All System Files Reporting As Being Unsigned [SOLVED]

Dave-H

The files in the driver dir that are oem*.* (inf and cat) are actually generated by Windows when a driver is installed. It copies the inf and cat from the install source and renames them and puts them in there. As such the numbers are not going to match up between systems.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I tried a repair using -

People reported success by re-registering these dlls:

softpub.dll, wintrust.dll, initpki.dll, dssenh.dll, rsaenh.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll, mssip32.dll, cryptdlg.dll

And reboot, of course, to apply changes.

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

The files in the driver dir that are oem*.* (inf and cat) are actually generated by Windows when a driver is installed. It copies the inf and cat from the install source and renames them and puts them in there. As such the numbers are not going to match up between systems.

Driver Store or DRVStore, of course! What about the ones in Catroot folder? I spent a very limited time with XP, on Vista they look the same as on the media, dated 2006 and the such.

For example, "windows-legacy-whql.cat" modification date - Sep. 2006.

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

People reported success by re-registering these dlls:

softpub.dll, wintrust.dll, initpki.dll, dssenh.dll, rsaenh.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll, mssip32.dll, cryptdlg.dll

And reboot, of course, to apply changes.

Amazingly, I had already found exactly the same reference!

It worked!

:thumbup:cheerleader::thumbup

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

You're welcome! Glad to be of help! 

Thanks, although being pedantic, I had actually already found that information myself!
:D
If I hadn't, I would have been extremely grateful to you, I can assure you!

No more annoying pop-ups about unsigned drivers now!
:yes:

• Dave-H changed the title to All System Files Reporting As Being Unsigned [SOLVED]

Re-registering of dll files is a very safe and in a lot of cases successful method in Windows XP to fix errors of whatever kind. :) I use different tools for that. One is the Nirsoft tool RegDllView for doing that in a more convenient way: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/registered_dll_view.html 
It offers additional, useful features. All is descibed on its homepage. Another nice, small tool to register or unregister dll files or ActiveX controls is Register Toolhttps://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Register-Tool.shtml

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Thanks, where would we be without NirSoft!
:worship:

This does beg the question though, how do files get unregistered in the first place?!
:dubbio:

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

This does beg the question though, how do files get unregistered in the first place?!

Registry corruption, like I suspected, did you use un-installers, maybe? 

34 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, where would we be without NirSoft!
:worship:

I assume that some parts of the registry have been damaged, or simply some entries have been deleted by whatever. And TBH, I appreciate tools from Nirsoft. Many of them are inside my repair and first aid folder for troubleshooting and fixing. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

22 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Registry corruption, like I suspected, did you use un-installers, maybe? 

19 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I assume that some parts of the registry have been damaged, or simply some entries have been deleted by whatever. And TBH, I appreciate tools from Nirsoft. Many of them are inside my repair and first aid folder for troubleshooting and fixing. :P

That's quite a bit of registry corruption, assuming all those ten system files had indeed become unregistered.
I never use uninstallers, I don't trust them not to damage the system.
If a program won't uninstall using its normal uninstallation mechanism, I uninstall it by hand, manually removing its files and registry entries, VERY carefully!
Whatever caused the files to become unregistered, it presumably happened on my other machine too, which makes it even more of a mystery.

42 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's quite a bit of registry corruption, assuming all those ten system files had indeed become unregistered.
I never use uninstallers, I don't trust them not to damage the system.
If a program won't uninstall using its normal uninstallation mechanism, I uninstall it by hand, manually removing its files and registry entries, VERY carefully!
Whatever caused the files to become unregistered, it presumably happened on my other machine too, which makes it even more of a mystery.

If different machines show the same error, then a programme is most probably the causer which is used on both computers. Just an assumption which has to be proved, of course. :yes: 
Focus on things that you have done the same way on both machines! uniforme4.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction