StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

By recovering "the information" (present in dlls, etc...) that goes well, from the classic bar, it is possible to reimplement it, I have the impression
I'm not an expert, but I had seen the information on a Custom forum with someone who had already made modifications in the past

19 hours ago, Xao_Fan-Tzilin said:

In order not to cross spears with the new Microsoft policy, it may be worth abstracting from the idea of following the taskbar, and creating a separate application that simulates the taskbar (with the ability to attach folder icons and program launch icons there).. And define a place for the regular taskbar on the opposite side of the desktop and select auto-hide mode.
Then the wolves will be fed and the sheep will be safe.

Is it really possible to do this?

Yes, but that may defeat the purpose of the app. The purpose of the app is to provide lightweight legacy UI with better user experience; leaving new UI hanging there may compromise that.

So far we've agreed with MS to disable classic taskbar on 24H2 by default for now.

1 hour ago, Tihiy said:

So far we've agreed with MS to disable classic taskbar on 24H2 by default for now.

Ouch, that's a problem for me – the new taskbar's awful (random button widths when not grouping icons, no small icons, no quicklaunch toolbars…)

17 minutes ago, ender` said:

Ouch, that's a problem for me – the new taskbar's awful (random button widths when not grouping icons, no small icons, no quicklaunch toolbars…)

By default would seem to imply that it only defaults to disabled, not that the user couldn't choose to enable it.

5 hours ago, Tihiy said:

I guess it's time to disable the classic taskbar and adjust my workflow to prepare. :( 

Edit: The new taskbar isn't awful, if Tihiy (or if Microsoft wakes up) could give us small icons and find a way to add back toolbars (deskband) I think it would be good. The animations are nice looking, just the lack of customization that's the issue.

Edit 1: That didn't last long. I guess I'm sticking with 23H2 until we have more information about what is and isn't going to be possible.

Edited by mackid1993

Personally, the standard taskbar lacks height adjustment (the height of only one line categorically does not suit me). And I have already come to terms with the current Start (although I would be happy with the Start of the Win 10 sample).

Edited by Xao_Fan-Tzilin

18 minutes ago, Xao_Fan-Tzilin said:

Personally, the standard taskbar lacks height adjustment (the height of only one line categorically does not suit me). And I have already come to terms with the current Start (although I would be happy with the Start of the Win 10 sample).

Let's hope the rest of the taskbar is possible to rewrite like the system tray is. It appears that Start11 uses a fully custom taskbar, the registry hacks it used at the beginning don't exist anymore. RetroBar is also a thing, so it's been done before.

Actually after playing with Start11 it seems like they are patching the Win 11 taskbar with their own mods.

Edited by mackid1993

11 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I guess it's time to disable the classic taskbar and adjust my workflow to prepare. :( 

Edit: The new taskbar isn't awful, if Tihiy (or if Microsoft wakes up) could give us small icons and find a way to add back toolbars (deskband) I think it would be good. The animations are nice looking, just the lack of customization that's the issue.

Edit 1: That didn't last long. I guess I'm sticking with 23H2 until we have more information about what is and isn't going to be possible.

Yeah, Im certainly not moving onto the next version.  Even if that means having to disable windows automatic updates.  Not until I know I can retain my classic UI features. 

13 hours ago, Xao_Fan-Tzilin said:

It lacks a lot more when you think of it... the position adjustment (just a poor Indian startup can't afford to implement moving the taskbar to the left, y'know), the height adjustment (talking about both icon size and multiline taskbar), system tray icons customization, taskbar applets support if anyone still uses them... even the re-implemented features are working awfully, like new uncombined taskbar that uses different width for taskbar items (why??? what was their point of doing so???)...

Edited by barchee
-_-

I think I'm missing something.  What release or build is missing the ability to customize the taskbar using SAB?

I've tested 24H2 IOT Ent and IOT Ent LTSC, both at 26100.1 and 24H2 Server 2025 at 26085 and both work fine with SAB.

What build are you expecting trouble with? I think if MS was going to do something drastic with Explorer, they would have done it long before 26100.

Granted, my taskbar is very simplistic but it's done by SAB.  Image attached of my tb on IOT Ent LTSC 26100.

Any insight you can lend on the upcoming disappearance of the ability to customize the taskbar would be appreciated.

Jim

sabtb.thumb.jpg.e4590d2f911130de72283caa1bb7c9e9.jpg

2 hours ago, MidnightInAurora said:

I think I'm missing something.  What release or build is missing the ability to customize the taskbar using SAB?

I've tested 24H2 IOT Ent and IOT Ent LTSC, both at 26100.1 and 24H2 Server 2025 at 26085 and both work fine with SAB.

What build are you expecting trouble with? I think if MS was going to do something drastic with Explorer, they would have done it long before 26100.

Granted, my taskbar is very simplistic but it's done by SAB.  Image attached of my tb on IOT Ent LTSC 26100.

Any insight you can lend on the upcoming disappearance of the ability to customize the taskbar would be appreciated.

Jim

sabtb.thumb.jpg.e4590d2f911130de72283caa1bb7c9e9.jpg

It sounds like it's going to be disabled on new installs and the end user will have to manually check the option to enable it. That's what I read. Whether that is reality is not yet known.

I too (and others) use SAB for the classic taskbar mainly, if it is no longer available....
Not sure we're happy with the really ugly default taskbar (thickness, etc...)

Or stay with the 23h2 :D

7 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

I too (and others) use SAB for the classic taskbar mainly, if it is no longer available....
Not sure we're happy with the really ugly default taskbar (thickness, etc...)

Or stay with the 23h2 :D

I went back and my whole reason for using SAB was icon ungrouping, now that we have that I may be able to eventually get used to the new taskbar.

13 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

We use the classic bar, with a "small" size, 100% transparent and ungrouped buttons (like this)

tasbar.PNG.db7acab643ef1c6a76ec12915a42dbee.PNG

Yeah I like the small buttons. I'm trying to do my best to get used to stock Win 11 just in case.

Edited by mackid1993