delete Windows xp usser password through Windows 7/8/10

Sergiaws

Yesterday, I needed to create a new user in Windows xp. The thing is that the system put a password on all user accounts, and I don't know exactly how can I recover it. Maybe is it possible to recover it using safe mode, but that's so difficult for me. The computer has dual boot with Windows XP and Windows 7, so my question is, is it possible to see or remove the XP password using that Windows 7? If the answer is yes, how can I achieve it?

Not sure if possible through the Win7 bootup.

For the XP, have you tried to access the main administrator account instead of the actual user accounts?

XP has an administrator account that only later versions of Windows disabled by default and it should be present on a default install of XP.

On the username/password screen, don't select any user accounts but enter Administrator for the username.

Keep the password blank for the first attempt, if that doesn't work try Administrator as the password for the Administrator username.

If that gets you in, go to the Control Panel -> User Account -> Change Account and change the password for the user accounts you need to regain access to.

For XP you can also use just fine PassPass via grub4dos, as a matter of fact also on later 32 bit systems, it is the 64 bit versions that ahve specific patching patterns:

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=18588

Please note how this is a method to by-pass the password, not to recover the old one, but once in you will be able to create a new user and then change existing user passwords.

Since you are dual booting with 7, you should be able to use just fine from the 7 the good ol' WindowsGate:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161029183021/http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21204

If you have issues finding these (oldish) tools, just say so and I'll see how to provide you with a copy.

But you should be able to use (still from 7) the PEPassPass (i.e. the AutoIt version):

http://reboot.pro/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=533

jaclaz

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Presumably, if you can gain access to a system using a bypass, and the account has sufficient priveledges, you can create a new account with a known password in order to log in normally.

Yep, that is the idea.

Let's say you have an Administrator level account on the OS (with unknown password).

You login (via the by-pass) to that account (with empty password), then you can do any of these four:
1) change that same account password
2) change another account password
3) create a new account (and of course set its password)
4) do nothing on accounts and logout

The only thing you cannot do is recover/decode existing passwords (BTW it is usually possible but the procedure is complex and lengthy).

The way the by-pass is implemented in these tools is a small binary modification (patch) of a .dll, so, if you leave it patched, basically you can access any account without password, and it is of course recommended to un-patch the file as soon as you have done the whatever you had to do.

jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

if you leave it patched, basically you can access any account without password, and it is of course recommended to un-patch the file as soon as you have done the whatever you had to do.

Few days ago i was doing warranty repairs on a notebook - after finishing the hardware part i tried to check how it works with their existing Win7 install...

It was locked, nobody thought of providing me with a way to test (i hate it when they do this!), and the password hint said "none of your business"...

Obviously, i left it patched after i was done :P

I finally found the password and could access the system. However, my Wi-fy network is not working! I'll post about that on another topic so anyone searching in google about some networking problems in XP could find it.