A GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline

A while ago when I started using Ubuntu and wanted to see other Linux OS alternatives I found this massive and very well organized timeline of multiple Linux OSes.

dGD.svg

(Version 21.10)

When I found it I stared at it for a long time trying to read all the names to see how much of them I knew about. It is impressive how much bifurcations there are and it is very exiting to see that the list continues to grow with discontinued or newer OSes.

You can click on the name of the OS and it will send you to a page containing information about it (it doesn't seems to work right now, at least for me). It is a very good image.

The authors of the image are here -->  https://github.com/FabioLolix/LinuxTimeline

Cheers and enjoy the image.

Edited by Humming Owl

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Wow!  Holy Crap! 

Quite large right?

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I didn't see "Linux Mint Cinnamon" but in hunting for its branch I saw something called "Commodore OS".  Wonder if it's a Commordore 64 clone?

The "Cinnamon" is a referrer to the desktop interface used. You can use several interfaces with Linux Mint, like MATE or XFce (others can be installed as well).

I didn't know what a Commodore 64 was so I had to search, and when that computer was released I was -20 years old. An article says that Commodore OS was designed to look like an old Commodore system.

Here is an OS that can be installed on a Commodore 64 --> http://c64os.com/

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Quite large right?

I personally find that to be one of Linux's downfalls.
Don't get me wrong, I like "experimenting" and "tinkering" and I consider myself much more "advanced" and "geeky" than the vast majority of "computer users".
And I have EIGHT computers so I can "experiment" on one and "use" another.

I personally roll my eyes in disgust when I hear "people" (I wanted to swear here, but I'll refrain) say things like "use Linux" when people (non-swear general populous) using WINDOWS ask a question on a WINDOWS forum!
It's basically "trolling".  Lurch around on a WINDOWS forum just to throw out "use Linux" each and every chance you get?

To be fair, that same type of person exists on Linux forums but they stand on their soap box and shout "noobie" when people ask questions.
Here's a fun read --  https://devrant.com/rants/1447500/i-really-honestly-am-getting-annoyed-when-someone-tells-me-that-linux-is-user-fr

I'll use my uncle as an example on why that timeline is kind of the "downfall" to Linux.
My uncle retired from GM and my cousin worked two summers with a mutual fund investment firm before he decided to go into law enforcement instead.
This is several years before GM went bankrupt and required a "government bailout" (one moment while I spit on the ground in disgust!).
His 401k had THIRTY mutual funds to choose from.
The vast majority of factory employees (even on the salaried side like my uncle!) are "clueless" when it comes to taking a list of THIRTY mutual funds and narowing it down to three or so to allocate funds into.
So he never did!  Despite asking me and my cousin to assist him!  So GM defaulted his retirement funds into GM stock.  No diversification, just one basket, all GM stock.
My uncle is the type that used to cuss and swear when anybody would "attempt" to park in his driveway with a FOREIGN car.
But because my uncle did not want to take the time to research THIRTY mutual funds and allocate his 401k properly, he took a major beating when GM "restructured".
He drives a TOYOTA now!

Point is, having "that many" Linux distros is kinda along the same lines.  "In my view."  "Mileage may vary."

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

6 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally roll my eyes in disgust when I hear "people" (I wanted to swear here, but I'll refrain) say things like "use Linux" when people (non-swear general populous) using WINDOWS ask a question.

It's not so much what they say, the issue is IMHO the implied long stern look of disapproval:

https://www.marriedtothesea.com/092110/stern-look-of-disapproval.gif

jaclaz

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally find that to be one of Linux's downfalls.
Don't get me wrong, I like "experimenting" and "tinkering" and I consider myself much more "advanced" and "geeky" than the vast majority of "computer users".
And I have EIGHT computers so I can "experiment" on one and "use" another.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'll use my uncle as an example on why that timeline is kind of the "downfall" to Linux.

It can be seen like that. But one can see it in another way: it shows how a product can be made by people (not by a big company) to offer something instead of seeking the dominance of a market. It is a free road to choose where to go (system requirements might be the only thing to consider but there are a lot of Linux distros for older hardware). You may find very difficult tracks (many) when starting with Linux but it isn't like there is not help around. It will be hard, but at the end, if you decide to use it in some way, you will end up gaining a way of thinking that Microsoft axed with their ideal OS from the start. The influence of MS includes the generation of closed-source programs, the philosophy that the newer the stuff the better, and an induction in people's mind of a wrong and superficial way of what a computer is for. People who don't care about what a computer is and only need to use it because they are in the need of it (almost everybody), are people that I can't speak for. I only speak for those who want to actually know/see something else. I like Windows XP and 7 but it is sad that Microsoft was the one that brought it to the world.

There is an analogy with electric cars: if something happens to them, I can't just open the car hood and mess around a little with the mechanic parts to see if that fixes the issue. I don't feel in control of the car and I don't like it. In my opinion, the same happens with OSes. I am not a Linux expert but I kind of understand better the logic of how programs work thanks to it.

People who use Windows and are in these kind of forums have in some way avoided the MS axe I mentioned previously, so that they are "saved". I am sure the futures (being good or bad ones) of many people were determined by their use of Windows. I discovered Ubuntu from a guy at my University that casually downloaded a new version to install it in his PC (18.04). When I saw how this OS was, I was shocked because I though Linux was like only command lines and nothing else (not even a graphical environment :wacko:) and I immediately downloaded to test it. That changed my mind in a way I appreciate very much now.

Maybe I like too much Linux because it freed me from having to worry about so many things or, because I feel like a programmer when I use it, but aside from that, it feels like home.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 12:07 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This one made me chuckle:

spacer.png

My old Ubuntu 15.10 installation with MATE desktop environment did something similar, I kept settings as it is as I want monitors to go off after a period of inactivity but it seemed there wasn't a way for program to tell "Yo, keep the screen on, user is watching video". This was in a web browser actually, I haven't watched anything long enough in a proper media player on Linux.

This guy did have odd problems. Even in Ubuntu 15.10, NVIDIA drivers could be installed via GUI. You can find such rants for any OS, really.

Old problem on the Windows side from these waters, the OS wakes the monitor on very slight mouse movement. Like even mere vibrations moving around the house cause it. Never had that problem on Linux, the movement has to be good enough that it's considered that the user returned to the computer.

I like this comment:

I've long said Linux is not for everyone. If you enjoy tinkering, if you have some skills, it's a good match and you can do anything and everything you want. Windows 'just works' until it doesn't, and then you're up the creek. With Linux it doesn't always 'just work' but you can nearly always get it to work. Please note: I am NOT saying Linux is for some snobbish 'elite' --- it's for those who wish to put in the effort to learn to use and benefit from an extraordinary tool.

Windows 'just works' until it doesn't

Ain't that the truth!

Edited by UCyborg