The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

17 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Excuse me, was that directed at me? You must have confused me with someone else.

OK, it was only to make you smile, but if it bothers you in any way, I prefer to delete it, it's done, and sorry UCyborg. Delete in your post too, please.

20 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Those adults have some other underlying issue. Can't blame it on games.

It's possible, that some have other issues, but in these times, it seems to me, almost all the young people are playing games... and that is not good for the future of the human species.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

...Those adults have some other underlying issue. Can't blame it on games.

Yes I think so addictive personality because when you start a game should be able to stop and when you can not that is a sign but not you from what you say.

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

OK, it was only to make you smile, but if it bothers you in any way, I prefer to delete it, it's done, and sorry UCyborg. Delete in your post too, please.

It's possible, that some have other issues, but in these times, it seems to me, almost all the young people are playing games... and that is not good for the future of the human species.

I used to own a play station 1 and 2, XBox 360 and nintendo but they are gone and I only have now Atari and my computers. I use to play into the morning but now I can't and when I start something I have a hard time stopping it and that is a sign so now I turn everything off at night and disable the internet in case while medicated I try to log on and talk mess.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:22 PM, msfntor said:

OK. Didn't think it was meant as a joke. Doesn't matter, I'm not mad.

23 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Yes I think so addictive personality because when you start a game should be able to stop and when you can not that is a sign but not you from what you say.

I love being able to STOP.

Funny, my parents considered me the addict. But now that I spend more time than ever behind computer at some job, that's better!? Gaming didn't leave me exhausted. I earn money, but what's the point?

Speaking of useless, how 'bout sports? On TV, they just won't shut up about Luka Dončić. Dončić this, Dončić that, blah, blah, blah...seriously, can no one else play basketball? How are they advancing society? All I see is few individuals earning absurd amounts of money. The world's backwards.

On absurd, founders of Outfit7 made one of the most silly games in existence, Talking Tom. They have shitload of money because of it.

6 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Speaking of useless ... seriously, ... How are they advancing society? All I see is few individuals earning absurd amounts of money. The world's backwards.

Exactly my thoughts...

9 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I'm not mad.

Ha cool, I was a little worried...thank you!:worship:

Daily amazing Native Americans

FmmeB8ZaEAMi4_2?format=jpg&name=small

NinaRicci Retweeted Native Red CloudMaȟpíya Lúta~Hińhan Wakangli @Native3rd

Jan 21

“Mankind is not the only animal that laughs, cries, thinks, feels and loves. The sooner we acknowledge that animals are emotional beings, the sooner we will cease destroying them and embrace them as our brothers and sisters.” - A.D. Williams

FnAL8zAX0AARSNA?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fmr1HI7aUAAFbeK?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by msfntor

On 1/21/2023 at 8:41 PM, XPerceniol said:

I used to own a play station 1 and 2, XBox 360 and nintendo but they are gone and I only have now Atari and my computers.

The only console that was ever at home was Game Boy, the original one - look at the specs! I remember Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and the game about the Smurfs. Same now (no consoles), only two computers. Dang it, thanks for the reminder, I should plug that laptop for a bit, these batteries self-discharge if left alone.

I played some games at friends / relatives on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Strange feeling, almost alien, thinking about those times now.

Edit: Wow, I forgot, I also played few games on Sony Ericsson K530i (the screen's really small). Before smartphones took over, before everyone walked around with them (smartphones) like zombies, when you could go out and the other person did not stare at the damn phone all the time!

But, holy moly, J2ME - Java 2 Micro Edition. It's a bit like DOS era for those devices, games' size was in kilobytes and looks like devs even had to compile (maybe not in traditional sense, not sure) each game for different devices. Remembering Age of Empires III Mobile, The Investigators and Alien Scum. I found JAR file of Age of Empires III (video - that music, it's actually a MIDI!). Played with J2ME Loader for a bit, there are also few emulators for PCs, eg. FreeJ2ME.

Edited by UCyborg

On 1/21/2023 at 10:18 AM, msfntor said:

"a cracking sound, music interrupted"?..

It's your system which is weak and losing power over time, cluttered? Give it more memory, better audio/video card, better processor, components, clean it often with CCleaner, brush...

It was interrupted when I tried to install the ancient DX9 (which the japs still use! ) , the bloody junk from 2000s.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

OK. Didn't think it was meant as a joke. Doesn't matter, I'm not mad.

I love being able to STOP.

Funny, my parents considered me the addict. But now that I spend more time than ever behind computer at some job, that's better!? Gaming didn't leave me exhausted. I earn money, but what's the point?

Speaking of useless, how 'bout sports? On TV, they just won't shut up about Luka Dončić. Dončić this, Dončić that, blah, blah, blah...seriously, can no one else play basketball? How are they advancing society? All I see is few individuals earning absurd amounts of money. The world's backwards.

On absurd, founders of Outfit7 made one of the most silly games in existence, Talking Tom. They have shitload of money because of it.

This all is so damn complicated, why do you need to stuff your head with it ? Any ways to give a flying (4 letter word) ? Just ignore and live for yourself, no ?

The last time I watched TV was during the fall of the wall. My mother used to watch TV all her life and now she is brain-dead. Scary future awaits you, if you don't stop.

19 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

The last time I watched TV was during the fall of the wall. My mother used to watch TV all her life and now she is brain-dead. Scary future awaits you, if you don't stop.

Sorry to hear about your mother...
I don't watch TV, except for mass sometimes..

Doctors’ representatives are pushing for the end of the mask requirement in practices

1/23/2023, 7:32:00 AM

The corona situation is easing – hospitals are seeing fewer intensive care patients, and restrictions are falling in many places. Medical associations are now demanding that employees in practices should no longer have to wear masks.

In Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg, employees in medical practices no longer have to wear mouth and nose protection from February.

Now the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (KBV) and the German General Practitioners Association as well as other industry representatives are calling for an end to the corona mask requirement in practices in the remaining federal states.

"It is logical to lift the mask requirement in doctor's offices and other medical facilities, as Bavaria has now announced.

The other federal states should follow this step," said KBV chairman Andreas Gassen to the editorial network Germany (RND).

»The pandemic situation is over.«

The deputy federal chair of the general practitioners' association, Nicola Buhlinger-Göpfarth, told the RND: "In our view, there is no need for the legislature to wear a mask in medical practices." The practices should decide this independently.

Last Thursday, Bavaria announced that it would lift the state mask requirement for employees in medical practices and other outpatient medical facilities from February 1st.

Baden-Württemberg followed suit on Friday.

Due to federal infection protection regulations, on the other hand, the FFP2 mask requirement will remain in clinics and care facilities, as well as for patients and visitors to medical practices - according to the current status until April 7th.

Federal Health Minister Karl Lauterbach (SPD) rejects a quick end to the mask requirement in the healthcare sector.

He justifies this with the protection of particularly vulnerable people.

Significantly fewer pandemic patients in hospitals

Meanwhile, a trend reversal is emerging in German hospitals in view of the wave of respiratory diseases and the workload of the staff.

Since the beginning of January, the number of corona patients in the intensive care units has “reduced from around 1,500 to less than 800 today – i.e. almost halved,” said the Vice President of the German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine (DIVI), Gernot Marx, the RND.

"Corona is no longer a problem in the intensive care units."

In addition, the number of daily new admissions is falling steadily.

This is a "very positive development," said Marx.

Now “the many postponed, plannable operations from December” could be made up for.

At the moment, the clinic staff "doesn't have to think every day about how we can still ensure patient care," said Marx.

According to the German Hospital Society (DKG), occupancy is also decreasing in the other wards.

"Significantly falling occupancy numbers" would be recorded for those who tested positive for the corona virus, said DGK CEO Gerald Gass to the RND.

The number of sick employees is also declining, “so that the personnel situation is slowly improving”.

col/dpa/AFP

Source: spiegel

Here: https://newsrnd.com/news/2023-01-23-corona-virus--doctors’-representatives-are-pushing-for-the-end-of-the-mask-requirement-in-practices.HylYycjsij.html

The Bubble Nebula – a Hubble Telescope mosaic

http://astrophoto.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/bubbleHST_NHO_crop-1800x1112.jpg

http://astrophoto.net/wp/2018/06/02/the-bubble-nebula-a-hubble-telescope-mosaic/

heic1608a.jpg

This image is from esahubble.org: https://esahubble.org/images/heic1608a/

This new NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope image, released to celebrate Hubble’s 26th year in orbit (in 2016), captures in stunning clarity what looks like a gigantic cosmic soap bubble. The object, known as the Bubble Nebula, is in fact a cloud of gas and dust illuminated by the brilliant star within it. The vivid new portrait of this dramatic scene wins the Bubble Nebula a place in the exclusive Hubble hall of fame, following an impressive lineage of Hubble anniversary images.

Twenty six years ago (in 2016), on 24 April 1990, the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope was launched into orbit aboard the space shuttle Discovery as the first space telescope of its kind. Every year, to commemorate this momentous day in space history, Hubble spends a modest portion of its observing time capturing a spectacular view of a specially chosen astronomical object.

This year’s anniversary object is the Bubble Nebula, also known as NGC 7635, which lies 8 000 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia. This object was first discovered by William Herschel in 1787 and this is not the first time it has caught Hubble’s eye. However, due to its very large size on the sky, previous Hubble images have only shown small sections of the nebula, providing a much less spectacular overall effect. Now, a mosaic of four images from Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) allows us to see the whole object in one picture for the first time.

This complete view of the Bubble Nebula allows us to fully appreciate the almost perfectly symmetrical shell which gives the nebula its name. This shell is the result of a powerful flow of gas — known as a stellar wind — from the bright star visible just to the left of centre in this image. The star, SAO 20575, is between ten and twenty times the mass of the Sun and the pressure created by its stellar wind forces the surrounding interstellar material outwards into this bubble-like form.

The giant molecular cloud that surrounds the star — glowing in the star’s intense ultraviolet radiation — tries to stop the expansion of the bubble. However, although the sphere already measures around ten light-years in diameter, it is still growing, owing to the constant pressure of the stellar wind — currently at more than 100 000 kilometres per hour!

Description (and more): https://esahubble.org/news/heic1608/

The magnificent starburst galaxy Messier 82

heic0604a.jpg

This mosaic image of the magnificent starburst galaxy, Messier 82 (M82) is the sharpest wide-angle view ever obtained of M82. It is a galaxy remarkable for its webs of shredded clouds and flame-like plumes of glowing hydrogen blasting out from its central regions where young stars are being born 10 times faster than they are inside in our Milky Way Galaxy.

Credit: NASA, ESA and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA). Acknowledgment: J. Gallagher (University of Wisconsin), M. Mountain (STScI) and P. Puxley (NSF).

Here: https://esahubble.org/images/heic0604a/