StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

Hello, how can I disable the check for updates? I'm getting new version notifications every day and I can't turn it off. There is no option to turn off the notification either in Windows or in the Startallback app. Thank you.

Again reporting this problem, it happens that the Edge profile icons look like this when the labels are hidden, and when you change and show the labels it goes back to how it should be, please, it is clear that the problem has to do with the program, I hope you can give me a solution.

1.png

2.png

6 hours ago, Belerafon said:

Hello, how can I disable the check for updates? I'm getting new version notifications every day and I can't turn it off. There is no option to turn off the notification either in Windows or in the Startallback app. Thank you.

Block this IP address

in hosts, should work. On the other hand, why would you need to disable SAB updates?

One more issue I noticed in 22H2 with October Updates:

Start Menu's "Recent Documents" item doesn't use its localized name, being shown in English most of the time.

673291389_.png.1534f7c3372ca45a3ee9716d7c12fb6b.png

Edited by barchee

11 hours ago, barchee said:

Block this IP address

in hosts, should work. On the other hand, why would you need to disable SAB updates?

Windows hosts file can't block IPs. Only domains. Firewall rule is needed.

Why disable updates? I prefere to use older and familiar versions of any software and update everything manually (controlled) - in case if it is not a security update. Mybe this policy is not perfect, but this is my choice. Usually any software has option how often to check for updates, and one of the options is "never". I would like to have the same function for SAB.

16 hours ago, dantearata said:

I have always used without showing labels

Sure, but taskbar will show window icons, not app icon.

6 hours ago, Belerafon said:

Why disable updates?

I understand. But with Windows 11 changing very much each month, you don't have luxury of postponing update of SAB which replaces part of the OS.

3 hours ago, dantearata said:

Start11 works perfectly, so this issue has to be with StartAllBack.

I think what Tihiy is saying is that the taskbar in StartAllBack will show the icon associated with the Window (it can be seen usually in the top left corner), not the app. For example, a PWA I run shows a slightly different icon when the app is open vs when the app is closed. When open the taskbar shows the icon one would see in the top right corner of the application window, when the app is closed it shows the slightly different app icon. The stock Win 11 taskbar doesn't do that but the SAB taskbar does. Start11 is a completely different (inferior) product that completely re-implements a rather buggy attempt at a taskbar that runs in an external process. What is nice about SAB is that the program is essentially injecting it's code into explorer.exe leading to less resource usage and better user experience.

18 hours ago, Belerafon said:

Windows hosts file can't block IPs. Only domains. Firewall rule is needed.

Why disable updates? I prefere to use older and familiar versions of any software and update everything manually (controlled) - in case if it is not a security update. Mybe this policy is not perfect, but this is my choice. Usually any software has option how often to check for updates, and one of the options is "never". I would like to have the same function for SAB.

You can redirect IPs to localhost, though. Not sure if this can be insecure, but that worked for me last time

On 10/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, barchee said:

Also is there any way to revert the navigation bar look to pre-22H2? This big a** thing looks horrendous.

944637619_.thumb.png.61ae0b66ff7c691ea2bcba5a05039c2b.png

UPD: I mean to get the pre-22h2 look, without turning the full compact mode on, like here:

2070144011_.png.12def4d709c899cb57a8ca1c3d07c452.png

I tried to do so using ViVeTool:

vivetool /disable /name:SV2Navpane

but apparently it doesn't seem to work anymore

UPD2: If someone's looking for a solution, the ViVeTool command actually works, you simply need to restart the whole system and not just explorer (also make sure you run it as admin, obviously). The tabs will remain and work flawlessly.

379020515_.thumb.png.458c09f850e8ccd23a8b791210cff947.png

Still though, it would be nice to have this feature in SAB.

Edited by barchee

On 10/21/2022 at 8:32 PM, mackid1993 said:

I think what Tihiy is saying is that the taskbar in StartAllBack will show the icon associated with the Window (it can be seen usually in the top left corner), not the app. For example, a PWA I run shows a slightly different icon when the app is open vs when the app is closed. When open the taskbar shows the icon one would see in the top right corner of the application window, when the app is closed it shows the slightly different app icon. The stock Win 11 taskbar doesn't do that but the SAB taskbar does. Start11 is a completely different (inferior) product that completely re-implements a rather buggy attempt at a taskbar that runs in an external process. What is nice about SAB is that the program is essentially injecting it's code into explorer.exe leading to less resource usage and better user experience.

So, what should I do? This issue is making me crazy.