MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

I backported the latest version of PCSX2, the PS2 emulator, to Windows XP

On 10/14/2020 at 1:47 AM, RainyShadow said:

Too bad that it requires SSE2.

I have some 0.9.x builds that complain about it, but still manage to run somehow. Yours straight crashes at launch.

Would it even run at a playable speed on such hardware, though? You're looking at a pre-2004 CPU here pretty much, I might be wrong when paired with a good graphics card but I imagine more recent versions of PCSX2 are more accurate - thus requiring more powerful hardware to run the same content? I might be wrong, I've seldom if ever used it (though have heard negative opinions about its codebase, lol).

On a side note, anyone tested this under 64-bit Windows XP, or (if native 64-bit is possible) able to compile it for 64-bit? Would be an interesting thing to do.

10 hours ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

Would it even run at a playable speed on such hardware, though? You're looking at a pre-2004 CPU here pretty much, I might be wrong when paired with a good graphics card but I imagine more recent versions of PCSX2 are more accurate - thus requiring more powerful hardware to run the same content? I might be wrong, I've seldom if ever used it (though have heard negative opinions about its codebase, lol).

On a side note, anyone tested this under 64-bit Windows XP, or (if native 64-bit is possible) able to compile it for 64-bit? Would be an interesting thing to do.

I haven't yet, but it should run perfectly fine under XP x64 edition. Also, the emulator can't be completely compiled for 64-bit platforms, however, i've published a guide on how to compile certain components for 64-bit platforms, as some parts can successfully be compiled in 64 bits. here it is: https://github.com/blueclouds8666/pcsx2_XP/blob/master/COMPILE-TESTING.md

The original PCSX2 has neither binaries published for 64-bits, because they see no improvement with current code and it also gives more troubles than usual

I've done a couple more advancements towards Windows XP. In special, i was interested on making the DirectX 11 renderer work under XP. It is true there is no native DirectX 11 for Windows XP, but there have been attempts in the past to partially implement it on the system, unofficially of course.

Most didn't seem to work in my context, but there was one that caught my attention and really helped me to partly achieve what i wanted. It is the WineD3D wrapper library, that converts DX11 calls to OGL. Obviously with a performance impact and with occassional bugs, but is interesting nonetheless. Down below you can see a screenshot of the DX11 renderer running with WineD3D. There's a bug with the bios colors but most game runs without any bug at all. I could find about this thanks to posts of fellow MSFN members, so i discovered XomPie's WineD3D libraries, the only ones i could make work. If you are any interested on trying this by yourself, all the information related has been posted on github: https://github.com/blueclouds8666/pcsx2_XP/issues/2

Безымянный.jpg

Edited by blueclouds8666
  • Upvote 1

Surely interesting find, and extremely impressive! You should show off a few pieces of homebrew and commercial games running in DX11 mode somewhere... if only a YouTube alternative existed that wasn't full of 'le redditors trying to be cool by mocking 2008 YouTube' or literal fascists/communists.

Edited by Koishi Komeiji