Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

Hello, welcome to the forums !

36 minutes ago, Dudeisawesome247 said:

Thanks for reviving the Windows Update v3 & v5

You're welcome! As updating a 9x computer was becoming hard, I decided, with the members of this topic, to recreate these old websites, to make updating easier.

38 minutes ago, Dudeisawesome247 said:

Are there any news regarding V4?  Thanks

Not currently, V4 has been paused for now. The developer in charge of Windows Update V4 needed a small break.

To try using Windows Update v3.1, visit http://v3.windowsupdaterestored.com

On 1/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, WULover said:

V1, I don't know, but v2 yes.

V2 was designed for w98, and was shut down a long time ago.

Yeah, since this tape is from 1998, it could be Windows Update V2 !

(hope we find more of this mysterious version)

Also, just to recap:

- Windows Update V1 didn't existed (or for a very short time)

- Windows Update V2 was designed for Windows 98

- Windows Update V3 is designed for Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, ME and 2000

- Windows Update V4  is designed for Windows 98, ME, 2000 ans XP

- Windows Update V5 is designed for Windows 2000 and XP

- Windows Update V6 (which is still accessible today) is designed for Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows XP

- Windows Update V7 is still used today and to access it, you have to go to Control Panel -> Windows Update

Am I right ?

You are! Except for Windows Update v1 which was a preview/test version of the website, all is right. Also, please do not make this mistake:

Windows Update v3.0 supported only Windows 98; Windows Update v3.1 supported Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, ME and 2000.

Thanks for the indication

8 minutes ago, WULover said:

Also, please do not make this mistake:

Windows Update v3.0 supported only Windows 98; Windows Update v3.1 supported Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, ME and 2000.

Also, I have a few questions :

- Did windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x had updates? (I don't think so for 1.x and 2.x but I'm not entirely sure for 3.x)

- Since Windows Update V1 was a preview/test version and V2 was designed for Windows 98, does that means that Windows 95 didn't had online updates before V3.1 and that V2 was only for Windows 98?

Oh, and also, i just come across this (sorry, I didn't saw it)th4vl4Z.thumb.png.f701b1c2505486c65e0f1a9ed3463db5.png

Edited by NormanCyprien

4 minutes ago, NormanCyprien said:

Did windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x had updates? (I don't think so for 1.x and 2.x but I'm not entirely sure for 3.x)

They had updates but only on floppies, or on small patches online with a crappy Internet connection.

4 minutes ago, NormanCyprien said:

- Since Windows Update V1 was a preview/test version and V2 was designed for Windows 98, does that means that Windows 95 didn't had online updates before V3.1 and that V2 was only for Windows 98?

Windows 95 had updates available at http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/corporate.asp, and you had to download them manually.

7 minutes ago, WULover said:

Windows 95 had updates available at http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/corporate.asp, and you had to download them manually.

So that is kinda "Windows Update V0" isn't it ?

7 minutes ago, WULover said:
13 minutes ago, NormanCyprien said:

Did windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x had updates? (I don't think so for 1.x and 2.x but I'm not entirely sure for 3.x)

They had updates but only on floppies, or on small patches online with a crappy Internet connection.

And on which "website" (because 1985) thoses updates were stored ?

Edited by NormanCyprien

On 6/15/2023 at 1:09 PM, WULover said:

Hello, welcome to the forums !

You're welcome! As updating a 9x computer was becoming hard, I decided, with the members of this topic, to recreate these old websites, to make updating easier.

Not currently, V4 has been paused for now. The developer in charge of Windows Update V4 needed a small break.

To try using Windows Update v3.1, visit http://v3.windowsupdaterestored.com

Hello, I tried using the version 3.1 update website in Windows 95, I wonder why it loads very slow?

On 6/16/2023 at 5:47 AM, NormanCyprien said:

Thanks for the indication

Also, I have a few questions :

- Did windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x had updates? (I don't think so for 1.x and 2.x but I'm not entirely sure for 3.x)

Oh, and also, i just come across this (sorry, I didn't saw it)th4vl4Z.thumb.png.f701b1c2505486c65e0f1a9ed3463db5.png

Windows 3.1x had updates as seen here https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200234/windows_31x_patches_updates_guide/#W31PnUGuide but most of the links on that site don’t work 

Edited by WInUpdateFanv3

I've attempted to patch four 98SE VMs, with IE5.01, 5.01 SP2,5.5 SP2 and 6.0 SP1. The first three ended up with no outstanded critical updates or any other patches I was interested in installing. There were 404s along the way, but those files seem to have been made redundant by other patches. The IE 6.0 SP1 VM 404s on Security Update, November 2, 1999 "This update eliminates the "Virtual Machine Verifier" vulnerability..."

I've also tried with two Me VMs, with IE 5.5 SP2 and 6.0 SP1. The IE6 VM chokes on Security Update, May 19, 2000 "This update resolves the "IP Fragment Reassembly" security vulnerability" and Security Update, September 9, 1999 "Update for Security Vulnerability in Windows 98 Telnet Client" Both fail with an "Unknown Error". The IE 5.5 SP2 VM hangs without populating the updates. There's an error hidden behind the Please Wait pop up. It's a surprise as the same browser works on 98SE.

ie55.png

ie55-2.png

Edited by jetboy