Mouse Reliability Problems

Glenn9999

I basically ended up coming to ask the question that's pinned here, since I haven't seen anything good when I searched.  Is there such a thing as a reliable corded mouse that'll last longer than a year or so without having problems related to click functions?  I've run through two Logitech M100 in the last three years (right click not accurate, a third if you go back three more years), and am now on an Onn (Walmart house brand, that's another bad kettle of fish I could write a different topic on) corded mouse I pulled out of a pile of stuff that has an inaccurate left-click (especially seen on drag/drop).

So any real solutions to this and a suggestion on something that'll be a lot more reliable?  In other words, have the issues in that post been addressed to any significant degree?

I'd put my money on the old horse. This mouse has the balls (well one at least) to operate reliable after probably 20 years. Only disadvantage is the cleaning process, with has to be done sometimes when there is too much dust on the inner rolls. Hopefully the computer mice industry hasn't forgotten how to produce good products that last longer than a year!

Maus.png

It seems a lot of mice recently are just not built the same way as they used to. Sure there was always the possibility to wear down mouse buttons naturally, especially if you play a game a lot. Personally I've found that Microsoft Intellimouse branded and Basic Optical Mouse 1.0A seem to last the longest. Any that have the separate buttons, so not the Basic Optical Mouse 2.0. I want to add I only use optical USB mice and no ball mice (although I'm sure they are still fine) or any cordless or laser mouse variaties. A lot of the mice I see at stores like Logitech seem very flimsy. Another thing I notice about looking at mice in stores is that while there are multiple brands to pick from, they are all actually just made by Logitech.

I use HP VoodooDNA (full name is HP Laser Gaming Mouse with VoodooDNA) that was bought back in 2011. The right button requires stronger pressure when holding it, otherwise the contact gets lost so button up event is fired before it's physically released.

Unfortunately, I don't remember when exactly that started to occur. Pretty sure both left and right buttons were even for the first 3 years at least.

No issue described in the linked thread.

Edited by UCyborg

Well, JFYI, I just bought 2 (two) mice (USB) for 3.20 Euro, i.e. 1.60 Euro each, this just one year and a half after having bought two of them for the at the time much higher price of 2.99 each (same make/model[*]).

I could afford the projected expense of 1.99 Euro/year/machine (and actually both the old ones are still functioning just fine), so I expect that I will be able to afford easily the lower projected expense of 1.07 Euro/year/machine.

I have had in the last, what, 35 years many, many mice, many with "good" brand name such as Logitech or Microsoft, and with the exception of a single (balled) one coming bundled with a computer (an Epson, 486 Dx, circa 1995, the mouse itself is probably a Logitech) that is still going strong, they all died, be it one of the buttons or the laser or whatever, within 3-5 years of use, and they used to cost if I recall correctly, 15-20-25 Euro each.

jaclaz

[*] no brand/vague model, but same shape and exterior appearance,. from the same e-bay vendor