ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)

When it comes to Deepl, you should use the Manual Proxy instead of the System Proxy option in Proxy Switcher. 360Chrome v13.5.1030 Redux in combination with Proxy Switcher seems to have problems when using the System Proxy option. Just tested with ProxHTTPSProxy. The Manual Proxy option works fine without any errors.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

I have tested Supermium and it needs so much memory, which is not available.
Does Thorium need less memory?

Thorium uses less RAM that Supermium in my experience.
Do you have 3GB of RAM available on your 32bit system, the maximum it can use natively?
If so, Thorium is fine on all but very heavy sites like scrolling on Instagram, where it will eventually run out and crash the tab.
Even with less than 3GB, it would probably be OK on most sites.
:)

59 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

When it comes to Deepl, you should use the Manual Proxy instead of the System Proxy option in Proxy Switcher. 360Chrome v13.5.1030 Redux in combination with Proxy Switcher seems to have problems when using the System Proxy option. Just tested with ProxHTTPSProxy. The Manual Proxy option works fine without any errors.

As I said, deepl is not important because no sensitive data is transmitted.

34 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Thorium uses less RAM that Supermium in my experience.
Do you have 3GB of RAM available on your 32bit system, the maximum it can use natively?
If so, Thorium is fine on all but very heavy sites like scrolling on Instagram, where it will eventually run out and crash the tab.
Even with less than 3GB, it would probably be OK on most sites.

Yes, I have 32bit and 3MB of available memory.
How much memory does your Thorium use when you have just started it?

28 minutes ago, Anbima said:

Yes, I have 32bit and 3MB of available memory.
How much memory does your Thorium use when you have just started it?

On my system without Thorium running, the RAM usage is around 1150/2814 (40%).
With Thorium running, with no tabs open, this changes to around 1600/2814 (57%).
I do have quite a few extensions installed on Thorium though, without those I suspect that the RAM usage would be considerably less.
:yes:

8 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

On my system without Thorium running, the RAM usage is around 1150/2814 (40%).
With Thorium running, with no tabs open, this changes to around 1600/2814 (57%).
I do have quite a few extensions installed on Thorium though, without those I suspect that the RAM usage would be considerably less.

Is there a portable version of Thorium?
Do you have a download-link?

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Anbima said:
2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

As I said, deepl is not important because no sensitive data is transmitted.

DeepL was only an example. :rolleyes: When using 360Chrome together with ProxHTTPSProxy, then either the settings in IE8 have to be changed or the Manual Proxy option has to be used by Proxy Switcher. All this can be clearly seen in ProxHTTPSProxy's logging window. BTW, the web interface of DeepL is broken in 360Chrome. It looks like a CSS issue.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

20 minutes ago, Anbima said:

Is there a portable version of Thorium?
Do you have a download-link?

https://github.com/Alex313031/thorium-legacy/releases

You will have to scroll down to the second section.
There are versions for SSE2, SSE3, and SSE4 systems.
Chose as appropriate, and do read what it says above the links.
The zip files do contain installation batch files, but you don't have to use them.
It should run fine as it is.

7 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

You will have to scroll down to the second section.
There are versions for SSE2, SSE3, and SSE4 systems.
Chose as appropriate, and do read what it says above the links.
The zip files do contain installation batch files, but you don't have to use them.
It should run fine as it is.

CPU-Z shows me the following:
SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A
Should I use SSE3 or SSE4?
Are SSE4 and SSE4A the same?

Prozessor: AMD Phenom II X4 945

Posted (edited)

Just a little reminder. This thread is about proxies. I believe there is no need to use Thorium together with ProxHTTPSProxy.:buehehe: @Dave-H Can you please move your conversation with @Anbima to the Thorium thread? A bit offtopic is normal and ok but I think this is the wrong place here. The Thorium thread is more suitable. Thanks! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I assume that SSE4A was an update to SSE4, so you should be able to use the SSE4 version OK.

Incorrect, SSE4A is AMD-only instruction set containing 4 instructions which are not available in SSE4.1 and subsequent SSE4.2, collectively known as full SSE4 set. SSE4.1 is being targeted by SSE4 build of Thorium, so @Anbima should stick with SSE3 version on his old AMD.

Edited by UCyborg

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 9:59 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I believe there is no need to use Thorium together with ProxHTTPSProxy.

... As I understood this, the suggestion was to use Thorium standalone (presumably because Thorium comes also with its own CA store/is less prone than 360EEv13.5 under WIndows XP to fail on secure connections... But yes, thanks to Anbima, last pages on this thread went like this: 

360EEv13.5 standalone -> 360EEv13.5 + ProxyMII -> 360EEv13.5 + ProxyMII + Local PAC script -> 360EEv13.5 + ProxyMII + Local PAC script + Chromium extension(s) -> 360EEv13.5 + ProxyMII + Local PAC script (without extension) -> 360EEv13.5 + ProxyMII (standalone, without PAC script) -> 360EEv13.5 + ProxyMII + extension -> Thorium standalone (for his "problematic" HTTPS connections) -> exclusively Thorium-related queries -> ...

IMHO, ProxyMII / ProxHTTPSProxy was the constituent with the lesser percentage in these recent discussions :whistle:; the "issue" could well have been posted in one of the 360EE threads ;) ... 

FWIW, if the issue encountered is the infamous "red-X" instead of a green padlock on some HTTPS connections on 360EEv13.5 under XP, this is an already known "issue" and can well be a "red herring" (or not, but no-one posted something definitive on the matter...); IIRC, you can restore the padlock on these connections by running the 360chrome.exe executable in win2k compatibility (or something in this vein - have never faced this issue under Windows Vista SP2 x86 myself...).

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Incorrect, SSE4A is AMD-only instruction set containing 4 instructions which are not available in SSE4.1 and subsequent SSE4.2, collectively known as full SSE4 set. SSE4.1 is being targeted by SSE4 build of Thorium, so @Anbima should stick with SSE3 version on his old AMD.

Thank you, shows how much I know about it!
:D

@Anbima

If you try Thorium as a solution to your secure connections problems with 360Chrome, and you have issues, please address those problems in the Thorium thread.
Thorium should not need the use of any proxies, as it is based on a very recent Chromium version.
:)

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, VistaLover said:

IIRC, you can restore the padlock on these connections by running the 360chrome.exe executable in win2k compatibility (or something in this vein - have never faced this issue under Windows Vista SP2 x86 myself...).

I have been using this trick to execute all more recent versions than 360Chrome v11 in Windows 2000 compatibility mode from the very first. But it doesn't work for the DeepL website in 360Chrome v13.5. Using ProxHTTPSProxy solves indeed this problem. While doing so, I noticed some strange effects. Enabling the System Proxy mode in the Proxy Switcher extension doesn't work in the same way as enabling the Manual Proxy mode which of course has to be configured correctly. Although DeepL was shown properly in 360Chrome v13.5 with the padlock and green coloured https, the ProxHTTPSProxy logging window shows clean, green connection entries only in the Manual Proxy mode. Thus, I changed some proxy settings in the IE8 and, however, got finally clean, green connections entries in the System Proxy mode, too. In any case, that was the actual reason for my last recommendation to use the Manual Proxy mode instead of the System Proxy mode in the Proxy Switcher extension to avoid having to change the proxy settings in IE8:yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content