Supermium

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I've also now tried Thorium 122, and that works, albeit not using my Supermium profile.
As far as I can see, it's superficially identical to Supermium as far as the GUI is concerned, just with 'Supermium' replaced with 'Thorium' in the text!
Unless it's got worthwhile changes under the bonnet compared with Superium, I can see no compelling reason to use it instead of Superium.
Now back with Superium 121.
Can anyone report Superium 122 working for them on XP 32 bit?
:dubbio:

I use the Supermium 122, some times youtube video can't play, but the other time is OK

Well, I'm still not having any luck. :no:

I've now installed Superium 122 in a separate folder, completely clean with no extensions and a new clean profile.
Superium 121 is still running fine.

Still just getting the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error all the time in 122.
Research brings up the general consensus that this is caused by faulty RAM, which I'm sure isn't the problem here!
Whatever the cause, it is a memory addressing issue.

Sometimes it works for a moment, and I see what I'm seeing here -

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.e53b290a8fb15f6657c90e7a36681d8b.jpg

If I dismiss the foreground error message, the browser immediately goes to the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error.

Anyone any ideas?

Assuming for all chrome based browsers, you may not switch from portable and otherwise.

For the portable flags are mandatory at first run, before the profile being created.

as from ungoogled

--user-data-dir=....

--disable-machine-id

--disable-encryption-win

Thanks.

There is no portable version, at least if there is I couldn't find it.
I tried just extracting the files from the setup.exe file the first time, which didn't work with the same problem.
For this latest try I did run the installer, and told it where to put the files, and also to make a shortcut, NOT write to the registry, and install the NoToEmoji font (what exactly is that all about?)
Unlike 121, which had problems allocating a default location for the user profile in XP, 122 setup correctly put it in my Users\Dave\Application Data\Supermium folder.

So, I will try now running it with the --disable-machine-id and --disable-encryption-win switches when I get back to the machine.
I'll let you know!
If it doesn't work, I will delete the Profile folder and try again.
:yes:

Still no joy, I'm afraid, even with those two switches.

Surely I don't need to use the '--user-data-dir=' switch?
The browser is generating the Profile folder exactly where I would expect it to.

Anyway. Fixed!

:thumbup

After all that, it turned out that the problem was with Malwarebytes Premium, which I use as my Internet security.
It has a function which allows it to protect certain programs.
I've already had to turn it off for other programs like Acrobat Reader and Word, where it caused freezes.
I should have realised that it was a prime suspect here.
I switched off its protection of Chrome, and everything came good.
Quite why it wasn't causing the same problem with Supermium 121 I have no idea, but 122 is now running fine, in fact much more quickly than 121 ever did.
It is of course very likely that Malwarebytes was slowing down 121 as well, but just not making it crash.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Cheers,
Dave.
:)

3 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Anyway. Fixed!

:thumbup

After all that, it turned out that the problem was with Malwarebytes Premium, which I use as my Internet security.
It has a function which allows it to protect certain programs.
I've already had to turn it off for other programs like Acrobat Reader and Word, where it caused freezes.
I should have realised that it was a prime suspect here.
I switched off its protection of Chrome, and everything came good.
Quite why it wasn't causing the same problem with Supermium 121 I have no idea, but 122 is now running fine, in fact much more quickly than 121 ever did.
It is of course very likely that Malwarebytes was slowing down 121 as well, but just not making it crash.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Cheers,
Dave.

Finally, glad to know you fixed the problem! You are welcome, if you have any questions/need help, ask, we are here for you!

Edited by mina7601

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Well, I'm still not having any luck. :no:

I've now installed Superium 122 in a separate folder, completely clean with no extensions and a new clean profile.
Superium 121 is still running fine.

Still just getting the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error all the time in 122.
Research brings up the general consensus that this is caused by faulty RAM, which I'm sure isn't the problem here!
Whatever the cause, it is a memory addressing issue.

Sometimes it works for a moment, and I see what I'm seeing here -

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.e53b290a8fb15f6657c90e7a36681d8b.jpg

If I dismiss the foreground error message, the browser immediately goes to the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error.

Anyone any ideas?

qBIH8wpkLUA5mYo.png

What's this software,it looks like a quick start tool

Supermium 122 still have a big problem: on some website we can't upload picture and attachment

As i understand user-data-dir must be set explicitly, but if you are not having other chromes to interfere then it may be okey without user-data-dir

--user-data-dir=C:\chrome\data

6 hours ago, hidao said:

qBIH8wpkLUA5mYo.png

What's this software,it looks like a quick start tool

Supermium 122 still have a big problem: on some website we can't upload picture and attachment

That's exactly what it is, it's an ancient 16 bit program called 'Run'!
I use it as a program launcher on Windows XP and Windows 98.
I'll keep an eye out for problems with Superium 122 and report anything I find.

7 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's exactly what it is, it's an ancient 16 bit program called 'Run'!
I use it as a program launcher on Windows XP and Windows 98.

From where did you get this program? Trying to find it at Google just gives me results for a program called Run Command.

4 hours ago, feodor2 said:

As i understand user-data-dir must be set explicitly, but if you are not having other chromes to interfere then it may be okey without user-data-dir

--user-data-dir=C:\chrome\data

Superium 121 had a problem in that it relied on an environment variable which didn't exist in XP to place its profile folder.
If you didn't add the variable (I can't remember what it's called) it would put its profile folder in the Windows Temporary folder.
I decided I wanted the profile folder in the same \Program Files folder as the program, as I have it for 360Chrome, so I ended up using the command line switch in the shortcut.
I'm still doing that with 122.
122 when installed didn't seem to have the same problem as 121, and without the switch it put the profile folder in the <Username>\Application Data folder, which is where I would expect it to put it by default, so it looks as if the problem with the missing environment variable on XP has been sorted out.

1 minute ago, mina7601 said:

From where did you get this program? Trying to find it at Google just gives me results for a program called Run Command.

That's lost in the mists of time I'm afraid!
Someone else asked about it a while ago, and I gave them a copy.
You can have it too if you want.
I've always found it very useful.