File transfer / alternatives to SMB

dapgo

Occasionally i need to move files between Windows xp computer and other pc in the same intranet.

In the past i used shared folders, but lately i had problems connecting and maybe it is no not the safest method.

What other services are safe and are still available and  windowsXP? any SecureFTP server? other software? what about easeus pc-trans?

Edited by dapgo

I had to do exactly that as the offline files sync suddenly stopped working between my main machine when running Windows 10 and my Netbook when running XP.
Re-enabling SMB 1 on the Windows 10 installation sorted it out straight away.
I hope MS don't eventually permanently disable it.
:)

After trying several FTP servers to exchange files, the old WarFTP seemed to be the easiest one to use. That's how I transfer files between old computers and very old computers, where using an USB stick is a slower option (as with USB V1, everything takes its time). New Linux systems communicate well with the WarFTP Server, but I haven't used Windows 7 or newer with this yet.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:59 PM, Gansangriff said:

After trying several FTP servers to exchange files, the old WarFTP seemed to be the easiest one to use. That's how I transfer files between old computers and very old computers, where using an USB stick is a slower option (as with USB V1, everything takes its time). New Linux systems communicate well with the WarFTP Server, but I haven't used Windows 7 or newer with this yet.

I tried Easeus free pc-trans and it works on windowsXP but the free is scam as the offer 500mb max for the free version but in the practise the app ask for paying when transfering couple megas.

At the moment, as I prefer not using a very oudated server on Windows XP, I am using filezilla client (any client should be a good option) on Windows XP and a recent Filezilla Server on other Windows.

Logged at WindowsXP, I can move files between machines.

Syncthing v1.0.1 and disabling autopupgrade seems a good solution for autosync, note  that it is not running on WIndowsXP since v1.1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone using Syncthing v1.0.1?  It seems a great solution and it works on XP. However I have some problems with automatic updates so several times i had to replace to automatically upgraded app by the v1.0.1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, dapgo said:

I tried Easeus free pc-trans and it works on windowsXP but the free is scam as the offer 500mb max for the free version but in the practise the app ask for paying when transfering couple megas.

At the moment, as I prefer not using a very oudated server on Windows XP, I am using filezilla client (any client should be a good option) on Windows XP and a recent Filezilla Server on other Windows.

Syncthing v1.0.1 and disabling autopupgrade seems a good solution for autosync, note  that it is not running on WIndowsXP since v1.1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, dapgo said:

I

• 3 months later...

By the way, what about cloud technologies and opensource clients as NextCloud/Opencloud?

Have you tried with  XP or ReactOS?

Another cloud technology?