[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

15 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

It's probably more worth it to look at the 382.33 drivers, as that supports all the way from the GT 1030 to the GTX 1080 Ti

The incompatibilities are probably incremental.

First, official Vista support was dropped after 365.19.

Then the user mode DX part of drivers (365.19, 372.70] does not export missing functions, but fails on the officially unsupported NT 6.0. Then 372.90 introduces some missing functions. And the latest W7 ones have like 40 missing functions!

The user mode issues, if not corrected, would probably persist once the kernel mode parts of later drivers are fixed.

Hopefully the user-mode fix will be applicable to those 382.33 drivers as well as later ones.

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

The incompatibilities are probably incremental.

First, official Vista support was dropped after 365.19.

Then the user mode DX part of drivers (365.19, 372.70] does not export missing functions, but fails on the officially unsupported NT 6.0. Then 372.90 introduces some missing functions. And the latest W7 ones have like 40 missing functions!

The user mode issues, if not corrected, would probably persist once the kernel mode parts of later drivers are fixed.

Hopefully the user-mode fix will be applicable to those 382.33 drivers as well as later ones.

So are you going to add the 372.70 functions, or mod 372.70?

Edited by asdf2345

19 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

So are you going to add the 372.70 functions, or mod 372.70?

I will work on modding 372.70 usermode components. I just looked at nvd3dumx.dll (D3D usermode driver for x64 components) and I found this suspect code:

.text:00000001806B94AF                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwOSVersionInfoSize, 11Ch
.text:00000001806B94B9                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMajorVersion, 6
.text:00000001806B94C3                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMinorVersion, 1
.text:00000001806B94CD                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.wServicePackMajor, r15w
.text:00000001806B94D5                 call    cs:VerifyVersionInfoW

So it is actively checking for NT 6.1. No doubt these changes will have to be done for later usermode components.

UPDATE: and so does 365.19. So I'll have to check other files.

Edited by win32

2 hours ago, win32 said:

I will work on modding 372.70 usermode components. I just looked at nvd3dumx.dll (D3D usermode driver for x64 components) and I found this suspect code:

.text:00000001806B94AF                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwOSVersionInfoSize, 11Ch
.text:00000001806B94B9                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMajorVersion, 6
.text:00000001806B94C3                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMinorVersion, 1
.text:00000001806B94CD                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.wServicePackMajor, r15w
.text:00000001806B94D5                 call    cs:VerifyVersionInfoW

Maybe u can see from the 32bit version and compare? since it seems like the 32bit apps have no issue with it. 

5 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Any chance you'd also take a look at AMD drivers? They stopped working in mid-2015 when they changed driver branches (introduced with the RX 300 series: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-15-15-download.html).

Which AMD gpu do you use? I use the Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU and I got it working using SDI

2 minutes ago, syria! said:

Which AMD gpu do you use? I use the Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU and I got it working using SDI

I have a R9 380, precisely the point where AMD drivers stopped working. Had to used a hacked together Embedded version of the drivers. Not ideal.

Never heard of SDI. I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: Yeah, your GPU still had officially compatible drivers with Vista, that's why SDI (Snappy Driver Installer?) found a matching pair.

Edited by greenhillmaniac

8 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I have a R9 380, precisely the point where AMD drivers stopped working. Had to used a hacked together Embedded version of the drivers. Not ideal.

Hm, I think you're out of luck on this one, but you can still try Snappy Driver Installer which might get the gpu drivers running.
https://sdi-tool.org/download/
It's 21gb large, DriverPack doesn't work on vista so you have to use SDI

Inform me if SDI installs the drivers correctly, run the windows experience index after installing the gpu drivers, then wait for it to finish the benchmarks. You should get Aero Glass and other Aero effects if it's 3+

EDIT: Yeah, might be the reason. Still, give it a try, might work although it might have to use an engineering sample

Edited by syria!

1 minute ago, greenhillmaniac said:

The 15.100 embedded drivers aren't that bad on my HD 6870, and with the extended kernel you don't need to use the powerprof wrapper

Just now, asdf2345 said:

The 15.100 embedded drivers aren't that bad on my HD 6870, and with the extended kernel you don't need to use the powerprof wrapper

If the embedded drivers support OpenGL which is needed to run most graphical apps or games, you should be good

4 minutes ago, burd said:

do you think d3d12 binaries can be backported or tricked to run on Vista from Windows 7 , ofcourse currently Direct3D is barely functioning on Vista but i feel like it could be possible.

Maybe, but the older Vista DX Graphics Kernel may get in the way (hopefully not, and if so, I hope that expanded ntoskrnl will eventually bring the W7 version to Vista).

Apparently they have specific blocks for 8.x too. I just need a copy and I'll look at it.

15 minutes ago, win32 said:

Maybe, but the older Vista DX Graphics Kernel may get in the way (hopefully not, and if so, I hope that expanded ntoskrnl will eventually bring the W7 version to Vista).

Apparently they have specific blocks for 8.x too. I just need a copy and I'll look at it.

How easy would it be to get it working on 8.x?

7 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

How easy would it be to get it working on 8.x?

Shouldn't be hard, as the DX11 components are equivalent if not more comprehensive on 8.x than 7, and 7/8.x users usually use the same drivers:

32 minutes ago, win32 said:

You want the d3d12 file? Done.

Edited by burd