ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.1030 Redux

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You're not wanting to use Tampermonkey and polyfilling via Tampermonkey.  Kind of not "our fault" when we give a method that WORKS but you don't want to use that method.

How exactly do I have to do it so that it works with Tampermonkey?
Where do I have to put what?

I probably also need the "structuredClone". Where can I find it?

Edited by Anbima

I now have both polyfills in tampermonkey, but it doesn't work.
The console shows the following errors:

Beim Laden der PDF-Datei trat ein Fehler auf.
PDF.js v3.0.279 (build: d0823066c)
_otherError @ app.js:1099
_documentError @ app.js:1066
(anonymous) @ app.js:976
Promise.then (async)
(anonymous) @ app.js:975
Promise.then (async)
open @ app.js:958
webViewerInitialized @ app.js:2264
Promise.then (async)
run @ app.js:671
webViewerLoad @ viewer.js:246
viewer.html:1 Uncaught (in promise) UnknownErrorException {message: "Cannot read property 'length' of undefined", name: "UnknownErrorException", details: "TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined"}

I'm kind of astonished by the design of this Web site. Am I correct in concluding that, rather than using the .pdf viewer built into every major Web browser, they coded their own?

In Javascript? Why would anyone do this?

It can't have been done to support very old browsers that might lack a built-in .pdf viewer, because the Javascript relies on new constructs that require polyfills even on Chrome 86. Older browsers don't stand a chance.

P.S.: Per Google Translate, that line in German above translates to "An error occurred when loading the PDF file." So I'd guess that this Javascript PDF viewer was written by a German. (I realize that doesn't tell us much.)

P.P.S.: Maybe the German thing is a red herring. I just tried to open the .pdf in Acrobat 9 and was told that I need a newer Acrobat version! So perhaps, to answer my original question, the .pdf is a very new format, and the Javascript .pdf viewer actually does allow (slightly) older browsers to view the .pdf. Like Chrome 98 or so.

Except - that doesn't make sense; @VistaLover was able to view it with the .pdf viewer built into Kafan MiniBrowser (Chromium 87). So I guess I still don't understand the purpose of this thing.

Edited by Mathwiz

That structuredclone polyfill is very limited and was only discussed as a fix for Chase.

That is not the structuredclone polyfill that I used and even screencap'd as WORKING for the pdf viewer.

Use this one instead:

<test - issues with posting at MSFN>

7 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Thanks for tracking it down!  Yep, that's the one that I use (deactivated by default, I only activate polyfills on a when-needed basis).

14 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That structuredclone polyfill is very limited and was only discussed as a fix for Chase.

That is not the structuredclone polyfill that I used and even screencap'd as WORKING for the pdf viewer.

7 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The structuredclone that WORKS is 251 lines long!

The structuredclone that does NOT work is only 36 lines long!

image.thumb.png.06fea5437ae99be40361a2585195e916.png

image.thumb.png.c93387619114201f6c5ce01666dbaaa3.png

Oh, my bad and my sincerest apologies, I just incorrectly assumed you used that 36 lines long polyfill and added [major] to its name. Sorry, didn't mean to do that.

Edited by mina7601

No worries here.

I have the 36-line version saved also (I have it labeled as [minor]).

I've never actually needed it but it *IS* a "confirmed fix" for a CHASE web site so I keep it just-in-case.

I don't have a CHASE account to know if the [major] version does or does not work on CHASE.

If it DOES, then I would throw away the [minor] and just resort to the [major].

But if the [minor] does have SOME web sites that it does work on, then until I can prove that it works where the [major] does not, then I keep both for just-in-case.

39 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

MSFN is not letting me post the WORKING structuredclone polyfill.

Moving on, got more important things to attend to at the moment then to figure out why MSFN isn't letting me post the WORKING polyfill.

Off-topic:

If you were trying to post it as an embedded link, then this is why, embedded links are broken. It gives an error 403. @roytam1 reported it:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185994-cant-edit-my-first-post-in-thread/

I tried to simply copy-and-paste directly from my [major] Tampermonkey userscript.

No clue why MSFN would not allow it (because I've done it before!).

All I can figure is MSFN is still bending over backwards to prevent SPAM ATTACKS - which is great and well-needed.

But at what cost?  I mean, the only way NEW MEMBERS can join MSFN is if they somehow manage to "coordinate" their new membership via THIRD-PARTY forums.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I'm kind of astonished by the design of this Web site.
Am I correct in concluding that, rather than using the .pdf viewer built into every major Web browser,
they coded their own? In Javascript? Why would anyone do this?

It can't have been done to support very old browsers that might lack a built-in .pdf viewer, because the Javascript relies on new constructs that require polyfills even on Chrome 86. Older browsers don't stand a chance.

... Indeed (and pardon the slight OT :P), the "online-PDF-viewer" URI: 

https://storage.enganchesaragon.com/public-websites/ecommerce/pdf_viewer/web/viewer.html?file=https://storage.enganchesaragon.com/public-websites/ecommerce/Inst/C0801E.pdf

does load in last week's Serpent 52, but the pages are rendered blank there :( :

7K7oixy.png

If one downloads directly the PDF file via:

https://storage.enganchesaragon.com/public-websites/ecommerce/Inst/C0801E.pdf

(it's 10.4 MiB in size) and then tries to view it in St52, all's fine :thumbup :

utVAZV4.png

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I just tried to open the .pdf in Acrobat 9 and was told that I need a newer Acrobat version!

Yes, the PDF file specs have evolved over time and full backwards-compatibility isn't guaranteed :( ; the file in question is of version 1.7 and I had better luck than you :whistle: in that it opened in my Adobe Reader X (aka 10) copy:

av0BfCH.png

Though, do note that it is stated in the above screenshot that PDF v1.7 should be compatible with Adobe Reader/Acrobat 8.0+, so there may be something off in your case :dubbio:...

36 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I tried to simply copy-and-paste directly from my [major] Tampermonkey userscript.

... The "more" correct way to do it is:

1. click the code button (</>) in the MSFN editor toolbar
2. In the opened popup, change the code syntax to "Javascript" (bottom right)
3. Paste the code (you copied directly from TM) in the main box
4. Click the "Insert into post" blue button
5. (Optional) Preview your embedded code (far right button of the MSFN toolbar)

:P

Edited by VistaLover