[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Thanks @jaclaz, but I have done all this, several times!
There is no error in Device Manager, the device shows as being installed and "working properly" with almost all the drivers I've tried.
It appears, I assume correctly, as an "Elan PS/2 Port Smart-Pad", which is what it is.
All the driver files are present and correct when checked under the Driver Details" button, including ETD.sys.
The problem isn't that the driver isn't installing, it's that the driver's control panel doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the hardware, so it's impossible to change any settings, even by directly editing them in the registry. Nothing "sticks", it just reverts back to what it was before.
The Elan tab on the Mouse Properties shows a device, which is "Standard PS/2 Mouse", on the PS/2 port, and it is enabled.
However, it should surely be showing that it's a "Elan PS/2 Port Smart-Pad" or something very similar. As it's not recognising it as such, it's not offering any settings as as it presumably thinks that it's a device which doesn't support them.
No amount of editing the installation INF files seems to change that behaviour, with any of the drivers.
Where it's getting the string "Standard PS/2 Mouse" from is a bit of a mystery, as that string does not appear anywhere in the registry, or in any of the INF files in the INF folder.
:dubbio:

10 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Where it's getting the string "Standard PS/2 Mouse" from is a bit of a mystery, as that string does not appear anywhere in the registry, or in any of the INF files in the INF folder.

That is actually the *only* thing that is clear enough IMHO:

[ETD0105_Inst]
Include=msmouse.inf
Needs=PS2_Inst

Even if I cannot do further testing, the DELL touchpad utility seemingly works here, meaning that it actually attempts to connect to the Registry, actually reads and saves settings in the "right" places, the file is called (and remains called) DellTpad.exe, in the given driver folder, it is 5.728.552 bytes in size and I cannot imagine that *any* install will rename it to ETDCtrl.exe (which also exist in that folder and that is 1.994.536 bytes in size).

The point remains if/when the actual driver reads the Registry settings (and which ones) and this can only be determined - maybe - by tracing its behaviour with regmon or similar, and - even if it is hard to use this adverb in this context - logically this applies to the ETD.sys which is in the same driver package, i.e. version 10.0.0.20.

jaclaz

OK, I'm willing to carry on and do anything you (and the others who have kindly helped with this) think is necessary, up to, but not including, installing a complete new copy of Windows XP!
If I'm going to be installing any operating systems, it won't be XP again I'm afraid. I'm sorry I just don't believe that even after doing that, the behaviour will be any different. There is no fundamental OS compatibility problem as far as I can see, and my system is as clear of any previous mouse driver remnants as it can be as far as I can tell.
I'm surprised to hear you say that I've only done about a third of what has been suggested. What have I missed, apart from installing a new copy of the operating system, which I've always said that I don't want to do?

Do you think that the version 10.5.2.0 of the driver is the one to use, which we were using before, rather than any of the earlier ones?
It is the latest 32 bit one that I've found for XP, all the 11.x versions seem to be incompatible with XP.

Naah, don't worry, noone is accusing you of doing (or failing to do) anything :).

As said I understand how each and every suggestion here - expecially mines - are more *semi-random* thoughts than real, exact advice, and as such are difficult to follow.

The only one I provided with some *exact* data/behaviour for *some reasons* didn't pass through or was botched by *something else*.

I asked you to confirm the behaviour of a specific file, DellTpad.exe, and *for whatever reasons* you ended up runnning and tracing ETDctrl.exe (which again I doubt is the same file, misteriously renamed by the install).

The key point - completely speculative BTW - is that the ASUS driver .inf file for laters systems uses the same entry/install for BOTH ETD0105 and ETD108, so logically an ELAN driver which "covers" ETD105 might also work for ETD108 while anyone without support for ETD105 is unlikely to support ETD108.

jaclaz 

When I ran DellTpad.exe, and monitored the output of RegMon, a lot of ETDctrl entries appeared.
I took that to mean that DellTpad was actually running ETDctrl, and was just a display interface for it, replacing the Elan interface which would normally be used.
I can't think of any other explanation for it.

Anyway, if we are to carry on, should I use that Dell 10.5.2.0 driver again and forget about the others I've been experimenting with?

I found a 32 bit version of 11.4.1.6 here -
https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds031990

This, unlike all the other drivers, doesn't just install a non-functional version of the driver.
Instead, on both XP and 8.1, if I try to install it, it puts up a message saying -
"The driver version doesn't suit this Touch-Pad. Please check the device in system and install the suitable driver."

This is the first time I've seen any of these drivers actually saying that it's not suitable for the hardware.
Now, whether a "Touch-Pad" and a "Smart-Pad" are the same or physically different things I don't know.
My device ID says it's a Smart Pad, so that may be why this driver isn't installing.

:)

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

When I ran DellTpad.exe, and monitored the output of RegMon, a lot of ETDctrl entries appeared.
I took that to mean that DellTpad was actually running ETDctrl, and was just a display interface for it, replacing the Elan interface which would normally be used.
I can't think of any other explanation for it.

That is part of what I find "queer", maybe it is simply a difference in your setup (with the driver and all the other files installed) and my test (without them).

Here in Regmon, set to monitor only DellT*,* and excluding  explorer.exe it looks like it accesses the Registry directly., or it is possble that the EDTctrl.exe running in the background (automatically started at boot) makes a difference.

I am attaching a regmon.log of what I see here. (BTW for *some* reasons using the DellTpad.exe automatically, sometimes, changes the settings for the external USB mouse swapping buttons)

Still what needs to be traced on your system is the actual ETD.SYS, to see if it accesses the Registry to "read" the settings.

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I found a 32 bit version of 11.4.1.6 here -
https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds031990

This, unlike all the other drivers, doesn't just install a non-functional version of the driver.
Instead, on both XP and 8.1, if I try to install it, it puts up a message saying -
"The driver version doesn't suit this Touch-Pad. Please check the device in system and install the suitable driver."

This is the first time I've seen any of these drivers actually saying that it's not suitable for the hardware.
Now, whether a "Touch-Pad" and a "Smart-Pad" are the same or physically different things I don't know.
My device ID says it's a Smart Pad, so that may be why this driver isn't installing.

That surely looks like another promising path.

BUT:

1) the driver is (CFF explorer) Major/Minor 6/1
2) in the ,inf the hardware ID's are different (not any ETD01xx)

Maybe there is some driver *near* version still XP compatible AND with the right hardware ID, but it is really a huge mess. :(

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Anyway, if we are to carry on, should I use that Dell 10.5.2.0 driver again and forget about the others I've been experimenting with? :)

I don't know, however that ETD.sys driver is 10.0.0.20 (169.256 byte), maybe all this time we were talking of two different files? :dubbio:

jaclaz

RegmonDellTpad.log

I noticed a while ago that the versions of the files don't match the quoted versions of the driver, and I'm going by the version quoted in the INF file, not the name of the installation file, which could be wrong of course. As you say, the version of ETD.sys in the 10.5.2.0 driver is 10.0.0.20, and the version of ETDCtrl.exe is 10.0.0.9!
I guess that doesn't matter.
I'm not surprised to hear you say that the files in 11.4.1.6 need at least Windows 7.
I didn't actually think it would install on XP, as I don't think any of the 11.x versions will, but I thought it might install on 8.1, just as a test, because I've yet to see one of these drivers actually working properly. If were possible to get a version working properly on 8.1 with the same hardware, that could be very valuable for comparison purposes.
Unfortunately, all the ones I've tried on 8.1 still don't work, because I don't think they are identifying the hardware correctly, or possibly they are just not compatible with it.
I will reinstall 10.5.2.0 on XP and forget about all the other versions, and we can take it from there.
:yes:

Well here's some important information!
After installing the driver I ran ETDDeviceInformation.exe again, and this time I ticked the "Setupapi Log" option.
Attached is the relevant section of the output.
I think the critical line is "Selecting best compatible driver failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device."
This was using an unmodified INF file.
SetupAPI.log

Yep, maybe it is important, maybe it is not, cannot say.

I find more interesting that *somehow* it decided to install the driver as the "generic" ETD0101.

Now we have something to compare with trying again but with the ,inf (actually I believe both the .inf and the .infdrp) modified to use the ETD0105 with a hardware id of ETD0108.

Anyway, only to state the contrary of what I just said, the actual ETD.sys version 10.0.0.20 has - as seen in CFF explorer - Major/Minor 6/1, so either:

1) the setting is incorrect (and one could try to set it to 5/1)
2) that setting is ignored/irrelevant

And to further complicate the matter I found here (the file on sendspace version 11.8.19.3 is MIA, but the one version 11.8.20.3 on Softpedia is still there)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/installing-updated-elan-track-pad-drivers-for-y510p.751866/

some (I am afraid rather indirect) evidence that - at least these Toshiba drivers - are XP compatible, but it is not at all clear (I don't think they can work as they have completely different hardware ID in the .inf, still the Toshiba touchpad has Major/Minor 4/0 and is .NET :w00t:)

As I said it is a mess. :(

jaclaz

Interesting about ETD.sys.
I've checked the versions in version 7 and 8 of the software (there doesn't seem to be a version 9), and the ETD.sys versions in both of them are recorded as being Major/Minor 6/1 by CFF as well!
Very strange, as they are definitely supposed to be XP compatible.

Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver with the INF files modified as you detailed earlier.
Here's the setup log. It has recognised and used the added 0108 entry by the look of it, but the end result seems to have been the same.
:(
SetupAPI2.log

I thin we need some more (better) opinions on this matter. (cdob, where are you?)

I am starting to believe that the .sys having 6/0 or 6/1 in the optional header means that it is not XP compatible, and that the beginning on the .inf where XP is stated is misleading and a remnant of previous drivers/versions.

It is "queer" as the OS should throw a fit instead of installing such a .sys. 

I found a 10.0.0.24 where the DellTpad.exe is 10.0.0.3 and the major/minor is 5/2 :w00t:

http://freedriver.org/drivers/notebook.php?n_firm=Asus&driver=007623.rar&n_model=K46CM

As said earlier, it is a big, huge mess. :blink:

On the other hand, I found on microsoft update:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=touchpad elan

a couple of ELAN Dell Drivers version 0.0.0.0. dated 12/31/1899 :whistle:(no they do not apply directly to this case as they are "Vista/7/8/8.1/10" and duly marked by MS as "Windows 10 and later drivers" :dubbio:), that should tell us something about the reliability of versions, dates and compatibility one can find.

jaclaz

As a side note, there is an "unified" Samsung driver (allegedly) for XP, with .sys version 10.0.0.100 that has as well 6/1;

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Elantech/Samsung-RV515-Elantech-Synaptics-Touchpad-Driver-4100-for-XP.shtml

and an earlier one

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Elantech/Samsung-NP530U3C-A05US-Elantech-Touchpad-Driver-3900-for-XP.shtml

with .sys version 10.0.0.72, also 6/1.

Now the (good?) news.

This one 7.0.5.4 has at least (the major/minor subsystem 5/1)

https://www.hwdrivers.com/drivers/012725

And here is definitely an XP driver (DELL) version 7.0.4.9

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=mhw9f&oscode=ww1&productcode=inspiron-mini10&lwp=rt

that has as well the major/minor subsystem  5/1

7.0.5.5:

https://drivers.eu/m8N2j

is still subsystem 5/1

7.0.5.8 (.sys) or 7.0.5.9:

https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/13154/

has (already) subsystem 6/0

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

It certainly is a terrible mess.
Trawling around looking for drivers I've found many forum posts complaining about Elan drivers, with many people really wishing that their machines had Synaptics touchpads instead!
Apparently Synaptics drivers are much better.

Anyway, I tried version 7.0.5.5, with interesting results.
I didn't modify the INF file at all (which is very bare in the device list section compared with the others) and the driver installed OK, but the touchpad is completely dead!
It appears in Device Manager as an "Elan PS/2 Port Input Device", and says it's working properly (which it obviously isn't!)
Interestingly, the tab in the Mouse Properties is now labelled "Elan Smart-Pad" rather than just "Elan" as with the other drivers.
The Elan control panel still only shows the mouse button settings, but unlike with the other driver versions they can now be changed and are actually remembered, which they weren't before.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Next test. :dubbio:

Use the 10.0.0.20, (with the modified .inf with the ETD0108 added) BUT try editing the .sys with CFF explorer so that the MajorSubsystemVersion to 5.

To recap, this 7.0.5.5 version has;

MajorOperatingSystemVersion:0006
MinorOperatingSystemVersion:0000
MajorImageVersion:0006
MinorImageVersion:0000
MajorSubsystemVersion:0005
MinorSubsystemVersion:0001

and *somehow* it works (without working touchpad).

While the 10.0.0.20 has:

MajorOperatingSystemVersion:0006
MinorOperatingSystemVersion:0001
MajorImageVersion:0006
MinorImageVersion:0001
MajorSubsystemVersion:0006 <- the test is with only this one changed to 0005
MinorSubsystemVersion:0001

and it works (and it doesn't) in different ways.

No idea if it will make any difference.

Before that, while you have the 7.0.5.5 still installed, what happens running the DellTpad.exe?

jaclaz

Try that 7.0.5.5 driver on your Win8 as well.

btw.

Just checked how that thing looks... Seems to be of the type i absolutely hate to use, lol

Single mechanical button around the middle, and it picks left/right click function based on your finger position.

When i have to use these at work, i exclusively use tapping. Trying to use the button always moves the cursor, ugh. I'd rather put something inside, so depressing the touchpad surface won't trigger the damn button, lol.

I see that this model is supposed to have a touch screen. Does it work fine on XP?

P.S. just found an old, expired ad from my company. Turns out we had one of these netbooks last summer. Gotta check if it's still there...

Edited by RainyShadow