Posting test: string boot .ini causes HTTP 403 forbidden error

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Sure, .ini is one of the known excutable extensions by default, together with .txt and .csv.

Come on ....

jaclaz

I'm sorry, I'm confused, let's say someone copies this fake boot with italics, and it will work? I mean, will it be recognised as an extension? Please explain.

What jumper posted is actually something like (without the spaces) this:

b o o t [ i ] . [ / i ] i n i

the part inside the square brackets is what tells the board software that the dot between the two sets of square brackets is to be rendered as italic.

Just like you do not see the square brackets, when you copy and paste you do not have them.

In any case that is just a string and you cannot execute a string, the file with that name is a plain text configuration file and anyway it is never executed, the lines inside that file are parsed and then IF valid, used as parameters for the use of NTLDR (and the parser is quite strict).

A file name is NEVER executed, and even IF it was a file, a .ini file is NOT executed.

In DOS/WINDOWS the extension (what is after the dot in file names) is a way to identify a file type and take actions depending on it.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

16 hours ago, jaclaz said:

What jumper posted is actually something like (without the spaces) this:

b o o t [ i ] . [ / i ] i n i

Will it work like in this case, then? That is what I meant. Will the italics written dot be accepted? Will such script be executed without troubles?

On the other hand, I know, the formatting will be lost, but what if someone doesn't use the simple Windows notepad?

https://superuser.com/questions/180475/add-option-to-boot-ini-with-batch

There is no script?

If a formatting attribute is *somehow* kept, and the hypothetical script is a batch script, the CMD interpreter will remove the attribute.

Create a (say) new MS Word document, copy and paste in it:

ECHO boot.ini

here the BOOT is italics bold, the dot is red, the INI is underlined red.

When you paste it in a "rich" text editor these characteristics will be kept.

Now open a command prompt and paste again in it, and press ENTER.

The CMD strips the attributes (actually it is the clipboard that pastes only the text, I believe)

The script, on the other hand needs to be a plain text file, with extension either .BAT (wrong) or .CMD (right) other formats (i.e. those that can keep the formatting)   won't be parsed correctly an throw an error

jaclaz

On 2/4/2024 at 7:28 PM, XPerceniol said:

in the 80's when I was a teen growing up

I think we have found a possible cause of our mutual problems. :buehehe:

On 2/4/2024 at 7:28 PM, XPerceniol said:

Please, just don't tell me Disco is out of style

I still have my Bee Gees LP's. Now we are really getting to the root of our issues! :roll1:

• Tripredacus changed the title to Posting test: string boot .ini causes HTTP 403 forbidden error

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource. "

The worst of all, is that after writing a long message with the phrase "Boot .ini" there is no possibility of recovering the message, everything written is erased forever .

The problem also happens if I edit a post and in the edition I add or modify an URL link.

So I can erase a post by editing it to include boot . Ini?

Edit to follow....

So editing does not affect the original post. Only the changes are lost as the Submit button gets stuck on Saving...

Edited by jumper

2 hours ago, Cixert said:

The worst of all, is that after writing a long message with the phrase "Boot .ini" there is no possibility of recovering the message, everything written is erased forever

Actually when I reload the page and click in the reply box, my previous text is restored.