StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

1 hour ago, marathon said:

Tried it. Still had the same problem before and after activation. Also, is that the only negative to being inactive? A frowny face? I take it if I wipe again, I won't be able to activate for another 30 days?

D (Phone).png

a (Phone).png

B (Phone).png

C (Phone).png

Also make sure something is set in Icon count here. If you want icons to show up there it shouldn't say 0. If is says 0 try entering a number.image.thumb.png.e2befcb589a054b0a687bf0a3338c31e.png I

3 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

By chance have you tried right clicking a program and choose pin to start. 

I can manually pin icons, but icons are no longer added automatically when I click on programs. New programs also aren't highlighted. I have icon numbers set to 10.

5 minutes ago, marathon said:

I can manually pin icons, but icons are no longer added automatically when I click on programs. New programs also aren't highlighted. I have icon numbers set to 10.

Is this enabled? Have you tried clicking Clear list if so?

Edit: I just want to add if this doesn't work I'd suggest researching where Windows 7 would have stored these items in the registry. As far as I understand SiB/SAB are both meant to be compatible with Windows 7 era GPO so it would likely use the same registry entries.

image.thumb.png.426e4a33a3342958d3458ccf7b290910.png

Edited by mackid1993

9 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Is this enabled? Have you tried clicking Clear list if so?

It was turned off. I turned it back on and it worked for a while, but after clearing, some programs stopped showing up, and now it's empty again. It's like frequency of use and whether they're installed for everyone or just me affect whether they turn up after clicking them.

13 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

researching where Windows 7 would have stored these items in the registry.

Is there a template I can use to find them?

29 minutes ago, marathon said:

It was turned off. I turned it back on and it worked for a while, but after clearing, some programs stopped showing up, and now it's empty again. It's like frequency of use and whether they're installed for everyone or just me affect whether they turn up after clicking them.

I would just Google around, something is probably messed up in the registry on your machine. This doesn't sounds like a SAB specific issue. SAB works by reimplementing features that were once native to Windows which is why it works so well. That's also why many settings are scattered throughout the registry.

1 hour ago, marathon said:

Sorry for the double post, I had another thought that may help you. Maybe try creating a test user profile on your computer and see if that resolves your issue.

If that's the case you can recreate your profile which is much easier than reinstalling Windows. Just move your files over to the the root of the C: drive to clear any permissions on them and then once in a fresh profile put them into place. You can also copy any program folders out of Appdata Local and Roaming so you don't have to reconfigure every program if that is indeed the solution.

Appreciate the software as always, but, is there anyway to completely disable the acrylic context menus? Don't get me wrong they look great and really fit with the style of Windows 11. However, skinning has come alot since the first release of windows 11, for example this windows 7 theme im using (the only area startallback doesn't touch, the task manager) skins the win32 menus. Can dark magic turn them off? I know its supposed to be used to inject StartAllBack's menus into more stubborn programs, but could it do the opposite? image.png.2b7285bd395eb44fb889f0aba460585d.png

Hi,

3.6.12 does not work with 22631.2338 when I try to open explorer it makes me restart it constantly

I don't understand, in the previous pages it seems to work I have just finished my clean installation

EDIT : after analysis it seems that it is QTTabBar which is causing the problem. So I did a fresh reinstallation and everything seems to work without QTTabBar.

Edited by gsrd90

On 9/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, gsrd90 said:

Hi,

3.6.12 does not work with 22631.2338 when I try to open explorer it makes me restart it constantly

I don't understand, in the previous pages it seems to work I have just finished my clean installation

EDIT : after analysis it seems that it is QTTabBar which is causing the problem. So I did a fresh reinstallation and everything seems to work without QTTabBar.

So do I see it correctly that SaB  3.6.12 works fine with 23H2 and I can safely update?

Le 16/09/2023 à 16h18, SkyySX a déclaré :

Alors, est-ce que je vois correctement que SaB 3.6.12 fonctionne correctement avec 23H2 et que je peux mettre à jour en toute sécurité ?

Normally yes, but if you have doubts before switching to your main machine, try on a virtual machine to prevent any problems.

From what I understand, the next big update to Windows 11 is supposed to strip features like the classic start menu, control panel, explorer, etc.  Is there currently a plan to find a way to reimplement these things when they are actually removed?  Or will Start All Back just be dead? 

On 9/17/2023 at 9:57 PM, gsrd90 said:

Normally yes, but if you have doubts before switching to your main machine, try on a virtual machine to prevent any problems.

On 9/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, ATOdinson said:

From what I understand, the next big update to Windows 11 is supposed to strip features like the classic start menu, control panel, explorer, etc.  Is there currently a plan to find a way to reimplement these things when they are actually removed?  Or will Start All Back just be dead? 

Well I tested SaB in a 23H2 VM now and it worked like a charm :)

Suggestion: Upon installing a new Windows build, SaB triggers a notification telling us that there is no new version (of SaB). It would probably be better to only trigger that if there is. since otherwise it's a notification of nothing, which isn't normal.

On 9/22/2023 at 3:27 PM, rseiler said:

Suggestion: Upon installing a new Windows build, SaB triggers a notification telling us that there is no new version (of SaB). It would probably be better to only trigger that if there is. since otherwise it's a notification of nothing, which isn't normal.

Yes and no. On the one hand I understand your point that the notification of nothing is not "usually" normal. But on the other, what it is doing is the same as if you had manually asked it to check for updates. If you did that and you didn't get a response if there were no new updates, then you would be right to complain that it should at least confirm that you are running the latest release, correct? So it seems to me that having this harmless confirmation that there is no new version when you install a new Windows build is a much better situation than getting no response when you check for updates manually when there is no new version, which, for most people, will be a much more frequent occurrence. Yes, I suppose logic code could probably be added to check to see if this update request was occurring for the first time for this build and was not manually triggered, but it doesn't really seem that important. Just my opinion.