StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

26 minutes ago, Tihiy said:

It is; there's NoDarkTooltips to force disable that

Thanks

I had this registry key before (that you gave me quite a while ago), but it did this (large tooltip)

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11/?do=findComment&comment=1262105

Possible to have the default Windows font and not have the larger tooltips ?

Thanks so much

PS : I could test with 0 and 1 otherwise

Edited by tistou77

I retested NoDarkTooltips, in fact the font is the default for Windows, but the tooltips are wider and the design is no longer that of Windows

Not possible to have tooltips and default Windows font like that ?

Win11original.png.786adf1ff7dc66058226680b3ae29193.png  SABoff.PNG.0d0e17003652057e3a2414e833c712e2.PNG

Thanks

26100.268 is out, SAB 3.7.9 still works! Looks like Explorer Patcher is worse off...image.thumb.png.3cc19f9556eef2187d7ed4f469d0976a.png

@Tihiy how is SAB able to still use the Win 10 taskbar if EP is saying it no longer works? Is this because you replaced the systray with your own code or is there more to the SAB taskbar that makes it more resilient to Microsoft?

3 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Those are XAML tooltips, not Win32 tooltips

Ok and so it's not possible to have the original tooltips with the original font (like the screens above) ?

The NoDarkTooltips registry key modifies the tooltips, and they are like this (and default Windows font) 

SAB3.7.7.PNG.5320da0bb08db7908e9b340e2726db53.PNG

Without NoDarkTooltips registry key (and darker Windows font) :

withoutkey.PNG.d942f4dec2b47b6d9e9c72f70b829fc3.PNG

Strange that without the registry key the font is darker (dark mode, etc... off)

Thanks for your help

Edited by tistou77

3 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

26100.268 is out, SAB 3.7.9 still works! Looks like Explorer Patcher is worse off...image.thumb.png.3cc19f9556eef2187d7ed4f469d0976a.png

@Tihiy how is SAB able to still use the Win 10 taskbar if EP is saying it no longer works? Is this because you replaced the systray with your own code or is there more to the SAB taskbar that makes it more resilient to Microsoft?

Yeah, Neowin called them out on it too, although I don't agree with their plugging Start11 -

https://www.neowin.net/news/latest-explorerpatcher-update-removes-old-windows-10-taskbar-in-windows-11-24h2/

Jim

2 hours ago, MidnightInAurora said:

Yeah, Neowin called them out on it too, although I don't agree with their plugging Start11 -

https://www.neowin.net/news/latest-explorerpatcher-update-removes-old-windows-10-taskbar-in-windows-11-24h2/

Jim

It makes sense, Microsoft removed the system tray from the old taskbar in 24H2 essentially breaking it. I saw your post on Github complaining about that to the EP devs, you probably don't realize that the system tray works in SAB in 24H2 only because Tihiy completely rewrote it from scratch. Explorer Patcher doesn't reimplement anything, it just patches Explorer with it's modifications to things existing in Windows already. It's free software and rewriting the entire system tray is outside the scope of what it's intended to do. StartAllBack is a commercial product that patches explorer with its own proprietary code, that's the difference. It's meant to be a customization tool to bring a classic Windows 7 era UI to Windows 8-11.

Start11 is 10 times the size of StartAllBack because it seems to hook more into explorer after it's already running and intercept function calls to do its thing, it runs a service and everything. That's why it's immune to Microsoft because it's not modifying Explorer in memory with a DLL, it's completely proprietary, it's also bug ridden and unstable. SAB consists of a few DLLs with Tihiy's special sauce, the config utility and an updater. It loads with Explorer, not after. Start11 is incredibly bloated, I've even restarted explorer with Start11 and seen it take a second to hook where the regular Windows 11 start menu will pop up and the taskbar will be stock and not their enhanced one. That will never happen with StartAllBack.

Edit: I just want to share this comment on Neowin. @Tihiy is indeed a genius and the entire fate of Windows does indeed rest with him.

image.thumb.png.74469c72f4638b3d54814e0cec4fcdeb.png

Edited by mackid1993

6 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

No it does not.
image.png.4e60f98cc8dd80721c60074faf0485f0.png

It literally did though lol.

I clicked that link and downloaded it in a VM at work and it installed 3.7.8, taskbar was enabled by default.

I just got home and clicked it, installed it over my existing install on my own PC and it installed 3.7.9.

39 minutes ago, AdmiralSpeedy said:

It literally did though lol.

I clicked that link and downloaded it in a VM at work and it installed 3.7.8, taskbar was enabled by default.

I just got home and clicked it, installed it over my existing install on my own PC and it installed 3.7.9.

That is the pre-release link Tihiy uses when he publishes a quick bugfix or in this case a test build to show to Microsoft so they remove the compatblock. The build can change. The link isn't wrong, maybe Tihiy took it down and put it back up? I doubt that because I downloaded it right after you posted that and got the same test build I got last week. Perhaps operator error? Cache?

3.7.9 is not actually released yet. The test build I have was signed Saturday April 20th and will be released if/when Tihiy decides to release it.

Hello, enhanced classic taskbar is restarting the gpu driver, with a black screen, on Netflix app from Store and also from Netflix in Edge browser, when i try to minimize, maximize or clicking on thumbnail above taskbar on build 26100.268. Doesn't happens with other browsers.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 220854.png

Screenshot 2024-04-28 222100.png