[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

@Dave-H did you try playing with those XXX_Range values? You may be able to limit the left/right "button" clicks to tiny corner areas or something like that.

Also, set IdleTime_ShowItem to 1, then try various ways of tap/click + hold for over a second. Or a few clicks separated by variable delays of over/under a second.

Is there an option to disable the touchpad while you type? That may related...

[edit] save all ^ that ^ for after you get the thing working, lol.

Edited by RainyShadow
" left/mouse" => " left/right"

11 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

@Dave-H did you try playing with those XXX_Range values? You may be able to limit the left/mouse "button" clicks to tiny corner areas or something like that.

Also, set IdleTime_ShowItem to 1, then try various ways of tap/click + hold for over a second. Or a few clicks separated by variable delays of over/under a second.

Is there an option to disable the touchpad while you type? That may related...

[edit] save all ^ that ^ for after you get the thing working, lol.

Thanks, but the touchpad isn't actually disabled, I can still move the cursor around with it, and tap to click.
It's the "mouse clicking" function on the bottom left and right corners which isn't working, but the strange thing is that the animation on the system tray icon is still showing the clicks, they're just not doing anything!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as the reply appeared on a new page

Wait a minute, is it not that there is some conflict with "Corner Tap" or more likely with "Click" settings?

I removed the whole "Click" settings as you reported them doing nothing, but maybe it was only the Click interface, while "undercover" the governing settings are actually the "click" ones.

jaclaz

You could well be right about a connection there.
I've looked, and the corner tap function actually looks very unhappy at the moment, the corner adjustment bars are flickering around, and the corner highlights flickering on and off!
I guess something has been disabled which it needs to function properly, so if that's affected the mouse click functions as well that would make perfect sense!
:yes:

OK, now I'm completely at a loss!
I went through the new INF, and restored all the lines that were disabled by ;# at the beginning of them.
I did that by copying them below the originals and removing the ;# on all of the copied lines.
This was just so I could easily see what I'd changed.
That should surely be OK?

I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling again, and the touchpad "mouse buttons" still don't work!
I must have missed something, but I cannot see what it is.
Either that or something else is wrong with the INF with has nothing to do with the newly disabled lines.

I've attached it, please can you check that I've not missed anything!

:dubbio::dubbio:

ETDRestored.inf

I cannot find any issue with this latest .inf. :unsure:

From all I can see it is functionally equivalent to the reference one you sent, bar the mods.

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I did that by copying them below the originals and removing the ;# on all of the copied lines.
This was just so I could easily see what I'd changed.
That should surely be OK?

No, the procedure is not entirely correct, as some values might have been changed, besides the remming with ;#.

I cannot believe that the re-ordering of the groups of settings can affect the way the .inf work.

Try installing the "old" .inf, export the HKLM and HKCU \Elantech to .reg files.

Then uninstall and install the "latest" .inf and repeat.

Then compare the two sets of .reg files.

Before that, check these two (these might make sense):

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

They are 1 in the old .inf but 0 in the modded one. (besides being remmed out).

You don't need to reinstall for the moment, first try using OneFinger.cmd to make Click_display visible and ShowItemOne.cmd to make  ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_ShowItem and ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_ShowItem visible and see if you can enable them in the ETDAniconf.exe.

jaclaz 

OK, enabling the "Click" option in the control panel and switching left and right click on works, the buttons immediately come back to life!
They remain working after a reboot, but the Click option is no longer in the control panel.
:dubbio:

I went back to the original INF you modified and changed ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_Enable and ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_Enable to "1".
Also ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_ShowItem and Also ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_ShowItem to "1".
Uninstalled and reinstalled, and that seems to have fixed the "buttons" not working.
I thought the "ShowItem" options being enabled would show the option in the control panel, but it doesn't seem to.
Perhaps that has to be done elsewhere, but it's probably not necessary anyway.
After all, why would you want to disable the buttons?!

The Corner Tap Zone option still looks very unstable, with the corners flickering and the position indicator arrows round the edge jumping all over the place when the cursor is moved by the touchpad.
I don't remember it being like that before, so I will try another install with the original INF to see if it's any better with that.

Yep, all in all we can restore the original Click .inf section as it was:

; Click

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Two_Finger_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Three_Finger_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Four_Finger_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Two_Finger_Click_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Three_Finger_Click_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Four_Finger_Click_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Two_Finger_Click_Func,%REG_DWORD%,%CLICK_SELECT%

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Two_Finger_Click_Path,%REG_SZ%,

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Three_Finger_Click_Func,%REG_DWORD%,%CLICK_SELECT%

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Three_Finger_Click_Path,%REG_SZ%,

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Four_Finger_Click_Func,%REG_DWORD%,%CLICK_SELECT%

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_Four_Finger_Click_Path,%REG_SZ%,

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_Func,%REG_DWORD%,%CLICK_SELECT%

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_LeftCorner_Click_Path,%REG_SZ%,

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_Func,%REG_DWORD%,%CONTEXT_MENU%

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",ClickPad_RightCorner_Click_Path,%REG_SZ%,

and call it day.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I thought the "ShowItem" options being enabled would show the option in the control panel, but it doesn't seem to.

No the ETDAniconf.exe needs:

1) the HKCU \Elantech\SmartPadDisplay\Click_Display set to 1

to display the page

AND:

2) the various _ShowItem values set to 1 to display the single items within the page.

If you have the latter ones set to 1 but the former set to 0 you won't see anything.

Very likely in a reboot some (but not all) settings in HKCU are changed according to settings in HKLM, so if the Click_Display is set to 0 in HKLM but to 1 in HKCU, after a reboot the HKCU is reverted to 0, or if you prefer for this setting HKLM is prevailing.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK I restored the items in the "Click" section in the new INF to match your list, and all seems to be well.
The only thing I would still like to have a go at is to put the necessary information into the INF file to add Windows Start Menu entries for ETDMag.exe and ETDDeviceInformation.exe.
I looked into doing that, but had a lot of trouble getting my head around the syntax involved!

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK I restored the items in the "Click" section in the new INF to match your list, and all seems to be well.
The only thing I would still like to have a go at is to put the necessary information into the INF file to add Windows Start Menu entries for ETDMag.exe and ETDDeviceInformation.exe.
I looked into doing that, but had a lot of trouble getting my head around the syntax involved!

Should be this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/inf-profileitems-directive

Try :unsure::

[ETD_STD_Inst]

ProfileItems=Optional_Elantech_Mag,Optional_Elantech_DeviceInformation 

[Optional_Elantech_Mag]
Name="ETD Magnifier" 
CmdLine=16422, %TargetDir%,ETDMag.exe
SubDir="Accessories"
Infotip="Allows to magnify an area on the screen"

[Optional_Elantech_DeviceInformation] 
Name="ETD Device Information" 
CmdLine=16422, %TargetDir%,ETDDeviceInformation.exe
SubDir="Accessories"
Infotip="Shows senseless info about the stupid touchpad device"

But no ideas on how to delete them on uninstall. :dubbio:the:
Name=link-name[,name-attributes]

has to have the name-attributes explicited as flag 0x00000002 (delete item), but WHERE does this line needs to be put?

Do we need a 

[Optional_Elantech.del]
Name="ETD Magnifier",  0x00000002
Name="ETD Device Information",  0x00000002

and to add a  

ProfileItems=Optional_Elantech.del

to the [Uninstall] section?

jaclaz

Thanks, I will experiment with that!

I still think it's strange that it seems to be impossible to invoke the magnifier from the control panel.
The magnifier follows the magnification amount and area size settings on the control panel fine, but I still can't mange to actually launch it from the touchpad!

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, I will experiment with that!

I still think it's strange that it seems to be impossible to invoke the magnifier from the control panel.
The magnifier follows the magnification amount and area size settings on the control panel fine, but I still can't mange to actually launch it from the touchpad!

SCOOP! ;)

We have a (Flash) video here:
http://192.72.220.42/eng/tpn_sp_fun.asp

http://192.72.220.42/eng/smartPad_demo/index.swf

showing the actual magnifying gesture tapping (around half, but there is a roll-up menu at the bottom that allows to go to the point)

Try doing that, maybe it will come out as more intuitively.

My guess is that (following the written instructions to the letter) you were tapping it wrong :w00t: :ph34r: till now.

I would describe what is shown in the video as:

Hover over the touchpad with two fingers, then tap the left one once, and while keeping it on the touchapad  tap the other (right) finger twice.

No two fingers are tapped at the same time, seemingly,  quite different from:

First tap two fingers and hold one finger on the pad while double tapping with the other finger. The magnifying glass will appear. Drag a finger on the pad to move and focus the magnifying glass on the desired subject. Tap a finger to terminate the function.Magnifying glass copies the selected screen image to the clipboard when function initialized. 

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well I still can't get it to work! :D
Perhaps it needs multi-finger tapping enabled or something.
I'm doing exactly what's shown in the video, but nothing happens.
The actions are showing correctly on the system tray icon.

The Start Menu items adding routine works fine, although IMO it would be better to have the two items in an "Elantech" menu item at the top level rather than in the Accessories folder.
I think that if they're put there people won't even notice that they've been added, whereas if something has been added at the top level they will.
They can always move them if they don't like them there, I do that all the time after I've installed something new.

The removal routine doesn't work, as you feared.
I tried tinkering with it, but no joy.
It looks a bit vague on the MS page as to whether there should be a space between the comma and the 0x00000002.
I tried both ways, but no difference.
:no:

Yep, but until we find out how to delete the added .lnk files, creating a folder would only mess it up.

Creating the folder should be however straightforward (maybe), something *along the lines of*:

[Optional_Elantech_Folder]
Name="ELantech",  0x00000004

but of course you are right the given MS page essentially, says: you can do 53 different things with this directive, here is an example on how to do the first one (the simplest and more straightforward one), go figure yourself how exactly the other 52 can be made.

We need a couple of .inf examples using this approach (I believe rather uncommon as most programs that install and create shortcut, etc, use a dedicated program installer/uninstaller and not a .inf).

I'll see what I can find, but don't hold your breath.

About the gesture, no further ideas, did you try with both  the two and three fingers settings?

The (wrong) textual instructions (which are the same on the Flash video) seem to me like two fingers related more that to three fingers, but you never know. :dubbio:

P.S. Just found a nice thread by ricktendo here, probably the subdirectory is created automatically when creating the .link file :unsure:, and the deletion seems like using a completely different syntax/set of flags :w00t:, 0x0000000A,22 :

https://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/1904-tutorial-exotic-inf-profileitemsshortcuts/

P.P.S.S.: Maybe here is the answer, Yzöwl :worship: uses 0x6:

this last snippet seems like it could be easily adapted to our problem, as:
1) it creates a group/folder (subfolder in start menu)
2) it creates two items in it
3) it deletes the subfolder and items in it on uninstall

ProfileItems=Optional_ETDgroup.Add,Optional_Elantech_Mag,Optional_Elantech_DeviceInformation 

[DefaultUninstall]
ProfileItems = ETDgroup.Del

[Optional_ETDgroup.Add]
Name         = "Elantech", 0x4

[Optional_Elantech_Mag]
Name="ETD Magnifier" 
CmdLine=16422, %TargetDir%,ETDMag.exe
SubDir="Elantech"
Infotip="Allows to magnify an area on the screen"

[Optional_Elantech_DeviceInformation] 
Name="ETD Device Information" 
CmdLine=16422, %TargetDir%,ETDDeviceInformation.exe