Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

Subject: Kaspersky

Let’s say you are running Windows XP and would like to try a 2018 version of Kaspersky (18.0.0.405) for whatever reason (maybe you live in a nonaligned nation, or maybe you don’t believe the fate of the Western world depends on the software used by a few Windows XP diehards, or maybe your favorite Western antivirus dumped XP users a long time ago). You can find it here:

https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/

One thing we know about Kaspersky is that it is effective! In independent tests conducted by AV Test over the years, Kaspersky Internet Security nearly always scored a perfect 6-6-6, only rarely slipping to 5.5 in some particular category. (You will have to scroll down to late 2017/early 2018 to see results for version 18.0 specifically.)

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/manufacturer/kaspersky-lab/

A minor concern of mine was that unlike Avast, Kaspersky never submitted their free version for testing by independent labs, which is actually one reason why I never used it. However, AstroSkipper reassured me about that in his May 8 post:)

According to this Kaspersky support article, version 18 did not even require an SSE2-capable processor:

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/compatibility/15479

The article implies that version 19 is also compatible with XP, however one MSFN member reported to the contrary on May 14Edit: I still have my doubts about that report in light of this  June 14, 2019 post. (KFA 19 is an option for Vista in any case.)

Edited by Vistapocalypse
link to June 2019 post added

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

One thing we know about Kaspersky is that it is effective!

Yes, very! If one wants to be infected by Kaspersky itself, when it injects malicious java code in ones browser!

"Information Disclosure in Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Total Security..."

"...disclose unique Product ID by forcing victim to visit a specially crafted webpage (for example, via clicking phishing link). Vulnerability has CVSS v3.0 base score 2.6"

An official website of the United States government.

Source, in American English.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-8286

The concerns of the governments of Germany and the United States were already mentioned on the previous page. I live in the United States and do not use Kaspersky. Has the government of France issued a similar advisory?

Would it surprise anyone to hear that the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) also advised in 2019 “upgrading any EOL OSs no longer supported by Microsoft to a newer, supported OS, such as Windows 10”? I won’t hold my breath waiting for MSFN members to heed that warning - but with my Vista PC currently in a nonfunctional state, I suppose I am in compliance with that government advice.

Let’s not forget that the U.S. government has also warned about the threat posed by TikTok, which is an extremely popular app here. (Even someone who ran for Congress in my district last year mentioned being on TikTok.) However there is no TikTok on my iPhone, so I must be a model cyber-citizen! :angel

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Have you experienced any problems worth mentioning with Kaspersky?

it does install a browser addon but i always uninstall it right after 
i don't understand the phishing part of the problem; you mean kaspersky forces you to visit one of their pages which was found to be a backdoor? never happened to me, but i use it only for the anti-virus side of the program, they include a vpn too, maybe that's where the problem is?

Excuse me, why do you post about 64-bit Vista here?

Any discussions about OSes, except Windows XP SP3, [which only comes in 32bit versions] are totally off-topic. I'm asking you both politely, please, stop posting off-topic! Thanks! 

Edited by Cocodile

18 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

Any discussions about OSes, except Windows XP SP3, [which only comes in 32bit versions] are totally off-topic. I'm asking you both politely, please, stop posting off-topic! Thanks! 

Thank you, @Cocodile! I totally agree to this.

To all who post in this thread or intend to do so!

I am @AstroSkipper, the creator of this thread. The following applies here: My thread, my rules! I have clearly and unambiguously communicated in my introductory post which conditions are attached to posting in this thread and must be followed in any case. Here is a quotation from this post:

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Any discussions, questions or suggestions about security programs for Windows XP are explicitly welcome. But one thing must be very clear, everything should relate to this topic. Just for clarification, insulting, provocative or completely off-topic posts (especially about operating systems other than Windows XP) will not be tolerated. snegatif.gif That means, please stay on topic!

Any infringement will not be tolerated by me. :no: So please, stay on topic! Thank you for your understanding!

Kind regards, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, Cocodile said:

I thought it might be beneficial to hear from an MSFN member who actually uses a legacy version of Kaspersky, and I thank @winvispixp for his speedy reply! :) True, he is actually running Vista x64 with extended kernel, but so is D.Draker/Cocodile.

I wonder how many pages must be devoted to tiresome self-quotations by the overly verbose OP? :boring:

i thought we were speaking about kaspersky (2018); why is it important on which windows version it runs (both xp and vista are long gone)? ff

4 hours ago, Cocodile said:

please, stop posting off-topic!

no off topic here? i shared my experience with said product?

Edited by winvispixp

16 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

i thought we were speaking about kaspersky (2018); why is it important on which windows version it runs (both xp and vista are long gone)? ff

Hello @winvispixp! This is very important. My thread about security programmes is targeting Windows XP only. You can see that easily in the headline of this thread, in my first, introducing post, and once again here:

Apart from that, we are here in the Windows XP forum.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

The Kaspersky-hating forum clique will use any pretext to suppress dissent. Thanks again for your reply. :)

3 hours ago, winvispixp said:

no off topic here? i shared my experience with said product?

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

:) True, he is actually running Vista x64 with extended kernel:boring:

You can't compare any product experience on 64 bit Vista with XP 32 bit. It's like comparing Moon to Mars. One example would be  that Vista has far more advanced firewall, and possibly can block the malicious connections made by Kaspersky. Moreover, we already read about your experience in Vista topic, where Kaspersky simply crashed with EX-kernel, I will of course not repeat it here, since, like I said, is 100% off-topic! Hence all you "discover" is asolutely not related to this topic, even @Vistapocalypse agreed he too posts off-topic.

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello

Hello! I came here led by a search engine, looking for security software that runs on 32bit vintage OS. I just wanted to show my appreciation and thank the amazing author @AstroSkipper.

Thank you for this wonderful collection! I'm looking forward to see more of your software! Cheers and regards! Nice forum.