroSkipper said:
On 6/15/2024 at 10:51 AM, IDA-RE-things said:

Is shuch HW acceleration works on you Gfx card w/o such side effects, with any of old versions of Chrome, which was officially supported by XP ? (I dont remember version), say some versions released beetween 2008-2013 years. It's need to check the code of libLGESv2, how it handlend on such old Gfx card while translating OpenGL calls to D3D9 calls.

Thanks for replying! The last official Chrome which supported Windows XP was the version 49.0.2623.112. I think I have a copy of it in my archive. In any case, I will check if the hardware acceleration worked at all in this version on my hardware and report here.

I tested Chrome 49.0.2623.112 regarding hardware acceleration. It doesn't offer hardware accelerated 2d-Canvas. All other hardware accelerated features could be switched on. But testing those ancient Chrome versions is not easy as they are much too old to access modern websites. Without ProxHTTPSProxy, no chance anyways. However, this version has a lot of problems due to its old Javascript engine. In any case, I hope there is a chance to improve hardware acceleration in Thorium in such a way that both, 2d-Canvas and rasterization, can be done by GPU on old systems as mine to take more load off the CPU as it is the case, for example, in Mypal 68:unsure: @IDA-RE-things I can also provide a log of GPU errors if it is helpful in identifying and possibly fixing issues. :dubbio: However, one thing is clear. Thorium is almost unusable without the Chrome XP API Adapter on old computers like mine, even if the hardware acceleration only works partially.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@AstroSkipper, I'm was tryed MyPal68 for the first time today. Are you know (and point me) the simple/fastest way to force it to play youtube videos using H.264 format (and DXVA 1.0 if it can) on XP ?
Now it seems its playing it using vp09 format. (from stats for nerds). I'm want to use it with intermediate Radeon HD card, which can HW video decoding with MPC-HC at least, and see how fine MyPal68 will work.

Edited by IDA-RE-things