Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

My next release will be an update version and mod of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2 itself with all filter lists that have already been their plus the list "uBlock filters – Quick fixes". :)

Thanks!

I still would like to know why 1.16.4.31b2 is successfully blocking YouTube ads and 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 is not, even with Legacy filters added to Custom. :dubbio:

I tried in clean profiles, with only Quick fixes added to the former.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

1.16.4.31b2 is successfully blocking YouTube ads

Can you please provide the YouTube link and a screenshot of the ads (maybe, you can outline all ads in red) you see by using uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 which is on the other hand successfully blocked by uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2:dubbio: This would be very helpful for reproducing here. :) I personally had problems to find ads in your last provided YouTube link. smilie-denk-17.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Can you please provide the YouTube link and a screenshot of the ads (maybe, you can outline all ads in red) you see by using uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 which is on the other hand successfully blocked by uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2:dubbio: This would be very helpful for reproducing here. :) I personally had problems to find ads in your last provided YouTube link. smilie-denk-17.gif

Well, both in the Led Zeppelin video and in the special Ad Blocker Test Video.

Screenshot of the second ad in the latter (Phantasialand ad):

spacer.png

If you don't see ads in either of them, then it must be PEBCAK here.

Though both videos are tested with default lists.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nicolaasjan said:

I don't see any ads in either of them. :no: And both videos are tested by me with default lists in New Moon 28, too. As far as I can see, my fixed release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 works fine here. But we need further tests and results from other users for confirmation purpose. :yes: As for PEBCAK, I wouldn't say you are a problem. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

37 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

But we need further tests and results from other users for confirmation purpose. :yes:

For that to happen it may be wise to ask in the My Browser Builds thread?

Btw, I also tested this in New Moon 28.

[Edit] Same in Pale Moon on Linux. :(

As for PEBCAK, I wouldn't say you are a problem. :P

Thank you! :)

Edited by nicolaasjan

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

Btw, I also tested this in New Moon 28.

[Edit] Same in Pale Moon on Linux. :(

Have you enabled the region and language-specific filter list NLD: Easylist Dutch? :dubbio:I always enable the filter list DEU: Easylist Germany. :yes:

49 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

For that to happen it may be wise to ask in the My Browser Builds thread?

Yep! Good idea! Maybe, there are users of @roytam1's browser editions willing to test the two YouTube videos in terms of embedded ads under my new release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 in New Moon or Serpent. I personally will ask here.

Edited by AstroSkipper

22 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Have you enabled the region and language-specific filter list NLD: Easylist Dutch? :dubbio:I always enable the filter list DEU: Easylist Germany. :yes:

Yes, with a new install of uBO NLD: Easylist Dutch is automatically activated (but that shouldn't have an impact on YouTube).

Edited by nicolaasjan

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Well, both in the Led Zeppelin video and in the special Ad Blocker Test Video.

Screenshot of the second ad in the latter (Phantasialand ad):

spacer.png

Though both videos are tested with default lists.

@VistaLover Can you please test the two YouTube videos from the quoted post above in terms of embedded ads under my new release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 in New Moon or Serpent but with only the preselecteddefault filter lists and the region-specific one enabled? I don't see any ads in either of them but @nicolaasjan does. Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 1/2/2024 at 12:53 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I have just created a new mod of uBlock Origin Legacy. No copy and paste from the webextensions of uBlock Origin any longer due to incompatibilities. :no: All filter lists can now be updated properly, at least there are no errors at the moment. I removed the self-update mechanism of the internal list which contain the default filter lists. I added the filter list "uBlock filters – Quick fixes" to the default ones. Both, the new filter list "filters-2024.txt" and the one from last year "filters-2023.txt" are now inside the xpi file and can be retrieved correctly. From now on, we will get the update of these filters, too. Furthermore, I solved the annoyance with the timestamp of some filter lists. Now, the timestamps are shown correctly. Inside the xpi file, all filter lists have been replaced by the most recent ones to be more recent after installing without immediate updating. I am now in testing mode.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

AS ... just discovered this late last night. With all your instructions for installing this new version ... it went well. Thanks for this newer version and all your time involved. I put this newer version on New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 and it all seems good on my end.

Thanks again ...

21 minutes ago, Monroe said:

AS ... just discovered this late last night. With all your instructions for installing this new version ... it went well. Thanks for this newer version and all your time involved. I put this newer version on New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 and it all seems good on my end.

Thanks again ...

Thanks for reporting and your kind feedback! Very appreciated! Did you also test the two YouTube videos from the quoted post above in terms of embedded ads? :dubbio: I need urgently further confirmations. :yes:

Posted (edited)

@nicolaasjan I did further tests. This time, I tested uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 in the most recent version 32.5.2 of Pale Moon under Windows 7 on a notebook. I cleaned the profile completely. I deleted all cookies, website settings, cache and so on. I removed all remnants of previous uBlock Origin Legacy installations. I can't see any ads in either of the two YouTube videos. :no: Please, check if you use a completely clean profile and install my mod again! In any case, delete all cookies and settings related to YouTube! Especially the file ublock0.sqlite in the subfolder extension-data.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Did you also test the two YouTube videos from the quoted post above in terms of embedded ads? :dubbio: I need urgently further confirmations. :yes:

No I did not but I will give it a try. About 6 years ago I gave up on watching YouTube videos and started using Youtube Downloader HD to watch videos. I really don't watch that many. They have an XP / Vista legacy version but there seems to be no active link at this time.

'Support for older OS: Windows XP/Vista 32/64 (please, download special XP/Vista release)'

Youtube Downloader HD - download videos easily / Youtube Downloader HD Portable Version

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Monroe said:

No I did not but I will give it a try. About 6 years ago I gave up on watching YouTube videos and started using Youtube Downloader HD to watch videos. I really don't watch that many. They have an XP / Vista legacy version but there seems to be no active link at this time.

'Support for older OS: Windows XP/Vista 32/64 (please, download special XP/Vista release)'

Youtube Downloader HD - download videos easily / Youtube Downloader HD Portable Version

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

I know Youtube Downloader HD very well and use it for many years, too. YouTube in web browsers on old hardware is no longer a good idea. :no: This site has gotten worse and worse from year to year. :thumbdown If I nevertheless want to watch a YT video directly in New Moon 28, I use the extension uTube or the service Invidious. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

@nicolaasjan I did further tests. This time, I tested uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 in the most recent version 32.5.2 of Pale Moon under Windows 7 on a notebook. I cleaned the profile completely. I deleted all cookies, website settings, cache and so on. I removed all remnants of previous uBlock Origin Legacy installations. I can't see any ads in either of the two YouTube videos. :no: Please, check if you use a completely clean profile and install my mod again! In any case, delete all cookies and settings related to YouTube! Especially the file ublock0.sqlite in the subfolder extension-data.

I also tested there my coming release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31. No ads in either of the two YouTube videos. :no: And this release also works flawlessly and without any issues in New Moon 28, Serpent 52 and Pale Moon 32.5.2. :) Under both versions 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 and 1.16.4.31, I don't see any ads in the Ad Blocker Test Video:no: It stays empty and black. :cool: Here is a screenshot with 76 ads blocked:

u-Block-Origin-Legacy-1-16-4-31b2-1-54-0

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

47 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Please, check if you use a completely clean profile and install my mod again! In any case, delete all cookies and settings related to YouTube! Especially the file ublock0.sqlite in the subfolder extension-data.

I created a new clean profile from within `about:profiles` (so no cookies and settings related to YouTube nor anything else) and installed your extension; updated the lists and still:

spacer.png

This is in Linux Mint 20.3 on Pale Moon 32.5.2

spacer.png

(offtopic: the startpage redirects to https://palemoon.start.me/jp; known issue I think)

Edited by nicolaasjan