Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

Which dll's are missing? Files in the KernelEx folder must be registered  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KernelEx\KnownDLLs]. Otherwise these have no function. Does FF 24 - 35 work on your machine?

My recommendation: Paste all dll's (XPSP2 or 3) in the Firefox program folder first and then you can open the DW again to see, if you are missing one. You also can copy uxtheme.dll, userenv.dll, pdh.dll, wtsapi32.dll, psapi.dll (Kex Known dll's) in the FF folder for a better troubleshooting with DW.

And what about Kext - Kstub823.dll / ini file / core.ini entry. Verify it with Ktree.

Edited by schwups

21 hours ago, schwups said:

Which dll's are missing? Files in the KernelEx folder must be registered  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KernelEx\KnownDLLs]. Otherwise these have no function. Does FF 24 - 35 work on your machine?

My recommendation: Paste all dll's (XPSP2 or 3) in the Firefox program folder first and then you can open the DW again to see, if you are missing one. You also can copy uxtheme.dll, userenv.dll, pdh.dll, wtsapi32.dll, psapi.dll (Kex Known dll's) in the FF folder for a better troubleshooting with DW.

And what about Kext - Kstub823.dll / ini file / core.ini entry. Verify it with Ktree.

Thankyou for your response.

So those files all exist in the Kernelex folder, knowndlls list has all five listed in quotes like this "XXX.DLL" however the actual file names are lowercase.

Copying those into the FF folder results in xul.dll saying kernelex.dll is missing. Copying that into the FF folder still results in error on starting. Profiling firefox.exe in dependency walker then shows certcli.dll missing?

Second chance exception then occurs in msvcrt.dll

I'm guessing it's something I haven't done but not entirely sure.

Many thanks

4 hours ago, ojt_1998 said:

Thankyou for your response.

So those files all exist in the Kernelex folder, knowndlls list has all five listed in quotes like this "XXX.DLL" however the actual file names are lowercase.

Copying those into the FF folder results in xul.dll saying kernelex.dll is missing. Copying that into the FF folder still results in error on starting. Profiling firefox.exe in dependency walker then shows certcli.dll missing?

Second chance exception then occurs in msvcrt.dll

I'm guessing it's something I haven't done but not entirely sure.

Many thanks

Try copying all the required .DLLs into System folder instead. I remember doing it and it worked.

@tyukok: It also should work, if all 21 xp files are in the Firefox folder and KernelEx as well as Kext are configured correctly. I had checked that. Which msvcrt.dll version are you using?

@ojt_1998:

"Second chance exception then occurs in msvcrt.dll"

Which operating system do you have? 98 or 98 SE or ME. It isn't tested with 98 (FE). I tested it with msvcrt.dll 6.1.8637.0 (ME version) and msvcrt.dll = msvcr70.dll 7.0.9981.0.

Uxtheme.dll, userenv.dll, pdh.dll, wtsapi32.dll, psapi.dll, msimg32.dll (Kex Known dll's) are part of KernelEx and must be in the KernelEx folder. These files are registered in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KernelEx\KnownDLLs]. The DependencyWalker doesn't find these files. In other words, it can't handle KernelEx. DW recognizes files in the system and the program folder.

So it's no problem, when DW reports missing kernelEX.dll. But xul.dll and firefox.exe have no dependence on certcli.dll here.

"Is the known DLL list in the registry case sensitive?" No

Currently trying on ME.

MSVCRT.DLL is version 6.1.9848

Weirdly I'm now getting XPCOM error. Kernelex settings for XUL and exe are set to XPSP2.

13 hours ago, schwups said:

@ojt_1998: Did you verified KernelEx (verify.exe) and Kext (Ktree - see  Kext Topic) in the meantime?

Verify.exe says Kernelex is installed correctly. Ktree is showing kextstubs under core.ini. Kextstubs is the file from your post earlier on the thread with a renamed 823 file. I assume this is correct?

Kext: Yes, the names of dll and ini must match (e.g. Kstub823.dll => Kexstubs.dll + Kexstubs.ini from my post earlier).

"Verify.exe says Kernelex is installed correctly. Ktree is showing kextstubs under core.ini." Good

"Weirdly I'm now getting XPCOM error. Kernelex settings for XUL and exe are set to XPSP2." :( Sounds like there is something wrong with your KernelEx 4.5 Core files update.

I added API's (FF38/52) - found with the DependencyWalker - to my DIY KernelEx extensions Kexstubs.ini file.
It's for test purposes and it doesn't enable FF 38 or 52 to run. Remember I'm on ME. DW may give differences for 98SE users with or without SP.

Kexstubs.ini

On 11/28/2020 at 10:41 PM, athlonxpuser said:

So I removed KernelEx completely, reinstalled it and then used exactly the same files you mentioned but still nothing has changed. Firefox of various versions will freeze instantly whenever I try to load a page and the only way to make it work is to disable Javascript completely. By the way I also found out that I have the same issues with K-Meleon 74.

Has anyone ruled out problems between a Firewall and Firefox? I can remember that ZoneAlarm 6.x? had made browsing almost impossible for me on ME. That was probably almost 15 years ago.

@jumper

It concerns the update 18: API-MS-Win.reg file (Registry support for Win7 API sets)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think no one had asked that before.
I don't understand these paths "API-MS-Win-....dll"="kex\\..\\Kernel32.dll" and how does it work? Or is it obsolete with 24?

FF49+: Error starting program - The ....Firefox\api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file can't load the desired adress,
and is not relocatable.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:23 PM, schwups said:

I added API's (FF38/52) - found with the DependencyWalker - to my DIY KernelEx extensions Kexstubs.ini file.
It's for test purposes and it doesn't enable FF 38 or 52 to run. Remember I'm on ME. DW may give differences for 98SE users with or without SP.

Kexstubs.ini 7.45 kB · 13 downloads

Checked it now, looks like we'll need to add concrt140.dll to the other .DLLs.

And yeah, api-ms-win-...dll refuses to work no matter what I tried.

"kex\\..\\" is a comment for debugging and a future uninstaller that evaluates to nothing.

Apply API-MS-Win.reg file if you need KernelEx to support Win7 API sets.  Add additional lines as needed.

Do not use API set dll's directly.

Thanks for continuing to push the envelope!