[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

5 hours ago, CommanderKeen said:

Hey, I've tried to get the current Firefox version to work via the osver.ini workaround but I still get the weird font issue and nothing is visible, any help on this?

Make sure you have Enabled=1 and BuildNumber=7600 added and not FirefoxFix, as FirefoxFix has been removed since June last year. You also should make sure you're pointing at the right directory, see this to understand what I mean. (but remember to disregard FirefoxFix from that link)

Edited by mina7601

On 2/9/2023 at 3:26 PM, CommanderKeen said:

Hey, I've tried to get the current Firefox version to work via the osver.ini workaround but I still get the weird font issue and nothing is visible, any help on this?

you turn off osver.ini? it should work (i am using firefox 99 so i dont know)

Screenshot_2.png

On 2/10/2023 at 11:01 PM, Scorpi0n said:

you turn off osver.ini? it should work (i am using firefox 99 so i dont know)

Screenshot_2.png

Yeah, wrong setting but it all works now. Vista has been really good to me so far with this hardware as a daily driver along with the extended kernel

4 hours ago, CommanderKeen said:

Yeah, wrong setting but it all works now. Vista has been really good to me so far with this hardware as a daily driver along with the extended kernel

good job on finding a way around the issue! I've been looking for a way to fix this for a really long time

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to backport DWrite from Windows 10 to Vista. It will probably succeed after copying certain DLL libraries from 7 or 8.1 and resolve some dependences. This will probably allow Chromium version 111 to run up to build 5535 (then Opera 97 Dev should also work fully, but I'm not sure about that)

Edited by msquidpl

5 hours ago, msquidpl said:

I am trying to backport DWrite from Windows 10 to Vista. It will probably succeed after copying certain DLL libraries from 7 or 8.1 and resolve some dependences. This will probably allow Chromium version 111 to run up to build 5535 (then Opera 97 Dev should also work fully, but I'm not sure about that)

I had to build my own api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-0.dll and api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-1.dll. I also had to make a patch to prevent it from continuously polling a non-existent ALPC port. I may also have to write a bcp47mm.dll to go along with it, because the DLL isn't working for much other than Chromium due to a null function pointer somewhere.

The breakage point is between 5547 and 5555 as a result.

Guys, my try to port it failed (in theory, resolved dependiences, but browser still not worked). But on @win32 modified DWrite.dll from W10 1809 and these api-ms files, build 5535 of Chromium and Opera 97 Dev based on 5532 works fine. Thank you so much!

I will try newer builds :)

2331707500_1676936970.png

Edited by msquidpl

On 2/20/2023 at 10:08 AM, WinCare said:

No. It will be released in March. Sorry. 

Empty promises again ? I'm timing you. If by that time you don't release it, I'll report you to the imperial guards.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:04 AM, WinCare said:

My exams are till Feb 28, I will release on March 2023.

March the 4th now, is it? I'd like to think you'll have something to showcase by then. Otherwise, stop clogging up these information rich threads with vaporware. It's not right for those that utilize this platform for real, flesh and bone projects, nor to those checking back here to track how said projects are developing. 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:33 PM, Cocodile said:

Empty promises again ? I'm timing you. If by that time you don't release it, I'll report you to the imperial guards.

he has been reported to the imperial guards he's banned (mina7601 & me both reported him for spam)

Edited by legacyfan

On 2/10/2023 at 11:08 PM, mina7601 said:

I am not sure what do you mean by that.

Sorry for late respond but if you have the latest ExKernel you should have the file named osver.ini in C:\Windows

4 minutes ago, Scorpi0n said:

Sorry for late respond but if you have the latest ExKernel you should have the file named osver.ini in C:\Windows

The osver.ini file isn't created automatically when you install Extended Kernel. It has to be created manually.