The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

Just got back and whilst being out in the fresh air and on the sidewalk is very helpful, I still deal with intrusive thoughts that are hard to fight. I'm still very much a work in progress and I know I have a long way to get back 100% or whatever I was at prior to illness I suffered last March. I still have my moments of weakness (both mentally and physically) but I refuse to allow them to keep me down and prevent me from my healing progress. Man do I wish there were just a delete button on the mind to rid myself on the negative thought processes that burden me. I need to at some point utilize cord removal techniques to separate myself and (truly) allow the past to stay in the past buried where it belongs and grow for the remainder of time left on this planet. That being said, whilst just burring the unpleasant past happenings isn't (necessarily)  the answer to beat what troubles me, I need to process what I can because a lot is long gone and I can't go back and change it and it serves me no good to keep reliving the past by walking down "memory lane". I still have moments of deep deep depression and anxiety, but what is worse is the Depersonalization-derealization disorder that I also endure and have since childhood. Speaking of which, I think way too much about childhood and the scars I still cary; but they make me and have shaped me into the person I know am and whilst I'm stronger in a lot of ways, I feel bogged down by them and it really is time to 'let go' and move on. 

I've been making positive changes and getting rid of some of the junk food(s) I used to rely and am starting to incorporating fresh fruits as a replacement. I find its better for the mind and body and spirit because we are what we eat and consuming potato chips and cookies into the body and expecting to be healthy is foolhardy. I've also started a b complex vitamin to help me to slowly come off of the of the medications I'm currently on.

spacer.pngspacer.png

As I say, I know, miracles don't happen anymore and nothing happens overnight, its gonna take dedication and I also need for save forgiveness for myself and be very realistic with my expectations. I was told by a girl that we need to remove ALL expectations to avoid disappointment, I don't feel this is the case as she was coming from darkness within herself and pretty severe alcoholism and I'm now clean and sober and it has to stay that way as I can never EVER touch even a drop of alcohol because that would lead to disaster. 

Ok, so today, no unrealistic expectations other then to feel better by using cognitive behavioral modifications to improve my struggles.

I do hope I made some sense, because sometimes I wonder with my crazy typing that I lose people from my mess.

Be well everyone.  

EDIT: Sorry for so many edits but I have to fix mistakes as I see them after posting - just how my mind works for some reason.

Edited by XPerceniol

Today has proven itself to be very difficult and challenging for me and I don't feel at my best, not enough to even post here. I've been spending much too much time ruminating over things I've no control over. I don't know. 

Anyways ... I struggled today pretty badly and was going to write in my journal at eclipse and they are down. Will write to K4sum1, I guess, but now I'm not up to it. Likely a glitch or I've been IP banned IDK ... I don't think I broke a rule, but never know. After all it is a tech forum and I'm posting about myself. I mean I wish I knew more, but I have limited knowledge regarding computes and am still learning.

EDIT: nevermind exlipse is back online but I'm exausted today to even write. 

We went on a road trip today and it was awful and I'm glad to be here in my plant room with my computers and I feel at ease. Being in public is a real stressful experience for me and people set me off and I feel quite down in the dumps at the moment, but it could be worse and I've no right to complain. Basically I can only take people in small doses nowadays.

I hope others here at MSFN are doing better than myself today. Good to see people are excited about this new browser.\

EDIT: I guess its not just the music thread; I was going to post a meditation video here in this thread and got the same error, unless MSFN has restricted me from posting youtube anymore. Guess this was one of those days when I should have pulled the blanket over my head and slept all day.

When trynig to post that meditation video I again get this error. 

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Edited by XPerceniol

On 1/28/2024 at 11:49 AM, XPerceniol said:

For some reason I'm unable to post in the music thread ... I get this.

Forbidden

?

Could be because they now have an AI that limits non-technical posts per user? Just my guess.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:09 PM, XPerceniol said:

EDIT: I guess its not just the music thread; I was going to post a meditation video here in this thread and got the same error, unless MSFN has restricted me from posting youtube anymore. Guess this was one of those days when I should have pulled the blanket over my head and slept all day.

When trynig to post that meditation video I again get this error. 

Forbidden

And this one looks like a completely different matter, could be a copyright issue. Youtube is heavily protected like github.

I think you're right - its a copyright issue because I'm able to post here in the café; but all is ok and I'm fine either way and understand if the former is the case. I mean I try to use the knowledge I have but I'm in no way as learned as much as the membership here in large part ... just glad to be a part of the community. :yes:

Edited by XPerceniol

5 Easy Steps to Stronger Immunity

Eat Mushrooms

This is the kind of fungi you want in your life! After all, mushrooms offer two types of B vitamins: Riboflavin (an antioxidant which encourages the immune system to function properly) and niacin (which bolsters the immune system by reducing inflammation in the lungs). Plus, this tasty meat substitute provides selenium, another antioxidant, and copper, an essential nutrient that helps the body produce red blood cells and maintain immunity.

One study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition discovered that cooked shiitake mushrooms—a dark colored, earthly-flavored mushroom that is used in traditional Chinese medicine—could enhance the immune system.

If you love stir-fry meals, try making this Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms with Ginger and Watercress. For a savory snack, whip up these Stuffed Mushrooms with Broccoli Rabe and Farro.

Consume Quercetin

A flavonoid (a colorful phytonutrient compound) found in numerous fruits and vegetables, research has been uncovering the multiple benefits of quercetin, including its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. One recent review published in the journal Food Science & Nutrition reported that quercetin was shown in both animal and lab studies to inhibit various viral infections—one being COVID.

Look for quercetin in plant foods, such as onions, shallots, fennel, red apples, grapes, berries, citrus fruits, leafy greens, green and black tea (OK, and even red wine!).

Get Your Vitamin D

When the days are shorter during the winter months, your body is likely lacking in the sunshine vitamin … which means your immunity could take a hit. According to one study published in the journal Nutrients, a research team from Belgium concluded that there’s an “indisputable relation between vitamin D and the immune system.” The Food Science & Nutrition review also noted that this fat-soluble vitamin (which the body naturally produces when the skin is exposed to sunlight) has been shown to reduce the risk of viral diseases.

Keep in mind that vitamin D can only be found in select foods, such as fatty fish (like salmon, tuna and mackerel, all of which are loaded with anti-inflammatory omega-3s), egg yolks and fortified beverages and cereals. While it’s highly unlikely to suffer from toxic levels of vitamin D (a 10-year study of more than 20,300 adults found that only one patient dealt with clinical toxicity), a vitamin D supplement can interact with certain medications, so check with your physician before taking the over-the-counter form.

Exercise

Sweating it out can actually help your immune system run smoothly. The National Institutes of Health’s Medline Plus lays out a few possible theories as to why regular exercise may be an effective way to support immunity.

It’s been speculated that working out may aid the lungs and airways by flushing out bacteria. It can also cause positive changes in antibody levels and white blood cell count (these cells belong to the immune system to help fight infection), and may help the body ward off bacterial growth.

It’s no secret that physical activity has the ability to lower stress hormones, and studies indicate that chronic stress can lead to elevated inflammation levels, ultimately wreaking havoc on immune function. So whether you prefer stepping onto the yoga mat or bouncing around in a HIIT workout, your sweat session can make you stronger—both on the outside and inside.

Say “Om”

And speaking of ways to lower cortisol levels, better known as the stress hormone, consider becoming more mindful. A comprehensive review published in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences found possible links between mindfulness meditation and certain markers connected with inflammation and cell-mediated immunity (a type of immune response that does not involve antibodies).

Not sure where to begin? Try one of these guided meditations that may help you drift off to sleep faster—a double whammy since catching quality shut-eye is another proven immune booster!

Handwriting Strengthens Brain Connections and Boosts Learning More Than Tapping on a Keyboard

By

Andy Corbley

-

Jan 26, 2024

Photo by lilartsy

In an ever more digital world, pen and paper are increasingly getting replaced with screens and keyboards in classrooms. Now, a new study has investigated neural networks in the brain during hand and typewriting and showed that connectivity between different brain regions is more elaborate when letters are formed by hand.

This improved brain connectivity, which is crucial to memory building and information encoding, may indicate that writing by hand supports learning.

As digital devices progressively replace pen and paper, taking notes by hand is becoming increasingly uncommon in schools and universities. Using a keyboard is recommended because it’s often faster than writing by hand. However, the latter has been found to improve spelling accuracy and memory recall, if for no other reason than that pen and paper is cut off from the security of autocorrect features.

To find out if the process of forming letters by hand resulted in greater brain connectivity, researchers in Norway investigated the underlying neural networks involved in both modes of writing.

“We show that when writing by hand, brain connectivity patterns are far more elaborate than when typewriting on a keyboard,” said Prof Audrey van der Meer, a brain researcher at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology and co-author of the study published in Frontiers in Psychology.

“Such widespread brain connectivity is known to be crucial for memory formation and for encoding new information and, therefore, is beneficial for learning.”

One of the trial participants – credit, Norwegian University of Science and Technology – via SWNS

The researchers collected EEG data from 36 university students who were repeatedly prompted to either write or type a word that appeared on a screen. When writing, they used a digital pen to write in cursive directly on a touchscreen.

When typing they used a single finger to press keys on a keyboard. High-density EEGs, which measure electrical activity in the brain using 256 small sensors sewn in a net and placed over the head, were recorded for five seconds for every prompt.

Connectivity of different brain regions increased when participants wrote by hand, but not when they typed.

BTW ... I didn't write those articles and I usually don't do that but I found them interesting. 

Gonna power-down tonight and hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

I hope everybody had a good day.

Good night MSFN

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or are the forums rather inefficient communication medium? I feel like almost every time I post something on another forum with much more traffic, my topic immediately gets left behind. Sometimes you may be lucky to get a response if the right person just logged in at the right time, but generally, the forums look like a complete mess with topics popping up all the time.