Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

PC Tools Firewall Plus

PC Tools Firewall Plus is a personal firewall for Windows that helps to protect computers against unauthorised access via the Internet or a network connection. By continuously monitoring all network applications, Firewall Plus prevents Trojans, backdoors, keyloggers and other malware from damaging a computer or stealing private information. PC Tools Firewall Plus is XP-compatible and free. Comprehensive protection against attacks and known abusive programs is enabled by default. Experienced users can additionally create their own advanced packet filtering rules (including IPv6 support) and customise the network security mechanisms to their specific needs.

Features:

• Filtering of incoming and outgoing network connections;
  • Using global rules for ports and protocols that are set separately for each network;
  • Creating network access rules for programs that are already known;
  • Creating rules for programs that have a valid digital signature;
  • Control components and hidden processes and process memory;
  • Setting limits on network activity for individual programs and processes, and for incoming and outgoing connections separately;
  • Ability to visually alert you to a variety of events through pop-up windows;
  • Ability to visually display network activity through an icon in the notification area;
  • Availability of programme activity log;
  • Possibility of displaying information about the network activity of each programme;
  • Two modes of operation: basic and advanced;
  • Possibility of hiding one's computer from intruders;
  • Minimal use of network and system resources of the PC, so it is not an obstacle to playing games on the PC or watching streaming videos on the Internet.

Homepage: https://web.archive.org/web/20111002054823/http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Version number: 7.0.0.123

Date of release: 17.05.2011

System requirements:

Windows 7 (32/64bit)
Windows Vista (32/64bit)
Windows XP (32bit)

Release notes:

What's new in PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.111
January 31, 2011

Extensive Security Permission (ESP). PC Tools Firewall Plus has extended its Self Protection to block malicious programs bypassing the firewall. Some malicious programs access the internet by disabling the firewall allowing your personal information to be sent to the internet undetected. PC Tools Firewall Plus intercepts termination requests restricting who can terminate the firewall and modify protected objects.
    Improved Application rules interface displays an applicationâ??s details as well as extended/improved user control over input and output rule creation and modification. The new rules interface also allows creation and modification of new ESP rules. This allows the expert user complete control of the network access.
    More informative pop ups PC Tools Firewall Plus is built using the new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) architecture in Windows 7, Vistaâ?¢ and Server 2008 to provide you with precise control over all network traffic, including IPv6, on both 32bit and 64bit systems.
    Updated Profiles Interface for greater control over network access profiles.
    Configure trusted and untrusted network profiles to help ensure your network access to tailored to the security level of the network youâ??re connected to.
    Network Display has been extended to include detailed available adaptor information including assigned profile, MAC Address and traffic statistics as well as detailed network information including the IP, Gateway IP and subnet mask.
    Normal and Expert modes have been combined into one simple to use interface. The new interface has automatic rule and profile creation for the normal user as well as an interface allowing highly customisable configurations for expert users.

Reviews:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/a-review-of-pc-tools-firewall-plus.180365/

https://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/107746/

Download link: https://web.archive.org/web/20110904214707/http://www.pctools.com/mirror/fwinstall.exe

Screenshots:

PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-1.png

PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-2.png

PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-6.png

PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-7.png

PC Tools Firewall Plus seems to be an interesting firewall. It is supposed to use less system resources and it is free of charge. After my research, I think PC Tools Firewall Plus is an option for Windows XP. Unfortunately, I personally never used it for a longer time, so there is nothing more I can say. smilie_denk_24.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper firewall.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

One user reported possible compatibility issues between Wise Vector X and Chrome.
I can say that on many occasions that I had WiseVector StopX installed, 360 Extreme Explorer closed, reporting rare errors.

25 minutes ago, Cixert said:

One user reported possible compatibility issues between Wise Vector X and Chrome.
I can say that on many occasions that I had WiseVector StopX installed, 360 Extreme Explorer closed, reporting rare errors.

That was probably me. :P Have a look here: 

All 360 Extreme Explorer editions have to be excluded in WiseVector StopX. But unfortunately, this program was abandoned. Anyway! Thanks so far! You are very helpful here.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, Cixert said:

I forgot to mention that SuperAntispyware still works on XP. The program is paid. There is a 14 day trial version...

I used SUPERAntiSpyware Free several years ago. According to their Frequently Asked Questions, only the Free Edition and Technicians Edition are compatible with Windows XP/Vista, whereas the Professional X Edition requires Windows 7+. I can’t comment on its effectiveness because it never once detected anything in my case - but I did not suspect there was anything on my PC to detect. (I always had a good real-time antivirus installed and only used other products such as this one for on-demand scanning.) It is an American product that was recently acquired by RealDefense, based in California.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:24 PM, AstroSkipper said:

That's totally clear. The best fix would be a new, not vulnerable CPU. But, just for clarification, you think my performed test of New Moon 28 gives incorrect results on my computer. You consider Pale Moon browsers vulnerable in general, unlike current Firefox browsers. Right? :dubbio:

That test certailnly thinks it is. It's a tricky thing to exploit AFAIK, so if not impossible to exploit in your case, should be at least more difficult.

Can't say anything more on this matter as I'm not the expert at these things.

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

PC Tools Firewall Plus...

PC Tools was actually owned by Symantec, which might mean different things to different people in terms of its reputation. 🤔 I use the past tense because PC Tools was discontinued 10 years ago, but of course an old firewall should still work on an old OS. Another oldie that is perhaps worth mentioning is  Privatefirewall.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

That test certailnly thinks it is. It's a tricky thing to exploit AFAIK, so if not impossible to exploit in your case, should be at least more difficult.

Can't say anything more on this matter as I'm not the expert at these things.

First of all, thanks for sharing your knowledge! And, of course, no one can be an expert in all matters. :)

On 6/11/2023 at 9:13 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

PC Tools was actually owned by Symantec, which might mean different things to different people in terms of its reputation. 🤔 I use the past tense because PC Tools was discontinued 10 years ago, but of course an old firewall should still work on an old OS. Another oldie that is perhaps worth mentioning is  Privatefirewall.

Yep! A firewall for an old OS does not necessarily need updates or to be more recent. As long as it works, it is an option for users of Windows XP or Vista. That's why I listed PC Tools Firewall Plus here. And Privatefirewall is already on my internal list, too. However, thanks for mentioning it! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

22 hours ago, Cixert said:

I forgot to mention that SuperAntispyware still works on XP. The program is paid. There is a 14 day trial version.I have tested that work the latest version 10.0.1252 (173 MiB) from 2023 and version 6.0.0.1250 (30 MiB) (2017-12-22) with updated database.
But the "System tools" option stays frozen looking for items in the latest version (I have waited 10 minutes). While in version 6 it works fine.

https://www.superantispyware.com/

Hello @Cixert! I have been wondering for a long time that no one here mentions or recommends this program. :dubbio: So my compliments to you. ssupercool2.gif I have been using SUPERAntiSpyware since 2007, starting with version 3. The last compatible version with Windows 98 and ME was 4.24.1004. Since 2011, I have been in possession of a lifetime licence and have been using it in the Professional Edition ever since. And you are absolutely right, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional has been XP-compatible for years and actually runs without problems. According to the fact that an automatic update from the version 10.0.1250 to 10.0.1252 isn't offered anymore in my system and according to their FAQ, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional doesn't seem to support Windows XP anymore. :realmad: Therefore, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X Edition 10.0.1250 seems to be the last XP/Vista-compatible version. That's probably why you observed an issue under the option System Tools. In the version 10.0.1250, there is no problem with this option. Here are two screenshots of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X 10.0.1250 showing the main interface and the working option System Tools:

SUPERAnti-Spyware.png

SUPERAnti-Spyware-System-Tools.png

However, the Free Edition and Technicians Edition are supposed to be still compatible with Windows XP and Vista. Anyway! SUPERAntiSpyware has been on my list for a long time. And an article about it will come soon. But again, thanks for your recommendation! Good job! goodjob.gif

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

19 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I used SUPERAntiSpyware Free several years ago. According to their Frequently Asked Questions, only the Free Edition and Technicians Edition are compatible with Windows XP/Vista, whereas the Professional X Edition requires Windows 7+. I can’t comment on its effectiveness because it never once detected anything in my case - but I did not suspect there was anything on my PC to detect. (I always had a good real-time antivirus installed and only used other products such as this one for on-demand scanning.) It is an American product that was recently acquired by RealDefense, based in California.

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Cixert! I have been wondering for a long time that no one mentions or recommends this program. :dubbio: So my compliments to you. ssupercool2.gif I have been using SUPERAntiSpyware since 2007, starting with version 3. The last compatible version with Windows 98 and ME was 4.24.1004. Since 2011, I have been in possession of a lifetime licence and have been using it in the Professional Edition ever since. And you are absolutely right, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional has been XP-compatible for years and actually runs without problems. According to the fact that an automatic update from the version 10.0.1250 to 10.0.1252 isn't offered anymore in my system and according to their FAQ, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional doesn't seem to support Windows XP anymore. :realmad: Therefore, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X Edition 10.0.1250 seems to be the last XP/Vista-compatible version. That's probably why you observed an issue under the option System Tools. In the version 10.0.1250, there is no problem with this option. Here are two screenshots of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X 10.0.1250 showing the main interface and the working option System Tools:

SUPERAnti-Spyware.png

SUPERAnti-Spyware-System-Tools.png

However, the Free Edition and Technicians Edition are supposed to be still compatible with Windows XP and Vista. Anyway, SUPERAntiSpyware has been on my list for a long time. And an article about it will come soon. But again, thanks for your recommendation! Good job! goodjob.gif

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

As you can see, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X seems to be abandoned just recently, in March of 2023. That's very regrettable, of course! :( :angry: :realmad: But the updating of definitions still works, of course! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

As you can see, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X seems to be abandoned just recently, in March of 2023. That's very regrettable, of course! :( :angry: :realmad: But the updating of definitions still works, of course! :yes:

Perhaps the new owners at RealDefense (yes, Americans spell “defence” with an “S”) are not as keen on supporting XP - but then again, even the previous management had an August 2018 blog post that you might not really care for. :huh: It sounds like definitions are still dual-signed even for the Professional X Edition at this time. As I recall, the Free Edition did not register itself in Security Center. Is that also true of your paid version? This was at least a product that didn’t cause me any problems.

43 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

but then again, even the previous management had an August 2018 blog post that you might not really care for

That's what usually is said in terms of XP and Vista. Partly true, partly not! :boring: I think we already know all arguments.

As I recall, the Free Edition did not register itself in Security Center. Is that also true of your paid version?

My installation is very old. It did not register itself in Security Center. I can't say what would happen if I did a fresh installation.

RealDefense (yes, Americans spell “defence” with an “S”)

In this case, it is a proper name and is always written as the author intended, regardless of spelling. :D  We don't really want to go into further linguistic considerations, do we? Apart from that, it would be unfortunately off-topic.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 6/13/2023 at 8:13 PM, Cixert said:

IObit Malware Fighter is offered for Windows XP. I verify that works.
Unfortunately it consumes many resources and insists on installing software additionally. Advanced Systemcare.
https://www.iobit.com/malware-fighter.php

@Cixert! You are really helpful here. Thank you for your contributions! ssuper5sur5.gif IObit Malware Fighter, another candidate which is already on my list. Unfortunately, I have had the same unpleasant experience as you. IObit tries to push their Advanced Systemcare product on every user. This is totally annoying. :realmad: I have also noticed the increased consumption of resources. And when you uninstall software from IObit, there is always something left over. Then it's a matter of searching and manual cleaning.. :angry: On the plus side, IObit Malware Fighter is still compatible with Windows XP, for whatever that's worth. :D Unfortunately, in Windows XP we can't be very picky and have to consider every option, even those we would normally discard. At the moment, we still have other options, fortunately. g036.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 6/12/2023 at 12:14 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Cixert! I have been wondering for a long time that no one here mentions or recommends this program. :dubbio: So my compliments to you. ssupercool2.gif I have been using SUPERAntiSpyware since 2007, starting with version 3. The last compatible version with Windows 98 and ME was 4.24.1004. Since 2011, I have been in possession of a lifetime licence and have been using it in the Professional Edition ever since. And you are absolutely right, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional has been XP-compatible for years and actually runs without problems. According to the fact that an automatic update from the version 10.0.1250 to 10.0.1252 isn't offered anymore in my system and according to their FAQ, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional doesn't seem to support Windows XP anymore. :realmad: Therefore, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X Edition 10.0.1250 seems to be the last XP/Vista-compatible version. That's probably why you observed an issue under the option System Tools. In the version 10.0.1250, there is no problem with this option. Here are two screenshots of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X 10.0.1250 showing the main interface and the working option System Tools:

Can you confirm that the last XP version PRO is 10.0.1250?
I have tried the trial version and the last one that works completely is version 10.0.0.1238.
https://www.filepuma.com/download/superantispyware_10.0.1238-29661/
In higher versions when I go to the System Tools - System Investigator option, it happens that explorer.exe is blocked and I must force the computer's restart.
I would like to emphasize that version 10.0.0.1208 is the last one that has 50 MiB of size, then become 100-200 MiB.

Edited by Cixert
10.0.0.1238 is the last version