Windows Vista on Alder Lake System

WinFX

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Surely none of ny business, but I 'd say the GPU choice is rather weird. An 8 years old budget mid range for such modern mobo with DDR5?

It is indeed, but for now it's enough for a single 60Hz 1080p monitor. I also haven't decided yet whether to upgrade to a better 10 series gpu or 20 series as I don't know if I'm ever going to be using Vista on this PC and if @win32 makes a modified driver for 20 series in the future.

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I mean, such an old card can have potential conflicts with the new board. Perhaps the reason Vista acts up?

I don't think so as there are no conflicts on Windows 8.0

• 1 month later...

On 5/29/2023 at 8:02 PM, TSNH said:

I have finally decided to upgrade my Ryzen 5 1600AF PC and this time I went for Intel cpu, namely I5-12600 with MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard.
One of the first things I've tried out after building the PC was Windows Vista and the installation went without any problems and at first everything seemed fine.
After some time i noticed that around 25% of UAC prompts failed to start with an error. I installed some programs and drivers (including USB3 ones) and at some point the device was not able to shutdown properly and any attempt to do so would result with this BSOD.

alderbsod.thumb.jpg.88f79c18f22615e531415bdb956ed017.jpg
While the fameous "Logon procedure failed" error never showed up, sometimes the explorer wouldn't start automatically so I had to do it manually.
Everything got even worse after I installed the nvidia GPU drivers - from that point only half of the bootups were fully successful and most of the times numerous services like Windows Audio, Defender or themes failed to start.
So to sum up Haswell issues are NOT gone with Alder Lake. I'm not sure why I got different results than others here, but perhaps it is because my CPU does not have E-cores.
I also remember someone mentioning that the USB3 drivers have compatibility issues with the nvidia drivers so that's another potential cause.
In the end I decided to go for Windows 8.0 which works perfectly fine on this hardware.

Isn't that due to the lack of E-cores?

37 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake#List_of_12th_generation_Alder_Lake_processors

The i5 seemingly miss them, even the F models, only K and KF have them.

jaclaz

The OP tho managed to get Vista work on Alder Lake F model UPD: he have some issues, but to a lesser extent than TSNH

Edited by Cockatiel

On 7/8/2023 at 5:45 AM, jaclaz said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake#List_of_12th_generation_Alder_Lake_processors

The i5 seemingly miss them, even the F models, only K and KF have them.

jaclaz

Vista has that starting up problem since the first Haswell arrived, early 2013. I had an engineering sample of Pentium G in 2012, so I knew it even in 2012 already. They had that cores. So?

I have no idea of any correlation (or lack of it) between e-cores and Vista issues.

A statement was made to the effect that all Alder Lake processors had e-cores.

Another statement was made to the effect that only F and KF had them.

Both are seemingly not fully accurate.

I only provided a source[1] from which it comes out that up to i3 none have them, in i5 only K and KF have them, i7 and i9 have them regardless the model.

jaclaz

[1] Wikipedia, not necessarily to be taken as the ultimate truth

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

A statement was made to the effect that all Alder Lake processors had e-cores.

Another statement was made to the effect that only F and KF had them.

Both are seemingly not fully accurate.

I only provided a source[1] from which it comes out that up to i3 none have them, in i5 only K and KF have them, i7 and i9 have them regardless the model.

What I know for sure is that my i5-12600 does not have e-cores and does have integrated graphics (I disablled it in BIOS though) and it is actually the main reason why I bought it.

Windows Vista/7/8 has no idea how to manage those dual cpus and according to this article: https://www.hwcooling.net/en/test-disabling-small-e-and-big-p-cores-of-the-core-i9-12900k/3/ disabling e-cores on high-end Alder Lake CPUs leads to terrible power efficiancy, so I went for the best CPU with the classic core layout.

Of course I could go AMD (I've always been an AMD fan actually) but 7000 series has security issues - Microsoft Pluton and 5000 serises is DDR4 - only

On 7/9/2023 at 4:28 PM, Saxon said:

32-bit Vista could be a temp replacement, since it doesn't.

Yes, you're right, that's what I use on my Haswell PC, no issues at all.