[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

48 minutes ago, Scarf32 said:

Guys is the vista extended kernel scene dead? There are no new kernels and i didn't hear about it anymore

@win32 still regularly visits the forum. Some users reported problems with March version of extended kernel so perhaps he needs more time to fix everything.

The gap between October 2022 and March 2023 was still higher than March - now so that's nothing unusual

6 hours ago, TSNH said:

@win32 still regularly visits the forum. Some users reported problems with March version of extended kernel so perhaps he needs more time to fix everything.

The gap between October 2022 and March 2023 was still higher than March - now so that's nothing unusual

Ok thanks! Do you know a way to install chrome? Because now i can't anymore, i tried with osver.ini with windows 10 build and it says unsupported os

Edited by Scarf32

2 minutes ago, Scarf32 said:

Ok thanks! Do you know a way to install chrome? Because now i can't anymore, i tried with osver.ini with windows 10 build and it says unsupported os

You can use a custom Chrome made by @win32 instead. Here is the link to it.

Edited by mina7601

58 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

use the web player instead. 
https://open.spotify.com/

... 99.9% of Spotify audio(+video) content is behind full blown DRM and requires the most-up-to-date version of the Widevine CDM (v4.10.2652.0); Widevine CDM (itself basically a DLL file) has abandoned Vista SP2 support at least 3 years ago, and will probably move out of supporting Win7 before the end of the year (WV is owned by Google and they have stopped supporting Win7 in Chrome, of which WV is a component, early in 2023) ...

@Scarf32 should probably first test if his browser of choice under Vista's Extended Kernel does have a working EME/DRM implementation (via Widevine) at below test page:

https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm

The CDM sends hardware/platform/OS details to the configured licence servers, in order to receive a response with the content decryption keys; because all that takes place inside a so called black-box (the OS and the browser have no access to it at all), it's hard to tell beforehand if the Spotify WV lic servers will whitelist decryption key requests originating from a Vista+ExtKernel "system"; assuming, of course, that the ExtKernel itself enables the "correct functioning" of the Widevine CDM to begin with :whistle:...

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... 99.9% of Spotify audio(+video) content is behind full blown DRM and requires the most-up-to-date version of the Widevine CDM (v4.10.2652.0); Widevine CDM (itself basically a DLL file) has abandoned Vista SP2 support at least 3 years ago, and will probably move out of supporting Win7 before the end of the year (WV is owned by Google and they have stopped supporting Win7 in Chrome, of which WV is a component, early in 2023) ...

@Scarf32 should probably first test if his browser of choice under Vista's Extended Kernel does have a working EME/DRM implementation (via Widevine) at below test page:

https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm

The CDM sends hardware/platform/OS details to the configured licence servers, in order to receive a response with the content decryption keys; because all that takes place inside a so called black-box (the OS and the browser have no access to it at all), it's hard to tell beforehand if the Spotify WV lic servers will whitelist decryption key requests originating from a Vista+ExtKernel "system"; assuming, of course, that the ExtKernel itself enables the "correct functioning" of the Widevine CDM to begin with :whistle:...

I tried every browser and the further i got was chrome was able to play a song but then after 10 seconds it starts skipping all songs and it doesn't work anymore. So no the web player doesn't absolutely work. Edit: With chrome i mean the windows 7 one the actual chrome, because supermium doesn't even have drm

Edited by Scarf32

3 hours ago, Scarf32 said:

I tried every browser

... But, did you first try the DRM test page I referenced already? :dubbio:If not successful in getting the video to play, what exact error was produced, if any?

Have you tried to inspect the Widevine CDM dll shipped with Google Chrome (x64) with Dependency Walker x64 under Vista SP2 x64+ExtKernel?

and the further i got was chrome was able to play a song but then after 10 seconds
it starts skipping all songs and it doesn't work anymore.

... That's a telltale sign of Widevine CDM either

1. Being completely broken under your OS+browser combination
2. Its web requests to the Spotify Widevine licence server not being authorised/approved, due to a variety of reasons [blacklisted a) version of the CDM itself, b) browser version the CDM is installed in c) device/hardware type, which includes - but is not limited to - OS the browser+CDM are installed] ...

With chrome i mean the windows 7 one the actual chrome

Please, which exact version of Google Chrome x64 was that and which exact version of the WV CDM?

TL;DR: Informing us the Spotify web player doesn't (absolutely) work is one piece of info (no doubt useful to those willing to try it in the first place ;) ), but doesn't offer any clue to the more inquisitive among us as to WHY it doesn't work :( ...

FWIW, I'm on Vista SP2 32-bit, so can't perform those tests myself...

Edited by VistaLover

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... But, did you first try the DRM test page I referenced already? :dubbio:If not successful in getting the video to play, what exact error was produced, if any?

Have you tried to inspect the Widevine CDM dll shipped with Google Chrome (x64) with Dependency Walker x64 under Vista SP2 x64+ExtKernel?

... That's a telltale sign of Widevine CDM either

1. Being completely broken under your OS+browser combination
2. Its web requests to the Spotify Widevine licence server not being authorised/approved, due to a variety of reasons [blacklisted a) version of the CDM itself, b) browser version the CDM is installed in c) device/hardware type, which includes - but is not limited to - OS the browser+CDM are installed] ...

Please, which exact version of Google Chrome x64 was that and which exact version of the WV CDM?

TL;DR: Informing us the Spotify web player doesn't (absolutely) work is one piece of info (no doubt useful to those willing to try it in the first place ;) ), but doesn't offer any clue to the more inquisitive among us as to WHY it doesn't work :( ...

FWIW, I'm on Vista SP2 32-bit, so can't perform those tests myself...

Man why didn't you tell me before that i should give you details.Also i don't know a thing about how widevine works or how to inspect it. And also i can't install the latest ext kernel because bizzbob installer crashes and the "default one" (setup.exe) gives me a lot of errors like: unable to backup or unable to restore. Can you help me?

Edited by Scarf32

i can't install the latest ext kernel because bizzbob installer crashes 

You need to use the original installer kindly provided by win32, and not a third party one, since it may or may not be infected. And you need to run the original installer by the developer win32 in admin mode!

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

You need to use the original installer kindly provided by win32, and not a third party one, since it may or may not be infected. And you need to run the original installer by the developer win32 in admin mode!

Do you think that i didn't run it as an admin? Of course i did. And it gives me these errors. I'm not that stupid

Edited by Scarf32

Do you think that i didn't run it as an admin? Of course i did. And it gives me these errors. I'm not that stupid

I never implied you're stupid, I was just trying to help, since it's a very common error. But your decision to run a third party installer by "bizzibob" in admin mode doesn't look good, trust me.

Especially in admin mode.

Edited by Dixel
Especially in admin mode.