[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, I made the same change on AsusTPApi.dll.

The error is now that FlsFree can't be found in KERNEL33.DLL.

I guess that function isn't in the xompie version either?
:dubbio:

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I made the same change on AsusTPApi.dll.

The error is now that FlsFree can't be found in KERNEL33.DLL.

I guess that function isn't in the xompie version either?

Nope. What a shame, because XP x64 and Server 2003 actually do have it.

Another - different - approach.

This driver here:

http://dl.drp.su/driverpacks/repack/Touchpad_Elan/Elan/Allx86/Gigabyte_nb/10.5.2.0/Elan-Allx86-Gigabyte_nb-10.5.2.0-drp.zip

Contains - besides the "usual" drivers also a DELL :w00t: touchpad utility that seemingly runs under XP.
Actually the tool is marked Dell, but it is a re-branded Elantech.
The driver has an entry for ETD0105.

Of course no idea if this will work "better" or "at all", but at least runs on my XP and it tries to access the "right" Registry parhs.

jaclaz

@win32

Yes, that is a pity, but thanks very much for the suggestions, this is teaching me something new every day!
I may re-visit the option of trying to get just the driver and settings part of Smart Gesture working, ignoring the control panel, but I'll try the driver that @jaclaz mentions first.
I'm beginning to think that we will never find a driver that just works as it is, but I haven't quite given up all hope yet!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

I tried that Dell driver, with pretty much the same result as with the others.

The Dell control panel appears to work, but changing any settings on it does not "stick", when I go back to the page again the settings have reverted.

It doesn't seem to be changing the relevant registry settings.

:(

37 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I tried that Dell driver, with pretty much the same result as with the others.

The Dell control panel appears to work, but changing any settings on it does not "stick", when I go back to the page again the settings have reverted.

It doesn't seem to be changing the relevant registry settings.

Try checking it with Regmon to see what it actually does.

Could it be an issue with Registry permissions?

jaclaz

I didn't think that registry permissions were an issue with XP?

The Dell control panel is certainly accessing the registry, and actually appears as ETDCtrl.exe, which would bear out that it's just a Dell "skinned" version of the Elan control panel.
It's doing a lot of "QueryValue" entries, but not "SetValue" entries, except on the "SmartPadDisplay" key, nothing on the "SmartPad" key.

I'm still thinking that the device entry on the "Elan" tab on the mouse control applet should say something other than "Standard PS/2 Mouse".
Surely it should say "Elan Smart Pad" or something like that. I can't help but think that the driver still isn't working because it's misidentifying the hardware.

Edited by Dave-H

Sure it does (on smartpad I mean).

It is very probable that the driver - for whatever reasons - is not installed or not started (or both)[1]

i have no way to go "deeper", but from the driver package (expanded in a directory) if I run DellTpad.exe (and not ETDctrl.exe which is also present), depending on what setting I try to change I can see it accessing both 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\Smartpad

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Elantech\Smartpad

Besides

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\DeviceInformation

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\OtherSetting

jaclaz

[1] maybe trying to reinstall after having modified the .inf?:

[ELAN.Mfg]

%PS2.ELANDeviceDesc%         = ETD0105_Inst, *ETD0105                                ; Image Sensor

adding a line:

%PS2.ELANDeviceDesc%         = ETD0105_Inst, *ETD0108                                ; Image Sensor

Also try modfying the ETD.infdrp and use dpinst.exe to install.

OK, I will try the INF mod and report back.

The Regmon log is attached.

I'm not sure why the entries for RapportMgmtServ are there at the bottom, it was supposed to be filtered to only show the ETDCtrl.exe entries.

Regmon.log

Neither of the INF mods seemed to make any difference.
DriverView shows ETD.sys loaded and apparently OK.

Incidentally, ETDCtrl.exe is running from boot, from the registry "run" key.
I guess that's normal behaviour.

Attached is the INF file from the Asus driver on Windows 8.1, in case it provides any clues.

AsusSmartGesture8.1.inf

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

I tried an experiment seeing if I could update the mouse driver in Device Manager.
I pointed it at the INF file in the folder where the driver files were unpacked, and something very odd happened!
I wasn't offered any choice of drivers, it immediately installed something called "Finger Sensing Pad", by a company called Sentelic.
This has installed another folder in Program Files called "FSP", containing a lot of dll files and a program called "FspUip.exe" which appears to be the control panel.
If I run it, no window appears. The program runs for about five seconds in Task Manager, and then closes.
I am at a complete loss to see where this program has come from, there is no mention of it in the INF file we've been working with, it doesn't seem to be referenced in any of the other files in the installation folder either!
The Elan tab is still there in the mouse properties, but there is now no device listed.
EDIT:
OK, I found where it came from, there were two INF files in my INF folder with two different versions of this software.
I thought if you asked the system to look for a driver in a particular folder that was the only place it would look, but it seems it looked in the whole INF folder too!
I have no idea why those files were there, but they're not there any more!

Edited by Dave-H

Yep, I guess that doing all these tests managed to leave behind some "cruft".

It can also be that the ETD.sys is loaded but not "connected" to any hardware, try looking for it in device manager, or possibly try using devcon:

https://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

get it from here:

It would be the case to thoroughly examine the system and uninstall/delete anything that may be connected with the touchpad or maye even better, and as it was already suggested earlier, to make a (temporary) new, fresh install of XP.

jaclaz

Hi again.
I spent a long time yesterday trying other drivers. Version 7 (7.0.6.4) seemed to be the best bet as it's a much simpler installation, without all those video files for the Elan control panel.
That version has what I assume is a much simpler control panel, which does work although it only shows the button options, which don't actually work.
It appears to write all its registry entries correctly, although the settings entries seem to be with the service entries on this version (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Elantech\SmartPad), not under the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad key.

Sorry to say that I am really starting to lose enthusiasm for this now. I actually believe that the touchpad has been designed only to work with the Asus software, which cannot be made to work on XP.
Even if by some remote chance a workaround was found (I only want to disable "tap to click", I couldn't care less about anything else!) there is still the graphics driver issue as well.
That entry in the Elan tab on the mouse properties, where it's always identified just as a "Standard PS/2 Mouse" rather than as an Elan touchpad, is the killer I think. The driver doesn't know what it is, and therefore can't talk to it. No amount of editing of the INF files seems to ever change that with any driver. It either says that, or there is no device displayed at all.
I'm sorry, but I really don't think that this would be any different on a new installation of XP, because it's not actually a problem with the operating system, it's a problem with the hardware.
The fact that the drivers don't work on Windows 8.1 either, in fact doing exactly the same thing as they do on XP, would seem to prove this to me.

This is probably heresy, but what I'm thinking of doing now is to "upgrade" the XP installation to Vista. :ph34r:
That should do an update without me having to reinstall everything, unlike a Windows 7 update.
Having looked in the files for Asus Smart Gesture with CFF Explorer, it does look as if it will run OK on Vista, and I'm hopeful of finding a compatible graphics driver too.
Sorry to be defeatist after all the help I've been given.

I think you haven't (yet) done any of the checkings suggested, and possibly - or at least it seems so - your current installation is far too "botched" by the various installs that you cannot (seriously) state anything definitive about the status of the driver.

At least - before giving up - you could try to:

1) go to device manager
2) find the actual hardware involved
3) try to update the driver (this one), possibly expand it to a new directory:

using the modified .inf as per:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1180077

directly from device manager, it should throw a fit/error or actually connect it to the ETD.SYS.

If it does install *something else* find where it comes form, delete it and repeat.

I understand how it is difficult to follow *vague* hints, but I think you tried (completely/exactly) more or less 1/3 of what was suggested (by me and other willing members), of course there are no problems :) if you feel it is time to give up, sad as it might be :( .

jaclaz