Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Maybe, it is time for you to switch to another antimalware programme.smilie_denk_24.gif

Can you update the list in the 3 post? Just to know what programms are working so far

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shelby said:

Can you update the list in the 3 post? Just to know what programms are working so far

The third post contains an "Alphabetical list of programs that need to be tested for compatibility, features and support or whose installers have been lost". I think you mean the fourth post which contains the"Alphabetical list of programs that have recently been abandoned or should be avoided". But does 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 really not work any longer? :dubbio: I personally assume it is still working but only cloud-based. Am I right? scratch_one-s_head.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 3/4/2024 at 9:07 PM, Ascii2 said:

Many of the security software vendors should not really be trusted, but some are still competent (some more than others) in finding and handling other threats.

It would be good if access to Internet to the antivirus/antimalware can be blocked.  The definitions to many of the programs may be updated manually, via a mirror functionality, or automated via a different (than the antivirus/antimalware software) means.  This might be enough safeguard against at least some (many?) of the software antivirus/antimalware programs.

I am uncertain how easy it is to disable many of the antivirus/antimalware applications. I would think that, in addition to using a Firewall to block antivirus/antimalware application access to Internet, one would also have to prevent the installation of the software's network filter drivers from installing, which might cripple, somewhat, the functionality of the software.  Anyone else ever try to do such a thing?

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 12:38 AM, AstroSkipper said:
On 3/5/2024 at 11:33 PM, shelby said:

The third post contains an "Alphabetical list of programs that need to be tested for compatibility, features and support or whose installers have been lost". I think you mean the fourth post which contains the"Alphabetical list of programs that have recently been abandoned or should be avoided". But does 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 really not work any longer? :dubbio: I personally assume it is still working but only cloud-based. Am I right? scratch_one-s_head.gif

@shelby Is 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 still working or not? :dubbio: Have you checked whether the cloud scan engines are still being used by the programme? I need more detailed information to maintain the list. :yes: Unfortunately, the information you have provided has been known for a long time and does not clarify the support status of this programme. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@shelby Is 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 still working or not? :dubbio: Have you checked whether the cloud scan engines are still being used by the programme? I need more detailed information to maintain the list. :yes: Unfortunately, the information you have provided has been known for a long time and does not clarify the support status of this programme. smilie_denk_24.gif

first i have this notification. Second in the security center all are green lights

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

44 minutes ago, shelby said:

first i have this notification. Second in the security center all are green lights

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

None of this is really helpful. smilie_denk_24.gif Deactivate the Avira Scan Engine and check the Windows security center again! What is the status then? :dubbio: Next, let the programme scan a folder with files! Is a connection then established to the servers where the cloud scan engines are installed? :dubbio:

On 3/4/2024 at 4:18 AM, Ascii2 said:

I tried Kaspersky Embedded Systems Security 3.1.0.461 and Kaspersky Embedded Systems Security 3.3.0.87 on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

Both versions (version series) would replace or modify the following system files:

wzcsvc.dll (Wireless Zero Configuration Service)
shimgvw.dll (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer)

Kaspersky Embedded Systems Security 3.1.0.461 also modifies:

mfc42u.dll (MFCDLL Shared Library - Retail Version)

Kaspersky Embedded Systems Security 3.3.0.87 also modifies:

pdh.dll (Windows Performance Data Helper DLL)
userenv.dll (Userenv)
netapi32.dll (Net Win32 API DLL)
secur32.dll (Security Support Provider Interface)
user32.dll (Windows XP USER API Client DLL)
mfc42.dll (MFCDLL Shared Library - Retail Version)
usp10.dll (Uniscribe Unicode script processor)
shlwapi.dll (Shell Light-weight Utility Library)
ws2_32.dll (Windows Socket 2.0 32-Bit DLL)
msasn1.dll (ASN.1 Runtime APIs)
wintrust.dll (Microsoft Trust Verification APIs)
mscms.dll (Microsoft Color Matching System DLL)
olepro32.dll ()
fastprox.dll (WMI)
odbc32.dll (Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Driver Manager)
winmm.dll (MCI API DLL)
atl.dll (ATL Module for Windows XP (Unicode))
wldap32.dll (Win32 LDAP API DLL)
wmiprvse.exe (WMI)

It is not clear why the products do so.  After restoring the original files, the original files were again replaced with Kaspersky modified ones after a few reboots.

This is really very helpful, thank you for the detailed and such factual report!

Edited by Dave-H
Inflammatory comments removed.

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Is a connection then established to the servers where the cloud scan engines are installed? :dubbio:

No there is no connection to the servers. Only scan with the program 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, shelby said:

No there is no connection to the servers. Only scan with the program 

I'm sure the readers and myself would be very pleased if the information you provide was presented in a little more detail. :P What exactly did you test? How did you determine that no connection to the cloud servers was established? :dubbio: And so on. People want to be able to understand and judge what exactly you have investigated and how you came to your conclusions. BTW, have you already tested the most recent version 360 Total Security 11.0.0.1083:dubbio: On its homepage, it is claimed to be still XP-compatible. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, have you already tested the most recent version 360 Total Security 11.0.0.1083:dubbio: On its homepage, it is claimed to be still XP-compatible. :)

The windows does not sees this version 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, shelby said:

The windows does not sees this version 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Who cares what the security center of Windows is able to recognise. Disable the corresponding notifications respectively the antivirus monitoring! What's more important is that it works and how it performs.

Edited by AstroSkipper

29 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Who cares what the security center of Windows is able to recognise. Disable the corresponding notifications respectively the antivirus monitoring! What's more important is that it works and how it performs.

Are you talking for this?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, shelby said:

Are you talking for this?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Among other things! Try to scan a couple of files! Check the RAM consumption and the CPU usage using a tool like Process Hacker! In short, check the scanner abilities and the whole programme performance! At least, I would do that to get an impression whether the programme is any good.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Among other things! Try to scan a couple of files! Check the RAM consumption and the CPU usage using a tool like Process Hacker! In short, check the scanner abilities and the whole programme performance! At least, I would do that to get an impression whether the programme is any good.

is that ok?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Edited by shelby