On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

14 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Well, the new endpoint uses SHA2, which only the extended kernel supports. So if we did get it to work, it would require the extended kernel.

Most likely yes. But it would still be interesting to see if it would work.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:47 PM, Dave-H said:

OK, I'll fire up HTTPSProxy, switch off ProxHTTPSProxyMII, and replicate your settings.
You're absolutely right that we need to be comparing two systems that are as similar as possible!

@Dave-H Here are my advanced IE settings. Please check!

https://imgur.com/83qHpbd

And check if HTTPSProxy and IE are not blocked by Malwarebytes Premium and your firewall. Make exclusions or better disable them temporarily when accessing MU.

By the way which firewall do you use? Built-in or a firewall software? My security combination is Avast Premier and Windows 10 Firewall Control XP. The firewall feature in Avast is not installed. Web protection temporarily disabled. Malwarebytes Premium for Windows 3.5.1.2522 (official last version for XP) didn't work properly in my system (very buggy!) so I went back to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 for on demand scan which works fine.

Edited by AstroSkipper
deletion

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Here are my advanced IE settings. Please check!

1193532905_IESettings-Advanced.jpg.19caa001470a2037e30a4f7903dc7cc3.jpg

And check if HTTPSProxy and IE are not blocked by Malwarebytes Premium and your firewall. Make exclusions or better disable them temporarily when accessing MU.

By the way which firewall do you use? Built-in or a firewall software? My security combination is Avast Premier and Windows 10 Firewall Control XP. The firewall feature in Avast is not installed. Web protection temporarily disabled. Malwarebytes Premium for Windows 3.5.1.2522 (official last version for XP) didn't work properly in my system (very buggy!) so I went back to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 for on demand scan which works fine.

A little tip: I would recommend disabling SSL 2.0, as problems with Tls 1.2 can occur. ;)

3 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Managed to install Windows Update Agent 7.6 and now getting 0x80244004. Same as Windows XP before patching.

How did you do that? When running the Update Agent, I get an error message that the Windows version is not supported.

11 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

How did you do that? When running the Update Agent, I get an error message that the Windows version is not supported.

If you go to my update kit on MDL forums, extract it, and then go to the x86 folder. You will see a WUA-Downlevel executable file, put that on the desktop, and run it. Also make sure you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 installed. spacer.png

Edited by xpandvistafan

5 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

A little tip: I would recommend disabling SSL 2.0, as problems with Tls 1.2 can occur.

Thanks for your tip! In my system no interfering or problems detected. By the way did my tip

The old trick to avoid long searches of MU was reinstalling latest cummulative IE update. Resetting of datastore.edb can help too. By the way my search lasts only seconds.

help you?

On 1/29/2022 at 11:40 PM, xpandvistafan said:

If you go to my update kit on MDL forums, extract it, and then go to the x86 folder. You will see a WUA-Downlevel executable file, put that on the desktop, and run it. Also make sure you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 installed. spacer.png

Yay... It works! I installed the agent and added the registry entries and copied the patched wuaueng.dll to c:/winnt/system32 and dllcache.:cheerleader:

E3oWLEk.png

Edited by maile3241