[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Some news (pretty much unuseful, but still news).

I have definite proof that the good guys at Elantech use a couple of dice, a random number generator and possibly also the I-Ching to number/name things.

The flash video/demo I posted a link to earlier:

http://192.72.220.42/eng/tpn_sp_fun.asp
http://192.72.220.42/eng/smartPad_demo/index.swf

is actually (as the name implies) an index/intro video, made to cycle between each of the 9 (nine) separate videos corrsponding to the 9 (nine) items in the roll-up menu at the bottom, that consist in 12 (twelve) flash videos, according to this table (items numbered from left to right):

Item	Filename	 Title/Contents
?	pa01.swf	 ?/One Finger gesture Edge Scrolling
?	pa02.swf	 ?/One Finger gesture Edge Motion
1	pa03.swf	 2Fingers Tapping/Two Fingers gesture Tapping
5	pa04.swf	 Magnifying glass/Two Fingers gesture Magnifying glass
2	pa05.swf	 Rotate/Two Fingers gesture Rotate
3	pa06.swf	 Zoom in/out/Two Fingers gesture Zoom in/out
4	pa07.swf	 Scrolling/Two Fingers gesture Scrolling
6	pa08.swf	 3fingers Tappng/Three Fingers gesture Tapping
7	pa09.swf	 Switch Window/Three Fingers gesture Switch Active Window
8	pa10.swf	 My Computer/Three Fingers gesture Show "My Computer"
9	pa11.swf	 Swipe/Three Fingers gesture Page Up/Page Down
?	pa12.swf	 ?/Palm Gesture Cover

Of the three items with a question mark:

http://192.72.220.42/eng/smartPad_demo/pa01.swf
http://192.72.220.42/eng/smartPad_demo/pa02.swf
http://192.72.220.42/eng/smartPad_demo/pa12.swf

last one is actually interesting, even if it doesn't show in ETDAniconf.exe,  it may work if enabled, and the corresponding action (currently %RETURN_TO_DESKTOP%) :

; Cover
;#HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Cover_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,0
;#HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Cover_Func,%REG_DWORD%,%RETURN_TO_DESKTOP%

may actually be changed to something else :unsure:

jaclaz

The Start Menu items addition and removal routine now works perfectly!
:thumbup
I re-enabled the "cover" function, but it doesn't appear in ETDAniconf.exe and even when set to "1" it doesn't seem to do anything.
I'm not quite sure how "covering" the touchpad actually works anyway, if I put my palm down on it the icon graphic just shows a four finger click.
Maybe it works with different hardware, but not this hardware.
:dubbio:

16 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The Start Menu items addition and removal routine now works perfectly!
:thumbup

Sure, when Yzöwl writes something, it works. :yes:

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I re-enabled the "cover" function, but it doesn't appear in ETDAniconf.exe and even when set to "1" it doesn't seem to do anything.
I'm not quite sure how "covering" the touchpad actually works anyway, if I put my palm down on it the icon graphic just shows a four finger click.
Maybe it works with different hardware, but not this hardware.

Yep :), it was just something to try, I don't think anyone will miss the function :no:, but it is logically very similar to the 4 finger, so whether it works or not (and/or it "confuses" it with a 4 finger click/tap) may also depend on some other setting, *like* Palm, STV (sensibility) or - still say - it needs to have Four Finger Move Function disabled. :unsure:

Until I found the flash video I never thought that "Cover" was a gesture, I thought that it was something connected with "lid" :blushing:, and the default action was something like a "privacy" action of sorts, you close the lid (cover) all windows minimize showing the desktop and when you re-open it there is no risk that any sensible data is on screen. 

jaclaz

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, so if we can't get the magnifier to be invoked directly from the touchpad, if we have a shortcut to invoke it, do we now need anything else?

I would say that everything is ready for "release", what has to be decided is whether to leave the ;# REMmed lines and section or remove them alltogether.
(I would leave them, as they might be useful to someone with different hardware and willing to do experiments.
As well, it is to be decided if the 6 (please read as 7 ) small batches are to be included or not. 

9 hours ago, dencorso said:

Hmm...  a hyacinth macaw and fireworks galore, perhaps?  :unsure: :angel

Naaah, a parrot happily jumping around will suffice ;).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

LOL!

I would agree leave the ;# REMmed lines in the INF.
The file is already a huge amount smaller than the original, and I can't see any harm in leaving them there so any future experimenter can see what used to be included.

I think if the batch files are included there should be some sort of readme file with them to explain how to use them and why you might want to.

:)

Thanks @jaclaz, sorry for the delay in replying, I changed the motherboard in my computer yesterday, which took quite some time!

Yes, that explanatory note looks fine, so shall I package up what I think a future potential user will need to use this driver in the future?

I will of course send the final result to you for checking over.

Cheers, Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, that explanatory note looks fine, so shall I package up what I think a future potential user will need to use this driver in the future?

I will of course send the final result to you for checking over.

Yep, maybe it is better to put the batches and the howto in a .zip within the driver .zip, so that they remain "grouped" until (if) they are used, ot they could be also a separate attachment.

If you think that the how to is OK you can start a new thread with a minimum of background/history and the actual files attached, you will probably need to contact Dencorso for attachment size limits you may encounter.

There is very little I can check, besided the list of needed files (that we already checked) and their versions (should you have misplaced anything) as the only "real" test/check is whether it works (and only you can test it at the moment),

jaclaz

8 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

I think you should add it to the first post here instead of creating a whole new thread. If anything can't fit in, upload it elsewhere and put a link to it.

Traditionally, when something of possible general use comes out as the result of a looong thread, a new thread is made for the "release" and the "working thread" is kept separate as "history".

This way, if new issues, questions, etc. come out it is easier to understand the context and to not get confused by pages over pages of temporary files, tests, side issues, failed attempts, etc., whilst what happened is still kept accessible in case of need.

In this case it would be even worse as this thread started only for the graphic card issue.  

And since Dencorso offered to have the driver hosted directly here, it would be much better, bar your (nice BTW :)) idea about Archive.org, commonly used hosting sites tend to have issues before or later, and more often than not files hosted externally tend to go poof over time.

jaclaz

OK, I will get to this later today.
I will start a new thread for the "final result", with a link to this "experimentation" thread, if that's the usual convention here.

Then I'll have to ask dencorso to split off the earlier posts relating to the graphics hardware into a separate thread for that.
This is not made any easier by this forum's annoying lack of post numbering!

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

... This is not made any easier by this forum's annoying lack of post numbering!

Actually, each post is numbered, (your last post above is comment #1184077), but they are not numbered consecutively. One way to find the post number is to simply hover over the post header, either on the far right where it says "report post" or on the left where it shows the time/date that the post occurred, and then look down in your browser's status bar, or wherever it shows the link address that you are hovering over, to see the post number as the last part of the address of the link.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, I did know that, in fact I was in PM conversation with dencorso about it a week or two ago, but it's hardly as convenient as having numbering which is clearly visible on each post, as almost every other forum I use has!