[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

3 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

TP means?  TrackPad or TrackPoint? 

Neither. It means TouchPad :P

TrackPoint is the IBM/Lenovo name for a pointstick.

TrackPad is used either in connection to Apple related hardware, or by people who mix up touchpad and trackpoint (there are a few of these at my work).

2 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Neither. It means TouchPad :P

TrackPoint is the IBM/Lenovo name for a pointstick.

TrackPad is used either in connection to Apple related hardware, or by people who mix up touchpad and trackpoint (there are a few of these at my work).

I see, you mean SmarTPad. :buehehe:

jaclaz

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

OK, so it is HKCU.

I am still confused, here the ETDSimpleUI.exe always changes HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable

Try the following,

Run regmon using as "include" only "HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\".

Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\UIFunctionOption\UI_Theme to 5

Run ETDSimpleUI.

Check and uncheck the "Tapping" (first top left).

It should change the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable.

Now change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\UIFunctionOption\UI_Theme to 0

Reboot or stop the driver/etdctrl.exe etc.

Run ETDSimpleUI.

Check and uncheck the "Tapping" (first top left).

It should STILL change the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable or does it instead change the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\TapEnable?

OR the difference is then that the driver *somehow* reads the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable only when the UI_Theme is 5? :dubbio:

jaclaz

Yes, as I described in the post linked below, the key that the control panels change does seem to differ.
AsusUI and ETDSimpleUI change the "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" key, and the Elan UI changes the "TapEnable" key.
I think that's always the case, but which one of those keys is "live" changes depending on the registry settings.
It's frankly a dreadful confusing mess!

:dubbio:

Off to bed now, I will do those tests tomorrow if you still want me to.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Maybe we have a simple way out. :unsure:

It has been a good idea to get your Registry entries, for *some* reasons I missed a few keys or values (of course due to the fact that my install is "wacky" and the actual .sys doesn't run).

I could (finally) check/trace these utils and check which (and how many) keys they access/change:
ETDMcpl.dll 78
Aniconf.exe 94
ETDSimpleUI.exe 27
AsusUI.exe 30

Of course they are not the "same" keys, though actually the only real, substantial difference is exactly that Key:
ETDMcpl.dll and Aniconf.exe use the Tap_Enable
ETDSimpleUI.exe and AsusUI.exe use the Tap_One_Finger_Enable

For *some reasons* the Aniconf.exe writes (at least here) some *crazy* values and for the *same or other reasons* if I run Aniconf.exe, then ETDSimpleUI throws an error, and I need to reset the Registry HKCU to the values from your files (and then ETDSimpleUI runs again.

The big difference between ETDMCpl.dll and ETDSimpleUI is that the latter does not have *any* settings for the touchpad buttons, seemingly.

Anyway. try patching the ETDSimpleUI.exe, with the attachment, it simply replaces the key name that is edited/changed from Tap_One_Finger_Enable to Tap_Enable.

Set the two - by now famous - keys to:
CustomerDefinition=0
UI_ThemeOption=0

Now both the ETDMcpl.dll and the ETDSimpleUI.exe toggle the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Enable.

jaclaz

Hexalter_ETD.zip

Jaclaz, that works brilliantly!
:thumbup
I hadn't actually realised that the "tap to click" function was the only one that had the settings discrepancy between the registry settings changed by the control panels.
Thank goodness for that or it would have been a very much bigger patching job!

I've had the two control panels open side by side and compared what each one does, and the settings made in ETDSimpleUI do indeed seem to be now all mirrored in the Elan control panel.
The ETDSimpleUI does seem to be missing some options that are in the Elan control panel, such as "Swipe Page". Also the ETDSimpleUI has two separate settings for one finger scrolling and two finger scrolling, which the Elan control panel does not seem to have (it references two finger scrolling only).
There is also an "ETDSimpleUI_Win8", and I thought that might include the "Swipe Page" function, but it doesn't seem to.

I don't know.

The keys that the one or the other tool sets/access seem *overall* a bit *random*.

I made a (nice?) comparison table, but whilst some differences make sense (like the buttons copletely missing in ETDSimpleUI.exe) others appear as "queer"

jaclaz

Keys_compare.zip

44 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

I don't know.

The keys that the one or the other tool sets/access seem *overall* a bit *random*.

I made a (nice?) comparison table, but whilst some differences make sense (like the buttons copletely missing in ETDSimpleUI.exe) others appear as "queer"

jaclaz

Keys_compare.zip 13.22 kB · 0 downloads

So much work, thanks again!  :worship:
The ETDSimpleUI also has a separate two finger tapping setting, which in the Elan control panel is combined with the single finger tapping.
The two finger tapping switch in ETDSimpleUI doesn't seem to do anything, so that could well be another registry discrepancy between the two control panels.

30 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

So much work, thanks again!  :worship:
The ETDSimpleUI also has a separate two finger tapping setting, which in the Elan control panel is combined with the single finger tapping.
The two finger tapping switch in ETDSimpleUI doesn't seem to do anything, so that could well be another registry discrepancy between the two control panels.

Well, that sets:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Two_Finger_Enable Off/on 0/1

and then you can choose the dropdown that flips:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Two_Finger 1/2 Pop-up Menu vs. Middle Button

And ETDMcpl has the second:
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Two_Finger BUT 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20

Pop-up Menu/Middle Button/forward internet/back internet/window full/resize to icon/nothing/page down/page up/run[1]/scroll down/left/right/up/Start menu/Zoom +/zoom -/Close Window/back to desktop/Programs[2]

[1] and this creates little icon show that upon clicking on it allows to set a path, that is written fine on:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Two_Finger_Path

[2] and again the little icon that popups a window that seemingly allows to choosing a number of programs, and settings are written to:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\Favorite\IndexCount
HKCU\Software\Elantech\Favorite\1

etc. [3]

but not the first:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Two_Finger_Enable (which evidently is "included" in Tap_Enable)

Similarly to the Tap_One_Finger_Enable, with the two keys set to 0, the Tap_Enable should "rule" but the settings should work as well. :dubbio:

Does two fingers tapping work at all? (with the two keys set to 0 is anyway a take all or nothing, either you enable tapping,  both one and two finger or you disable both, maybe with the setting to 5 you can enable two finger tapping but not single finger one :unsure:).

jaclaz

[3] and this probably ends in a pop-up list of "favorite programs" among which you can choose to run one, seemingly one of the few possibly useful settings (I mean, two finger tapping to - say - scroll left, but nothing to scroll right ? Come on

Also, try manually setting 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Three_Finger_ShowItem

In ETDMcpl under Touch you have now also three finger tapping!

These drivers+setting tools are no end of fun.

jaclaz

Two finger tapping works if it's enabled in the Elan control panel, but not if it's only enabled in ETDSimpleUI.

Three finger tapping does work from the Elan control panel too if it's enabled to be seen, but there's no equivalent option in ETDSimpleUI.

:)

Ok, a fun experiment, i doubt it can work, but you never know.

Try setting manually the:

Tap_Three_Finger_ShowItem to 1

So that you have in ETDmcpl.dll under touch:

Active

one finger Click/Select

two finger Nothing (or No action)

three finger Nothing (or No action)

(as you might understand, I am seeing the text in Italian and I am translating it back to English, so it might be different)

Now, set:

Active Checked

One finger (is fixed to) Click/Select
Two Finger (set it to the second item, Menu or Context Menu)
Three Finger (set it to the 15th item, Start Menu)

Verify that the smartpad does those actions with one/two/three fingers taps.

Now manually edit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Enable

set it to 0x7

Now maybe-just-maybe, the two and three figer taps still work but the one finger tap does nothing. :dubbio:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz