Read GPT hard disk on Windows XP

Cixert

11 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, but that card on eBay doesn't have two internal SATA ports on the card, which is what I want.
One of them is an external port.

Hmmm :dubbio::

Chipset: VIA VT6421a.

Interface: 3 x Serial ATA ports (2 internal, 1 external) ,1 Ultra ATA / IDE port

Supports SATA 1.0, 1.1 , and 2.0.

Operating systems supported: Windows XP & Windows Vista.

3 ports total - 1 external = 2 ports internal (and actually from the photo you can see those two internal connectors, the difference is that they are not one next to the other)

I would describe it as "similar, but with an additional e-sata port" ;), but you are right that the stated compatibility is only for XP and Vista (though probably it can still work with the generic VT6421 drivers also in Win9x).

jaclaz

@Dave-H

It's really strange what happened for your two drives. I don't have an answer for it.

To narrow down the number of items to examine, I can only repeat the previously suggested test (hoping this time to explain it better) that does not involve the asmedia card:

- clone the system disk with XP (or install XP from scratch) to a spare disk;

- boot XP from that disk (eventually you can insert the drive in the caddy);

- in Device Manager, after properly editing the asahci32.inf file (I can send it to you if necessary), install the asahci32.sys v2.0.3.1 driver for the intel sata controller to replace the existing one (its hardware ID begins with PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_XXXX&CC_0106);

- restart the system and, if it boots correctly, connect one of the disks to the internal sata port on the motherboard;

- start copying the files to the disk via explorer.exe and then run the test with chkdsk.

I think that version of the asmedia driver may work successfully on your intel system as well.

32 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Hmmm :dubbio::

3 ports total - 1 external = 2 ports internal (and actually from the photo you can see those two internal connectors, the difference is that they are not one next to the other)

I would describe it as "similar, but with an additional e-sata port" ;), but you are right that the stated compatibility is only for XP and Vista (though probably it can still work with the generic VT6421 drivers also in Win9x).

jaclaz

Oops, yes I must be going blind, it has indeed got two internal SATA ports!
:blushing:
If the card I've ordered is successful, I might well buy that one as a spare!
Thanks for the heads-up.
:yes:

And searching for ASM061, I found this (didn't know that such small ones existed, 27mmx30mm or so):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404735703284

AND (allegedly) compatible with:

Windows® 10/8/7 (32 / 64 bit) / Vista / Server 2003 / XP / 2000 Linux

Mini PCIE, I know, still nice to know these exist.

Back to topic, this is yet another (tiny) one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303881951057

with full and half height brackets, with drivers back to XP.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

AND (allegedly) compatible with:

Windows® 10/8/7 (32 / 64 bit) / Vista / Server 2003 / XP / 2000 Linux

jaclaz

It works with Vista x64, x86, I checked myself. Though, it can't boot from it. I have a classic BIOS from 2009 (without films and games in it).

2 hours ago, Andalu said:

@Dave-H

It's really strange what happened for your two drives. I don't have an answer for it.

To narrow down the number of items to examine, I can only repeat the previously suggested test (hoping this time to explain it better) that does not involve the asmedia card:

- clone the system disk with XP (or install XP from scratch) to a spare disk;

- boot XP from that disk (eventually you can insert the drive in the caddy);

- in Device Manager, after properly editing the asahci32.inf file (I can send it to you if necessary), install the asahci32.sys v2.0.3.1 driver for the intel sata controller to replace the existing one (its hardware ID begins with PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_XXXX&CC_0106);

- restart the system and, if it boots correctly, connect one of the disks to the internal sata port on the motherboard;

- start copying the files to the disk via explorer.exe and then run the test with chkdsk.

I think that version of the asmedia driver may work successfully on your intel system as well.

Thanks @Andalu !

Sorry, I did understand your suggestion before, it just seemed a bit of a long-winded thing to have to do.
You're saying that I should use the Asmedia driver on the on-board Intel SATA ports?
As the drives all work fine connected to them as they are, I guess this is just to determine whether the problem is with the Asmedia card itself or with its drivers?
As I said, I've now installed a different Asmedia driver for the card, both on XP and 10, and it made no difference on either.
That would seem to indicate that it must be the card, it just 'doesn't like' those disks for some reason.
I made the 500GB disk as much like the 3TB disk as possible, making it a GPT disk, putting a single primary NTFS partition on it, and it's even a disk from the same Seagate Barracuda series as the 3TB disk. The two disks couldn't have been any more similar, apart from the capacity.
The 500GB disk produces constant controller errors on writing (not on reading it seems) the 3TB disk doesn't.
Apart from the 500GB disk being faulty, which I'm pretty confident that it isn't, I can think of no explanation for that at all.
:dubbio:
Anyway, I don't want to actually use the 500GB disk, so it's not really a problem.
The important thing is that the 3TB disk works properly, but I just don't like 'unexplained' problems like that!
:yes:

@Dave-H

This may be another test to try: since in Windows 10 you do not need to install the asmedia driver for the asmedia card because the microsoft one is enough, if no errors are detected for your drives under 3 TB, the asmedia driver may be the culprit.

My other suggestion may seem a bit long to apply, but it only takes time to clone the XP disk, depending on the size of the drive.
Once you boot the newly cloned XP disk, installing the asahci32.sys driver v2.0.3.1 with the modified .inf file for your motherboard's sata controller is simple and requires only one or two reboots. This is to exclude the possibility that the errors detected on your disks may depend on the asmedia card.

Edited by Andalu

Thanks again @Andalu and @jaclaz !

I'll say straight away that the following is now off-topic, as it's nothing directly to do with using a GPT disk in Windows XP.
It has come about because of trying to do this, though.
As a moderator I should set an example of good forum discipline of course, but I hope you will indulge me.
Should it lead to a lengthy off-topic discussion, I will break it off into a new thread.

As I said, the Syba card arrived today.
I put it in the machine in place of the Silicon Image eSATA card I've been using for many years, and connected the internal archive drive and the Blu-ray drive to it.
My first disappointment was that although both devices were apparently detected correctly, there was still no sign of the Blu-ray drive being available as a boot device in the BIOS.
That I can live with, but there were two far more serious problems.

The first, and most serious, was that the machine would no longer boot!
It showed the BIOS screens of the two cards, first the Syba one, then the Asmedia one, and then just hung and won't go any further.
If I removed the Asmedia card, it booted fine!
If I put the Silicon Image PCI-E card in place of the Asmedia card, it boots fine.
It won't boot with the Asmedia card and the Syba card in place, though.
:(
I've tried moving the Syba card to different PCI slots, and it makes no difference, the motherboard just hangs if both it and the Asmedia card are present.

I then did boot up without the Asmedia card in place, and installed the Syba drivers for XP, which worked fine.
I then went into Windows 10 and that found a driver and it worked fine.
I then tried to go into Windows 98, and it wouldn't boot.
It goes past the splash screen, but then instead of going to the desktop, it just sits there on a flashing cursor and then reboots.
It will go into Safe Mode, and I used that to remove the old Silicon Image card from Device Manager, as I thought that might be causing the problem.
No difference, it still reboots instead of loading the desktop.

So, all in all, a bit of a disaster today!
I've wasted quite a bit of money if I can't use that Syba card, but I didn't anticipate any of this of course.

Just to add insult to injury, my Windows XP is now unactivated because I changed the hardware!
I've put everything back as it was before, and it's still unactivated.

Activation over the internet no longer works of course!
:no:
Oh dear.

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

It showed the BIOS screens of the two cards, first the Syba one, then the Asmedia one, and then just hung and won't go any further.

Enter the BIOS, Switch off "Attempt to fix sporadic PCI errors" , or whatever they call it in your BIOS. It helped me when my sound card was conflicting with my LAN card. It too hanged up on the BIOS title screen.

26 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Just to add insult to injury, my Windows XP is now unactivated because I changed the hardware!
I've put everything back as it was before, and it's still unactivated.

Activation over the internet no longer works of course!
:no:
Oh dear.

I believe LegacyUpdate has an option to activate XP with a legit product key

https://legacyupdate.net/

https://legacyupdate.net/faq/security