[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Notepad seems to be added by default on install, as it's referenced in the INF file.

I had already tried setting "Tap3_Press_Enable to "1" in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\Smartpad, but three finger tapping still did nothing.
That's where the reference to notepad is, in "Tap3_Press_Path".
I assume if it were working it would launch notepad.

I set ThreeFingerPress_Display to "1".
TabUI_1F_Display and TabUI_MultiFinger_Display were already set to "1".
Three finger tap still does nothing.
:no:

31 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Notepad seems to be added by default on install, as it's referenced in the INF file.

I had already tried setting "Tap3_Press_Enable to "1" in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\Smartpad, but three finger tapping still did nothing.
That's where the reference to notepad is, in "Tap3_Press_Path".
I assume if it were working it would launch notepad.

I set ThreeFingerPress_Display to "1".
TabUI_1F_Display and TabUI_MultiFinger_Display were already set to "1".
:no:

Sure, the display keys are only to make sure that you can in ETDAniconf.exe see the settings and enable/disable them.

Then as said it has to be seen if the driver and your hardware actually do anything,

Anyway Tap and Press are distinct actions.

Three Finger Tap is another setting (that you have anyway disabled because you disabled ALL tapping), and is in the One FInger tab,  different from Three Finger Press which is in the MultiFinger tab in ETDAniconf.exe.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Enable the animated icon in systray and check if multi-finger taps light it up differently compared to single finger.

Also, try tapping in various ways, some touchpads have a hard time registering multiple fingers.

10 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Enable the animated icon in systray and check if multi-finger taps light it up differently compared to single finger.

Also, try tapping in various ways, some touchpads have a hard time registering multiple fingers.

It is not "Tap", it is "Press".

jaclaz

19 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

It is not "Tap", it is "Press"

Dave said:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Anyways, my suggestion should apply to both :P

Edited by RainyShadow

5 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Anyways, my suggestion should apply to both :P

No it won't apply to tapping, because Dave has ALL tapping disabled, or if you prefer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Tap_Enable set to 0

And that - seemingly - automatically disables in the driver (even if the Registy is not changed) all three possible tapping options:
Tap_One_Finger_Enable
Tap_Two_Finger_Enable
Tap_Three_Finger_Enable

and possibly also the other :
TwoFinger_Double_Tap_Enable

So, no tapping will work.

jaclaz

If I switch tapping back on, one finger and two finger tap work fine.
Three finger tapping, and three finger pressing, still do nothing.
They are both correctly shown on the icon animation.
:)

9 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Or... Since our barn burned down yesterday, we should slaughter all animals that survived?

I thought you were busy re-building a new barn ...

jaclaz

14 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

If I switch tapping back on, one finger and two finger tap work fine.
Three finger tapping, and three finger pressing, still do nothing.
They are both correctly shown on the icon animation.
:)

It's strange, as the Lenovo.exe (that comes with the same driver) while it has not a setting for three finger tapping does have one for three finger pressing. :unsure:

And there is the Press_3F.avi file.

Maybe there is some other setting that prevent press to work? :dubbio:

jaclaz

Well it's certainly not something I'm too worried about!

As I said, the one thing that would now be good IMO would be to get rid of the favourites menu option, as it doesn't seem to work as it should do at all.

Although notepad is in the list by default, and other programs can be added to it, when the settings button is pressed, it does exactly the same as the add button does, just goes to the Windows folder. What I would expect the settings button to do would be to pop up the control panel so the touchpad settings can be changed, but just for that program.

It may well be that messing around with the control panel configuration has stopped that from working as it should.
I don't think it's important, and as I said I bet hardly anyone ever actually uses it, so it would be nice to just hide it if it's possible.
I can't see any relevant registry entries to do that though.
:dubbio:

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Well it's certainly not something I'm too worried about!

As I said, the one thing that would now be good IMO would be to get rid of the favourites menu option, as it doesn't seem to work as it should do at all.

Although notepad is in the list by default, and other programs can be added to it, when the settings button is pressed, it does exactly the same as the add button does, just goes to the Windows folder. What I would expect the settings button to do would be to pop up the control panel so the touchpad settings can be changed, but just for that program.

It may well be that messing around with the control panel configuration has stopped that from working as it should.
I don't think it's important, and as I said I bet hardly anyone ever actually uses it, so it would be nice to just hide it if it's possible.
I can't see any relevant registry entries to do that though.

I have lost you.

WHICH "settings" button?

I cannot see any in the screeshot you posted:

With UI_Theme set to 1 clicking on "Property of touchpad" should bring up the Mouse properties and there should be the added Elan tab.

To remove the "My Favorite settings" you need to edit the ETDCtrl.exe.

I cannot do it because I have no way to see how it behaves, if I got the right resource, etc.

It should be Menu #172 :unsure: either 32805,0 or 32806,1

Get Exescope:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/File-Editors/eXeScope.shtml

or ResHacker:

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

And try and see what happens deleting the one or the other.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Sorry, I meant "Modify", not "Settings"!
I couldn't actually look at it on the machine when I was writing the post and misremembered what the button was labelled.
(I also of course forgot that I could have just gone and looked at my off-screen photograph earlier in the thread! :blushing:)

It doesn't actually do what I would expect it to do, it seems to just do the same as the "Add" button.

I'll look into modifying ETDCtrl.exe if that's the only way of removing it, although ETDFavorite.dll must have something to do with it I would have thought.
IIRC we found that was an essential file for the driver to work.

From what I can understand the "modify" will work to replace the existing notepad.exe link (when that is selected), the "add" adds another program.

If the list is empty "modify" and "add" do the same thing.

I cannot see that exact same dialog as the only one (similar and to the same effect) is accessible via ETDAniconf.exe Multifinger 3 Finger Press, and that one has (at least here) only "Add" and "Delete".

About ETDFavorite.dll cannot really say, maybe in the current configuration (ETDmcpl.dll+ETDAniconf.exe, UI_theme=1) it is not  *needed*, particularly if you are removing that right click option.

Dialog 4000 in ETDFavorite.dll seems a lot like the Add/Modify/Delete/Up/Down you posted in the screenshot.

jaclaz

I removed menu item 32805,0 in ETDCtrl.exe with Resource Hacker, and the "Favorites" menu has gone from the icon right click, just the "Property of Touch-Pad" is there now.
:yes:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I removed menu item 32805,0 in ETDCtrl.exe with Resource Hacker, and the "Favorites" menu has gone from the icon right click, just the "Property of Touch-Pad" is there now.
:yes:

Good. :)

Now you can try removing/renaming the ETDFavorite.dll and see if anything changes in the behaviour of the driver.

jaclaz