US government gives TikTok an ultimatum

It is just information warfare. The US wants the data to themselves. This isn't about data privacy or security or else they would be going after all the major platforms.

Also all third party apps should be banned from government devices. I don't even know why that talking point comes up. Anyone who has worked in a legit enterprise environment knows that corporate systems are only allowed to use vetted programs.

For TikTok’s critics, it’s not just about personal data: It’s also about what we might call “Xi-nophobia.” Chairman Xi, who is said to be “Putin’s puppeteer,” will allegedly use TikTok to spread Chinese propaganda and “brainwash America’s youth” with the help of artificial intelligence. If you point out that TikTok’s headquarters are in Singapore, they will retort that Singapore is “a well-known Red Chinese nest,” and in any case parent company ByteDance is in fact based in Beijing. It sounds suspiciously like jingoism to me, but I don’t plan to use TikTok on my iPhone. :}

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

For TikTok’s critics, it’s not just about personal data: It’s also about what we might call “Xi-nophobia.” Chairman Xi, who is said to be “Putin’s puppeteer,” will allegedly use TikTok to spread Chinese propaganda and “brainwash America’s youth” with the help of artificial intelligence. If you point out that TikTok’s headquarters are in Singapore, they will retort that Singapore is “a well-known Red Chinese nest,” and in any case parent company ByteDance is in fact based in Beijing. It sounds suspiciously like jingoism to me, but I don’t plan to use TikTok on my iPhone. :}

Wow! I amazed you're allowed to talk about politics here so openly! Not saying I don't agree, but still, you know...

MSFN’s tiny Anti-Kaspersky clique has already broken any geopolitical barrier that was once thought to exist, e.g. I wonder if moderators noticed that AstroSkipper announced his own foreign policy in a Windows XP thread? However, if a moderator chooses to delete my previous post here, I would not be angry or heart-broken. I miss the old MSFN. :(

9 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

MSFN’s tiny Anti-Kaspersky clique has already broken any geopolitical barrier that was once thought to exist, e.g. I wonder if moderators noticed that AstroSkipper announced his own foreign policy in a Windows XP thread? However, if a moderator chooses to delete my previous post here, I would not be angry or heart-broken. I miss the old MSFN. :(

It's you who want to see it that way, people are worried about their safety first! Like in the case with TikTack, where they store ones data on Chinese servers. A big question is, why are you going on a personal vendetta against normal people, who never said anything bad about you? Are there any financial strings attached? Or it's again just your usual stalking?

Please bare in mind, it's just a simple question, nothing else! And I'll be perfectly fine, if it remains unanswered. Thnx!

Terrorists and looters still need to be policed and punished. National interests still need to be protected, like in this case with TikTok.

Otherwise it's just anarchy, not freedom.

I can't even imagine, if we had no police, who'd protect us from those evil forces that literally shove Kaspersky down our throats?

11 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

Terrorists and looters still need to be policed and punished. National interests still need to be protected, like in this case with TikTok.

Otherwise it's just anarchy, not freedom.

Right! BTW, quoting Benjamin Franklin and promoting Kaspersky is a contradiction in terms. The poor man would surely turn in his grave if he became aware of the misuse of his words.

6 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

...and promoting Kaspersky...

I NEVER USED KASPERSKY! You sound just like D.Draker and the other accounts of the Vista x64-using, Kaspersky-hating European (all of which I am blocking). What I am promoting is freedom of speech at MSFN, nothing more or less. I would truly like to be on friendly terms with you AstroSkipper, but perhaps it is too late for that now. If I have offended you in a personal way, then I sincerely apologize for that. I’m trying to celebrate Independence Day here, so good night to you now.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I NEVER USED KASPERSKY! You sound just like D.Draker and the other accounts of the Vista x64-using, Kaspersky-hating European (all of which I am blocking). What I am promoting is freedom of speech at MSFN, nothing more or less. I would truly like to be on friendly terms with you AstroSkipper, but perhaps it is too late for that now. If I have offended you in a personal way, then I sincerely apologize for that. I’m trying to celebrate Independence Day here, so good night to you now.

I just wonder for how long will you post off-topic, derailing spam? Post after post, personal attack one after another. Aren't you tired? If someone removes the insults from your posts, the style of them would maybe fit to some social network, maybe. All those "hate speech" talks, when there's none.

And please accept my congratulatons on the Independence Day from Great Britain.

Edited by Cocodile
Great Britain

• 1 month later...

My apologies for bumping this topic, but it has come to my attention that India has banned TikTok along with many other Chinese apps, ostensibly to protect the personal data of its citizens - although the policy evidently began after a deadly border clash with Chinese forces in June 2020:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53225720

That link is only one among many and I have certainly not read them all, but India’s list of banned Chinese apps has subsequently grown from dozens to hundreds

I certainly do not wish to start an argument, but this does raise difficult questions about proper forum conduct. As an MSFN member, should I show my solidarity with the “world’s largest democracy” (not to mention the fairly large democracy I was born in) by discouraging the use of TikTok, and perhaps even all Chinese software? Would this not contradict the free-speech position I have taken with respect to Kaspersky (which is a Russian company in case someone still doesn’t know that)?  Might it be considered racist to even point out the Chinese origins of software? (If so, then I might be guilty - a rare occasion when my chief antagonist expressed approval for one of my posts.) Might it be considered racist to attach greater weight to software bans by Western governments than to software bans by the government of India? 🤔

The wisdom of avoiding all political topics here is becoming increasingly clear to me. Have a nice day. :)